The Student Room Group

Why do men sometimes put the word man in front of words?

Man-purse, man-hug, man-whore, man-slut? I don't get it, I don't think it's needed, a purse is a purse, a hug is a hug a whore/slut, is a whore/slut. I don't think gender/sex matters at all.

Scroll to see replies

You're man-overanalysing this.
you're right it should be brah
A man purse looks different to a purse
A man hug is different to a 'normal' hug

You're overthinking this, shhh and let it be
Because when used without the 'man' prefix, those words have certain connotations. Imagine the horror if someone thought they were a fairy!!!!
I am not sure of the answer to this but I am 100% sure it is sexist and oppressing women.
To look hard and you know to look manly
Reply 7
The default of those things is associated with women or gay men. It mostly seems to be an american thing, they seem obsessed with keeping the sexes very different behavioral wise. Growing up in eastern Europe I never knew men aren't supposed to drive small cars, drink sugary alcohol or wear pink. Or shock/horror kiss on the cheeks from time to time!
Do we?
Original post by MidnightDream
A man purse looks different to a purse
A man hug is different to a 'normal' hug

You're overthinking this, shhh and let it be

A purse is a purse no matter what it looks like. A hug is a hug no matter what happens during it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MylittlePlusle
A purse is a purse no matter what it looks like. A hugs is a hug no matter what happens during it.

It's light-hearted, perhaps even slightly self-parodying.
What difference does it make?
Original post by PsychadelicScarf
What difference does it make?

The use of the word man makes the object or action different from "normal" things.
The use of the word man makes the object or action different from "normal" things.

...unless it is not entirely serious. No self-respecting adult male would seriously try to distinguish any of these things by his gender. You're presuming that some inherent difference is perceived because men are doing it but I think when men and women do this they are poking fun at the sensitive male ego and societal pressure to appear macho at all times. By putting 'man' in front of 'bag', they are mocking the fact that in society things such as these often are differentiated by gender - such as blue for boys, pink for girls; by differentiating in this ridiculously self-conscious way on matters and things which usually are fairly asexual socially people are humorously criticising exactly the sort of attitude you are under the impression they are promoting.

...that being said, there are some instances where it has more serious practical value, such as in 'man crush', which can be used when a heterosexual male wants to express admiration for a man without giving the impression that they swing that way...
a male and a female are different from each other

deal with it
Original post by Id and Ego seek
You're man-overanalysing this.

I think you mean overmanalysing.

Not really. Like Birkenhead says, its mostly a joke.

Anyway, that's not what I meant. I want to know what peoples problem with it is.

Original post by Birkenhead
...unless it is not entirely serious. No self-respecting adult male would seriously try to distinguish any of these things by his gender. You're presuming that some inherent difference is perceived because men are doing it but I think when men and women do this they are poking fun at the sensitive male ego and societal pressure to appear macho at all times. By putting 'man' in front of 'bag', they are mocking the fact that in society things such as these often are differentiated by gender - such as blue for boys, pink for girls; by differentiating in this ridiculously self-conscious way on matters and things which usually are fairly asexual socially people are humorously criticising exactly the sort of attitude you are under the impression they are promoting.

...that being said, there are some instances where it has more serious practical value, such as in 'man crush', which can be used when a heterosexual male wants to express admiration for a man without giving the impression that they swing that way...

Exactly. Though to your last point, I believe that women have 'girl crushes' as well?
Reply 17
Gyals do it too man :cool:
Man you are sooo right
it's to mark a difference between 'man' things and other things. The implication is that the 'man' thing is better than the 'non-man' thing. It's just another way for the patriarchy to keep women down.
Man-purse, man-hug, man-whore, man-slut? I don't get it, I don't think it's needed, a purse is a purse, a hug is a hug a whore/slut, is a whore/slut. I don't think gender/sex matters at all.

Quick Reply

Latest