The Student Room Group

Senior Status (or Affiliated) Law Degree

Hi,

Basically, I'm going to be finishing my undergraduate physics degree in the near future, and have intentions of going into patent law. I have a few questions though, if anyone can answer:
1) Would a senior state law degree really make me any better off than going straight to a firm to train straight away with them?
2) Should I complete a masters in physics first (for anyone who knows about patent attorneys)?
3) Can I apply to both Oxford and Cambridge?
4) Would 2 years more degree work at either of these outweigh the costs due to benefits in the future?
Cheers if anyone knows anything.
Original post by edwardjg
Hi,

Basically, I'm going to be finishing my undergraduate physics degree in the near future, and have intentions of going into patent law. I have a few questions though, if anyone can answer:
1) Would a senior state law degree really make me any better off than going straight to a firm to train straight away with them?
2) Should I complete a masters in physics first (for anyone who knows about patent attorneys)?
3) Can I apply to both Oxford and Cambridge?
4) Would 2 years more degree work at either of these outweigh the costs due to benefits in the future?
Cheers if anyone knows anything.

1) They just require you to study a science degree and then apply. They provide all the necessary training.
2) Yes probably best. A lot of patent attorneys have masters minimum, and often a phd - though this isn't required.
3) No. One or the other.
4) I don't entirely understand this question.

Hope those help, anything else just ask :smile:
Reply 2
How does the senior status law degree at Kent compare to the Birmingham, Southampton, Nottingham or Queen Mary Senior status degree. Got a place at Birmigham but having cold feet about leaving essex.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending