The Student Room Group

miser lifts a weight off his shoulders

miser's lifting blog
"It was a slow start but he picked it up eventually."

Intro
Originally this blog was about me getting in shape. "I don't really care about getting strong except insofar as it'll improve my body," I wrote.

"Who's that guy?" says today's me. "I want to be strong."

This blog is about exactly that. Not just strong with weights but strong - strong mind, strong body, a strong spirit.

Starting stats (16/07/2014)
6'1" and 67kg
BMI: 19.5
Body fat: 13.2%
Skeletal muscle: 42.4%
Resting calories: 1577

Current stats (13/06/2017)
74.8kg
Check latest post for PBs

Lifting objective
80kg and lifting 140/100/180 (squat/bench/deadlift 1RM)

Schedule
I hit the gym Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. My gym's closed for maintenance on the 3rd Monday of each month (it's a Japan thing) - in those cases I bump my workouts to the next weekday and try to fit in a workout on Saturday. I started judo classes at the Kodokan and also train there.

Monday: Gym
Tuesday: Judo
Wednesday: Gym
Thursday: Judo
Friday: Gym
Saturday: Judo
Sunday: Rest

Auxiliary habits
Nutritionally I aim to eat at least 3,000 kcal per day. I'm also trying to improve at meditation, resistance to cold and being impervious to stress, so I might occasionally mention stuff about those things here also.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A more specific goal would be a lot better and would help you concentrate more tbh
Reply 2
Original post by ronmack
A more specific goal would be a lot better and would help you concentrate more tbh

For now it's just a place holder really. I tried for a while to think of one but I don't know enough about the figures to come up with one. Don't know what my ideal weight would be or how much I'd ideally want to be able to lift or any of that. I'm a complete beginner. :h:
In.

I'd aim to be 80kg and lifting 140/100/180 (squat/bench/deadlift 1RM) . Those are some nice round numbers to get to as a newb. :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Motorbiker
In.

I'd aim to be 80kg and lifting 140/100/180 (squat/bench/deadlift 1RM) . Those are some nice round numbers to get to as a newb. :tongue:

Ok great! I'll go for that then.
in
Reply 6
In. Look forward to seeing you progress!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Squirb
In. Look forward to seeing you progress!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. :biggrin:
In!
In.

Good luck mate, 2,3,4 and you'll look pretty good tbh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Angry cucumber
In.

Good luck mate, 2,3,4 and you'll look pretty good tbh!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
Reply 12
Yay! :biggrin:
out
in
Hey Miser! In.
As a fellow ICF athlete, In
Reply 17
Had my gym induction today! And man, I'm a total weakling! Just using an empty barbell was tough.

I learnt the basics of all my exercises though and my instructor told me I had good form. He recommended using little to no weights for a few weeks until I get used to the exercises and slowly amp it up from there.

My next visit will be on Sunday where I'll try to complete a full workout according to the programme. For some exercises (e.g. close-grip bench press) calculating 1RMs is too ambitious and I'll start from 0.
Original post by miser
Had my gym induction today! And man, I'm a total weakling! Just using an empty barbell was tough.

I learnt the basics of all my exercises though and my instructor told me I had good form. He recommended using little to no weights for a few weeks until I get used to the exercises and slowly amp it up from there.

My next visit will be on Sunday where I'll try to complete a full workout according to the programme. For some exercises (e.g. close-grip bench press) calculating 1RMs is too ambitious and I'll start from 0.

We all start somewhere :ahee: Good luck mate :h:
Think I started with 40 kg squats, 30kg bench and 40kg Deadlift. So that's only 10 or 5 per side.

Once you've got the technique down u you'll fly along.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest