The Student Room Group

How important is it to have ID for clubbing/bars?

I am a mature student, just turned 22 and I'm moving to London for Uni soon. I currently live in a really small town where everyone knows me so I have never needed ID over the age of 18.

The only form of ID I have is my passport which obviously I do not want to take to clubs with me, so my only other option is to fork out £50 on a provisional driving license.

Is it worth doing it just for ID? I do want to drive eventually but there's obviously no need in London. Are they strict about ID in clubs and bars?

What ID is everyone else taking?

Scroll to see replies

I am pretty sure everyone uses their driving licence, as it's small and easy to keep handy in a wallet or purse. They will be checking at doors as you come in, 90% of clubs.
Clubs make it a rule to pretty much check 100% of people that come through their doors.

I guess I could count on 2 hands the number of time I've gotten into a club without being ID'd [with a beard]

I know when I worked in a club and bar we'd accept:

http://www.citizencard.com/
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
How important is it to you that you can get into everywhere you want to?

I'm 23, I look very obviously not under 18, maybe a few people might think I could be under 21, very obviously not over 25. I wouldn't go out without ID. I don't get ID'd all the time, even in London, but it seems to depend who I am with. If there's younger people in the group (as there would be if you went to a society thing for example) then generally we'll all get ID'd. If I'm with work people then I don't get ID'd since the majority of them look obviously over 25. But not getting in when you are old enough but just don't have ID is **** and will ruin your night at least semi-regularly.
Reply 4
It's critical. You WILL need it for clubs. Just finished my 2nd year of uni and have always been asked for ID, as has everyone else I've gone out with. Pubs can be a bit different though.

Clubs will always check due to under 18s thinking they can sneak in on the student nights.
Reply 5
I use my drivers license, but personally, it's not worth the risk to go out without any ID.

Some clubs are more lenient than others. Even the club I frequent still ID's me from time to time. You don't want to be 'that guy/girl' who doesn't get in and has to end up going home.
I'm 27 and I get asked for ID a lot in London.

I haven't been asked for ID regularly since 18 in Liverpool.
Original post by ddtown
I am a mature student, just turned 22 and I'm moving to London for Uni soon. I currently live in a really small town where everyone knows me so I have never needed ID over the age of 18.

The only form of ID I have is my passport which obviously I do not want to take to clubs with me, so my only other option is to fork out £50 on a provisional driving license.

Is it worth doing it just for ID? I do want to drive eventually but there's obviously no need in London. Are they strict about ID in clubs and bars?

What ID is everyone else taking?

I think you can get some government id witth a 'pass' logo on it which they accept which is cheaper than a prov drivers licence
I've always been ID'd going into clubs in Glasgow so I can assume it's either the same or stricter in London. Just pay for the provisional, you can get those other cards with the 'pass' logo but not everywhere accepts them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
You really need ID. Be prepared to get turned away at every club while all of your friends get in.
Reply 10
Pay to get a provisional - you do not want to lose your passport and you will need ID.
What's wrong with a passport?
What are you supposed to take if you aren't qualified to drive and don't want to take your passport?
Original post by KindofGood
What are you supposed to take if you aren't qualified to drive and don't want to take your passport?

You don't need to be qualified to drive to have a provisional licence? It's your learner licence. You just pay for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DCFCfan4eva
I think you can get some government id witth a 'pass' logo on it which they accept which is cheaper than a prov drivers licence

Yeah but its so easy to forge most places won't accept it
Original post by jelly1000
Yeah but its so easy to forge most places won't accept it

I have one of the older style provisionals. I usually just show my bank card along with it and they always let me in. Never had any problems (so far!).
The £50 is ridiculous for a provisional driving license but yeah, before starting university last year I had to fork out that for ID to get into clubs before starting.
Get a citizens card or whatever they use these days.
I'm fairly confident a provisional is only about £20? Maybe that's just replacement ones?

However, you will need ID. And eventually you're probably going to learn to drive so the provisional will come in handy down the line
Original post by Calllu-m
I'm fairly confident a provisional is only about £20? Maybe that's just replacement ones?

However, you will need ID. And eventually you're probably going to learn to drive so the provisional will come in handy down the line

Yeah, £20's for replacements. It's £50 for your first one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest