The Student Room Group

Medical Universities offering places through clearing

I applied for Medicine and was predicted A*AAA, however i have not been offer a place by any medical university.
I know that there is a slight chance of getting a place though clearing. Therefore i want to know which Medical universities have been know to enter clearing, so that i can ring them up on results day and enquire if they have any places due to other applicants not achieving grades. Also would it be better ringing universities which i had initially apllied to first? ...such as Cardiff where i got an interview?
Obviously some universities are more likely to enter clearing than others, so i want to identify which universities to ring first.
Thanks
From my knowledge no university enters clearing. I was in a similar position, I took a gap year and applied again. Got offered a place to study medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ArsenalFaz96
I applied for Medicine and was predicted A*AAA, however i have not been offer a place by any medical university.
I know that there is a slight chance of getting a place though clearing. Therefore i want to know which Medical universities have been know to enter clearing, so that i can ring them up on results day and enquire if they have any places due to other applicants not achieving grades. Also would it be better ringing universities which i had initially apllied to first? ...such as Cardiff where i got an interview?
Obviously some universities are more likely to enter clearing than others, so i want to identify which universities to ring first.
Thanks

It's not unheard of but extremely rare. This is because there are never really any places left, and when there are the university usually wont want to give a place to someone who hasn't been through their application process. I would think you're more likely to have a success phoning those who interviewed you etc but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by ibbyb94
From my knowledge no university enters clearing. I was in a similar position, I took a gap year and applied again. Got offered a place to study medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you get up to during your gap year, as i am currently planing on what to do for my gap year.How else did you improve your medical application?
Original post by ArsenalFaz96
What did you get up to during your gap year, as i am currently planing on what to do for my gap year.How else did you improve your medical application?

Hey there sorry for the late reply, was on holiday. I did the most basic stuff to be honest with you, but from august till September all I did was study for ukcat, study study study that's the most important thing, make use of your time coz you won't have school work to worry about. AFter that I just signed up for lots of voluntary work, local charity shops, hospices, and the first aid course with the British Red Cross, just do voluntary work, and mention this in your personal statement as it will help a lot. I also read a few books that interested me on genetics, and included this in my ps. I completley rewrote my ps, so that was another thing I guess. I also learnt to drive and got my driving license, there's lots of things you can get upto, even find a job if you're lucky enough to get one. But in terms of improving my application, study HARD for ukcat, improve your ps even if it means deleting everything and starting from square one and do as much voluntary work as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chances are VERY slim, but it happens so on results day call them, starting with unis where you were rejected post interview, then pre-interview, then just the others/

Quick Reply

Latest