The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
muncrun
Trust me, there really is no need to go memorising everything before you start. The whole idea of such preliminary reading is just to get you familiar with law and try to get you into the mindset of thinking like a lawyer.

Furthermore, there isn't any need to read every book on that reading list from cover to cover - a lot of the books mentioned above essentially cover the same thing. I really do think it would be a waste of your money to go out and get every one there. The torts one, the criminal justice one, and just one other 'intoduction to law' book from that list would be enough in my opinion. Save your the rest of your cash for the books you're really going to need once you start your course.

everything in moderation, right? I couldn't possibly afford many, or at the moment any, of them. I'll definitely take a more sensible approach once the whole exam thing's out the way and it's actually possible to think straight! And i did hear that it was important to wait until you knew which books really mattered before getting them all. (And with the whole Scots/Eng. thing I've every excuse for leaving it till the last moment :smile: )
Reply 21
The Duck
everything in moderation, right? I couldn't possibly afford many, or at the moment any, of them. I'll definitely take a more sensible approach once the whole exam thing's out the way and it's actually possible to think straight! And i did hear that it was important to wait until you knew which books really mattered before getting them all. (And with the whole Scots/Eng. thing I've every excuse for leaving it till the last moment :smile: )

Absolutely. They'll teach you everything you read over the summer once your course starts, anyway. But it is good to have an idea of what everything is about before you start - with law it is very difficult to find your feet at first.

Feel welcome to PM me with your email address if you just want something to look at which is pretty much the same as those books on your reading list. Just a few documents, and maybe a few web links.
Reply 22
priya
my friend leah has been accepted to sidney sussex to do law- she's had a prelim reading list, which was like 20 books or something :eek:

Hang on! Why haven't you sent her to the forum yet? There are more important things than reading lists, you know.

Latest

Trending

Trending