Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
tsch.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
The second I inhale a milligram of their smoke, I don't have any sympathy for the killer. Would they quietly tolerate me kicking the **** out of them, so long as I promised I was trying to give up? I doubt it - so they can get lost damaging my health. It's a dirty, smelly habit, which kills thousands of innocent people every year. It's legal genocide, and at just over £5 a packet, it's far too cheap. I can't wait for it to be banned in public, after which, I will take great pleasure in informing people when they are breaking the law.
Reply 42
Do you not think that if it were so easy to stop, we all would? Funny how even though obesity is the bigger worldwide killer, you don't make threats to beat up the fat kid.
Reply 43
me
have you ever seen a heroin addict go cold turkey?

Relaxis
is more shakeable than nicotine

I'll take that as a no. I don't think I was that offensive, I could've been a lot worse, and I think you need to learn that you can't try to shut people up when they say things you don't like by playing the "I know people who died" card.
Reply 44
Relaxis
Do you not think that if it were so easy to stop, we all would? Funny how even though obesity is the bigger worldwide killer, you don't make threats to beat up the fat kid.
I take exception. I am obese, and very much alive... Not just that, I am incredibly active in terms of sports and whatnot. And I have never fallen on and killed anybody.

I too long for smoking to be banned in public, nail on the head - Chris.
You miss my point entirely. The fat kid doensn't hurt me with their chips, chocolate and cream cakes. If someone wants to harm themself, that's their right. It's not somebody's right to harm me. Hence, I wasn't threatening anyone, I was giving an exaggerated example of how it's ridiculous that one person should have to accept being damaged by another.

I can tell you what's easier than stopping - not starting.
Reply 46
Ok, easy to not start but people like myself did start and started a long time ago. It's not like it's a newfound thing. I wish I'd never started in the first place - and wouldn't encourage anyone to start either. When I smoke I smoke outside, not around children, not at the table - but I will smoke for instance in a pub or club. But at the moment I'm trying to give it up without patches, pills or anything and it is VERY difficult. You should treat smokers not as idiots but as people who have a problem - the majority really do want to give up.

Plus if they die everyone else gets to feel a little bit quietly self-righteous.

No, that is what I found offensive. I'll be sure to steer clear of your sort once I get to durham.
Reply 47
TKR
I'll take that as a no. I don't think I was that offensive, I could've been a lot worse, and I think you need to learn that you can't try to shut people up when they say things you don't like by playing the "I know people who died" card.
It's the most boring defense mechanism in the world. Take this as a compliment Relaxis, you are one of the LAST people I expect to play the I know people who died card thingy, you seemed to refined for that before you said it..
RobbieC
I take exception. I am obese, and very much alive... Not just that, I am incredibly active in terms of sports and whatnot. And I have never fallen on and killed anybody.

I too long for smoking to be banned in public, nail on the head - Chris.

Robbie, we could go around Durham with two pairs of scissors chopping illegal cigarettes once the legislation comes into force...?
Reply 49
Relaxis
No, that is what I found offensive. I'll be sure to steer clear of this crowd once I get to durham.
Dude, as long as you don't smoke in my face I won't lecture you or anything. I expect someone in my company to not smoke in it though, as a rule of thumb. Ie, my mum goes outside if she has a cigarette.
Reply 50
ChrisH2107
Robbie, we could go around Durham with two pairs of scissors chopping illegal cigarettes once the legislation comes into force...?
Bucket of water??

Or a weather device to make it rain...but then we would need macs... and to invent one.
RobbieC
Bucket of water??

Or a weather device to make it rain...but then we would need macs... and to invent one.

I had thought of these creative requirements you see, that's why i suggested the scissors! :wink:
Reply 52
RobbieC
It's the most boring defense mechanism in the world. Take this as a compliment Relaxis, you are one of the LAST people I expect to play the I know people who died card thingy, you seemed to refined for that before you said it..

It's not the "knowing" part that I was getting at - if anyone has seen anyone dying of cancer and knew that they were smokers - even the smoker himself - thinks "**** - I have to quit smoking". Doctors are even allowed to refuse transplants and chemotherapy to cancer patients still smoking. Yet these people still smoke. It's not a play on sympathy for the people I know who've died, I'm trying to highlight to what extent this drug can control you EVEN WHEN you're dying from it. Robbie, I'm much more refined than that :biggrin:

And banned smoking in public will mean inside bars, clubs, discos, restaurants etc... like it is in Toronto here. People will still be able to walk outside and smoke on the street.
Relaxis
Ok, easy to not start but people like myself did start and started a long time ago. It's not like it's a newfound thing. I wish I'd never started in the first place - and wouldn't encourage anyone to start either. When I smoke I smoke outside, not around children, not at the table - but I will smoke for instance in a pub or club. But at the moment I'm trying to give it up without patches, pills or anything and it is VERY difficult. You should treat smokers not as idiots but as people who have a problem - the majority really do want to give up.

Thats fair enough. I obviously fully support quitting, I just won't agree that smokers are 'victims' per se. It's like I said, if you confine the harm to yourself - and you sound like you do - then it's your choice and not my business. But good luck quitting, you can do it I'm sure.
Reply 54
OK, but for future reference - not just you but others - try not to fly off the handle before you know what's being said. As much as you may be anti-smoking, try to remember that once you're at our age - it's not as "cool" as it used to be when we were say - 13 or so. I know as does every other smoker that it's a bad habit. Just because a person smokes, doesn't make them satanic deranged junkies.

Unless of course you're a member of aerosmith.
Reply 55
Relaxis
No, that is what I found offensive. I'll be sure to steer clear of your sort once I get to durham.

Oh, you won't need to try very hard :smile:
Reply 56
I'm sure.
Reply 57
Ban Smoking!
Reply 58
W/e, this/you are getting boring. I'm done. see you perhaps in october.
Reply 59
Internet says Lose.

Latest