The Student Room Group

Law-based EPQ question help

I am applying to study law at uni and would like to do my EPQ based on law.

I have been considering one based on the proposition for repealing the Human Rights Act 1998, but there are so many points tied to it now, such as leaving the European Convention on Human Rights and reforming the European Court of Human Rights that I am not sure it would work.

Alternatively, I could do something on the accessibility of the legal profession for women, but I am aware this might be overdone and also hard to pin down as all the changes Grayling has made/is making are affecting it so much.

Please help! Thank you :smile:
J
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by JLC72
I am applying to study law at uni and would like to do my EPQ based on law.

I have been considering one based on the proposition for repealing the Human Rights Act 1998, but there are so many points tied to it now, such as leaving the European Convention on Human Rights and reforming the European Court of Human Rights that I am not sure it would work.

Alternatively, I could do something on the accessibility of the legal profession for women, but I am aware this might be overdone and also hard to pin down as all the changes Grayling has made/is making are affecting it so much.

Please help! Thank you :smile:
J

I did my EPQ on Law so might be able to help.

The 1998 HRA would demonstrate good awareness of current affairs, especially with Cameron's reshuffle to implement the relatively unheard of Jeremy Wright MP as Attorney General. You would, however, need to add further focus to the 1998 HRA question in order to be able to answer with enough breadth and detail to get a good mark. To do this perhaps think of possible applications of the Act, or time periods where there is dispute over its effectiveness.

You haven't really asked a question on this thread, so I'll give you some general pointers and if you have any further questions you can PM me or reply here.

The key is debate; so many people choose one sided questions where there is very little literature or debate to form an excellent dissertation.

So, things to think about:

(i) Is it controversial?
(ii) Are there a variety of sources commenting or analysing it? -eg Newspapers, Journals, books, websites, etc.
(iii) Including economic, social, political and legal analysis, how many points would you have to cover? (I would suggest no more than one for each side of economic and social/political, and perhaps two or three each side for legal; so 8-10 points all in maximum) - if there's easily enough then the question needs focussing.
(iv) Of the above points, is there enough content to write about 3-400 words of closely argued analysis?
(v) Would you enjoy talking about it to an admissions tutor at a University? - if yes then you'll get more out of the question and it'll show.

It's really important to get the question nearly right first time or you'll waste a lot of time re-researching stuff when you realise there's only one side about 3 months in.

Let me know if there's anything more. If you want to fire question titles, over here or on PM, I'd be quite happy to tell you if they'd be okay - but there's no point me suggesting anything if you might not enjoy it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending