The Student Room Group

Should I aim high and apply those epic universities, or just let it go???

Though I always picture myself as a very ambitious person, but the fact is that I habitually SCREW ALL my most important academic tests, in the mock exam of IGCSE, I got 5A*s and 2As, I thought I was going to nail it, but the result came back 1A* 4As, and two I'm too ashamed to tell....I get panicked before each test and I can't help it...All my teachers think my AS results are something they can look forward to, but I know enventually I will only let them down. I'm not a swellhead, but I'm aware that my grades doesn't match my ability, should fight harder for a rigid conditional offer from a university I think I ought to go, or just apply other universities that only match my grades?
Original post by Violentine
Though I always picture myself as a very ambitious person, but the fact is that I habitually SCREW ALL my most important academic tests, in the mock exam of IGCSE, I got 5A*s and 2As, I thought I was going to nail it, but the result came back 1A* 4As, and two I'm too ashamed to tell....I get panicked before each test and I can't help it...All my teachers think my AS results are something they can look forward to, but I know enventually I will only let them down. I'm not a swellhead, but I'm aware that my grades doesn't match my ability, should fight harder for a rigid conditional offer from a university I think I ought to go, or just apply other universities that only match my grades?

You should probably come back when you've actually got your AS grades. A lot can happen from now until the end of year 12...You could totally get 5 A*s. You may not get even one. Just wait and see what you get first.
Reply 2
Original post by InadequateJusticex
You should probably come back when you've actually got your AS grades. A lot can happen from now until the end of year 12...You could totally get 5 A*s. You may not get even one. Just wait and see what you get first.

thank you for your suggestion, let's wait and see...:smile:
Train yourself. It matters how you take a test and you can get a tutor or find some way to go at it like a sporting event. You can turn it around. Definitely go for it!

My d was having a hard time with maths tests (in France), even though she scored extremely high on voluntary tests and felt she understood it well. We got her a tutor, who drilled her with prep for how to do the test, right down to the kind of pencils you should bring, and she scored in the 99th percentile and is now at Cam.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4

Perhaps you should consider how the universities will evaluate your performance when you are studying your degree. Unless with training you can stop under-performing at "final hurdle" type exams you may do better to look at universities with more ongoing assessment, open book or 48-hour exams, where you may achieve a high degree grade that one shot exams where a bomb could land you with a 2:2 or a 3rd.

If you panic during IGCSEs, your head might just explode in exam term at Cambridge.

As Colman says, do consider whether you would be able to handle the assessment style.
Original post by ClickItBack
If you panic during IGCSEs, your head might just explode in exam term at Cambridge.

As Colman says, do consider whether you would be able to handle the assessment style.

This is ridiculous. You can learn to cope with exam stress, just as you can train yourself on how to take them.
Original post by alcibiade
This is ridiculous. You can learn to cope with exam stress, just as you can train yourself on how to take them.

Obviously. But the OP did not mention anything about working on his/her ability to cope with exam stress. On the contrary they are asking if they should apply despite this problem. In response, I simply stated the fact that the pressure at Cambridge for most subjects, particularly during exam term, is orders of magnitude above school exams. It's something you don't fully appreciate until you go through it yourself.

If the OP is able to find a way to deal with such so that it doesn't affect his/her performance, then that's great. If not, I stand by my suggestion that he/she should seriously consider whether Cambridge is for him/her. Why force someone who doesn't like exams to take an entirely exam-assessed course? There are plenty of other good universities which are less exam-heavy; you don't need to go to Oxbridge to get a good tertiary education.
Obviously. But the OP did not mention anything about working on his/her ability to cope with exam stress. On the contrary they are asking if they should apply despite this problem. In response, I simply stated the fact that the pressure at Cambridge for most subjects, particularly during exam term, is orders of magnitude above school exams. It's something you don't fully appreciate until you go through it yourself.

If the OP is able to find a way to deal with such so that it doesn't affect his/her performance, then that's great. If not, I stand by my suggestion that he/she should seriously consider whether Cambridge is for him/her. Why force someone who doesn't like exams to take an entirely exam-assessed course? There are plenty of other good universities which are less exam-heavy; you don't need to go to Oxbridge to get a good tertiary education.

With all due respect, what I was objecting to was the snotty arrogance of your tone.
With all due respect, what I was objecting to was the snotty arrogance of your tone.

Oh please. Mildly colourful language used to make a serious point is now 'snotty arrogance'. I don't even see the arrogance bit - it's not like I'm suggesting OP is any the inferior to me for struggling with exam stress.

In any case, I'll take being snottily arrogant and making a point the OP should take into careful consideration over something more generically 'nice' but useless.
Oh please. Mildly colourful language used to make a serious point is now 'snotty arrogance'. I don't even see the arrogance bit - it's not like I'm suggesting OP is any the inferior to me for struggling with exam stress.

In any case, I'll take being snottily arrogant and making a point the OP should take into careful consideration over something more generically 'nice' but useless.

Yes, snotty arrogance. Why, if you weren't somewhat aware of it, do you feel the need to refute it? This is a young person, unsure of herself, and you blithely make a "mildly colorful" cruel remark. I know what kind of person you are.

My daughter is in Cam and is from an unconventional background. She heard the right word at the right time from many generous educators, but the process was tenuous and never certain. A cruel idiot at the wrong time might have derailed her. I am not accusing you of being that bad, but you appear well on your way to me. I hope you think about that.

I want to encourage the originator of the thread. Cam in phenomenal, it lives up to its reputation, and I hope many more unconventional and interesting people attempt to get in. That is where I am coming from.
(edited 9 years ago)
This Quote sums it all up!
Leo Burnett
“When you reach for the stars, you may not get one, but you won't come up with a hand full of mud either.”
-Leo Burnett
Yes, snotty arrogance. Why, if you weren't somewhat aware of it, do you feel the need to refute it? This is a young person, unsure of herself, and you blithely make a "mildly colorful" cruel remark. I know what kind of person you are.

My daughter is in Cam and is from an unconventional background. She heard the right word at the right time from many generous educators, but the process was tenuous and never certain. A cruel idiot at the wrong time might have derailed her. I am not accusing you of being that bad, but you appear well on your way to me. I hope you think about that.

I want to encourage the originator of the thread. Cam in phenomenal, it lives up to its reputation, and I hope many more unconventional and interesting people attempt to get in. That is where I am coming from.

I think it is rarely helpful to call people names on the internet and you as an adult should be careful of passing judgement on a student who is trying to be helpful.

We are all trying to encourage people to apply, especially from less commonly tread paths, but it is right that the decision is an informed one and Cambridge is not right for everyone. This is not about background but about somebody deciding for themselves if it is the best option.
Let it go...let it go...can't hold it back anymoooooooore
Original post by Colmans
I think it is rarely helpful to call people names on the internet and you as an adult should be careful of passing judgement on a student who is trying to be helpful.

We are all trying to encourage people to apply, especially from less commonly tread paths, but it is right that the decision is an informed one and Cambridge is not right for everyone. This is not about background but about somebody deciding for themselves if it is the best option.

You may be right, Colmans. I reacted to what I thought was high-handed and mean spirited, perhaps wrongly. There is a lot of nastiness on these college sites and I get fed up with the haughtiness. You are a thoughtful contributor, I've noticed you.

Quick Reply

Latest