The Student Room Group

HELP!! Is Pharmacy truly saturated?

I'm currently in year 12, and I'd like to go on and study Pharmacy at either Aston University or Birmingham (wait until it gets its accreditation...which it will). Anyhoo, I'm very passionate about Pharmacy and I really want to pursue it. However, I don't want to study it, if there are no jobs out there. Of course, Universities will do their best to sell Pharmacy as a course, but really and truly, this is my future. I don't want to make the wrong decision. I can't afford to take risks.
I recently did a work placement at a Pharmacy and I absolutely loved it. Prior to this, I had no idea what I wanted to become. Everyday I would say something different. But now, I'm absolutely sure that this is what I want to do. But if there are no jobs out there, within this sector, then there is no point. The manager at the Pharmacy also stated that I could do my pre-registration with them.
I've done my research and it appeals to me. Except for the fact, that a new law has been passed which states no one is allowed to set up new pharmacies, due to its saturation. I think 24 hour pharmacies are exempt from this. Not sure :/
What to do guys??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aaisha.Akhtar
I'm currently in year 12, and I'd like to go on and study Pharmacy at either Aston University or Birmingham (wait until it gets its accreditation...which it will). Anyhoo, I'm very passionate about Pharmacy and I really want to pursue it. However, I don't want to study it, if there are no jobs out there. Of course, Universities will do their best to sell Pharmacy as a course, but really and truly, this is my future. I don't want to make the wrong decision. I can't afford to take risks.
I recently did a work placement at a Pharmacy and I absolutely loved it. Prior to this, I had no idea what I wanted to become. Everyday I would say something different. But now, I'm absolutely sure that this is what I want to do. But if there are no jobs out there, within this sector, then there is no point. The manager at the Pharmacy also stated that I could do my pre-registration with them.
I've done my research and it appeals to me. Except for the fact, that a new law has been passed which states no one is allowed to set up new pharmacies, due to its saturation. I think 24 hour pharmacies are exempt from this. Not sure :/
What to do guys??

My brother is a pharmacist, his advice? Dont study pharmacy, study medicine or dentistry.
Student numbers are not capped by the government for pharmacy and so new pharmacy schools are getting opened everywhere. Too many graduates.
Reply 2
Original post by ando181
My brother is a pharmacist, his advice? Dont study pharmacy, study medicine or dentistry.
Student numbers are not capped by the government for pharmacy and so new pharmacy schools are getting opened everywhere. Too many graduates.

Haha, why does everyone say that? It is really so bad? Tbh I wanted to study medicine, but settled for pharmacy hoping it would be less stress. I also really dislike chemistry.
Reply 3
Pharmacy is saturated - unis are going to sell it, but do you really want to be another stat for the unemployed? If its something you really want to go go for it, but have you experienced other medical fields? E.g. Optometry/ dentistry?
Original post by M-Dog
Pharmacy is saturated - unis are going to sell it, but do you really want to be another stat for the unemployed? If its something you really want to go go for it, but have you experienced other medical fields? E.g. Optometry/ dentistry?

Optometry is the same as pharmacy, student numbers are not controlled by the government and so any university can open a optometry school.
Only medicine/dentistry and veterinary science numbers are controlled by the government.
Reply 5
Original post by ando181
Optometry is the same as pharmacy, student numbers are not controlled by the government and so any university can open a optometry school.
Only medicine/dentistry and veterinary science numbers are controlled by the government.

Is it currently over subscribed? Only a few institutions actually have optom schools right?
So you're currently studying pharmacy? What year are you in? Hows it going?
What to do guys??

I'm in your position, really thought pharmacy could be for me but every week knocked back by another article or comment that pharmacy has a saturated job market. I went to a summer school at UEA and expressed my concerns, and even the head of admissions said that "you can't just walk into a job" which I think roughly translates as "it's hard out there". My mum is a nurse and often sees pre-reg hospital pharmacists on the ward, as well as qualified pharmacists, who say that jobs are scarce also. What really pisses me off is that in UEAs pharmacy prospectus it says that there is still a demand for pharmacists - dont always trust what the universities say.
Reply 8
I've just finished my first year of studying Pharmacy, and my advice is stay away if you don't have the conviction for the subject and the career.

If anybody reading this is considering putting Pharmacy down as an insurance choice, please don't. If they want to do pharmacy because they want to earn lots of money and live the easy life, don't do it.

However if you truly have an interest and a passion, and pharmacy is your first choice, the thing you really want to do, then definitely go for it.

I love pharmacy. I never considered another career path or subject, and I think as long as you're passionate about it and you work hard, you just have to trust that it'll pay off and you'll find a job. I'm not worried about the future because I know I care about Pharmacy. I think the people who complain about pharmacy and can't find a job are the ones who don't have the passion, who got into pharmacy because they failed at something else, and who aren't willing to work hard.

You sound like the right kind of person for Pharmacy, so in this case, I say apply :smile: Good luck to you!
Well I'm on my 2nd gap year and didn't get into dental student again. Really frustrated now. Any other courses out there that's good at the moment? I LM steering towards optometry at the moment. I studied bio, chem and psychology at a-level and achieved 3As. Any ideas on what I could do now? I think dentistry dream is over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by khalidpatel
Well I'm on my 2nd gap year and didn't get into dental student again. Really frustrated now. Any other courses out there that's good at the moment? I LM steering towards optometry at the moment. I studied bio, chem and psychology at a-level and achieved 3As. Any ideas on what I could do now? I think dentistry dream is over.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it not possible to become a dental hygienist and therapist and then top up your degree and become a dentist? I'm not sure, throwing a suggestion out there.
Original post by M-Dog
Is it not possible to become a dental hygienist and therapist and then top up your degree and become a dentist? I'm not sure, throwing a suggestion out there.

yeah I did apply to Portsmouth to study dental hygiene/therapy I got rejected and they offered me pharmacy instead :confused: Plus theres no guarantee that you'll get a place for graduate entry dentistry. And graduate entry dentistry is even more competitive than undergraduate dentistry.
Reply 12
Honestly pharmacy really is saturated at the moment. People are struggling to get pre-reg jobs and its even worse after that. Also pharmacy has more chemistry in it than medicine as far as I'm aware so not a great choice if you hate chemistry. The choice isn't pharmacy/med/dentistry/optometry, there are plenty of other degrees out there.
Original post by kvs_123
Honestly pharmacy really is saturated at the moment. People are struggling to get pre-reg jobs and its even worse after that. Also pharmacy has more chemistry in it than medicine as far as I'm aware so not a great choice if you hate chemistry. The choice isn't pharmacy/med/dentistry/optometry, there are plenty of other degrees out there.

So what other courses are there? Where you can earn a decent living? And when I mean by decent I mean by above national average. Courses like biomed is just rubbish and a waste of time. So I'm not interested in doing biomed, biochem, biology, chemistry, degrees like that. I'm looking for a course where there's a set career path and the end of the day. Optometry- optometrist, pharmacy pharmacist. Dentistry dentist. Courses like biomed is worse than pharmacy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't think that just because you have a pharmacy degree that you a) have to stay in the UK to work, and b) have to go into pharmacy.

I'd be certain that there are plenty of master degrees that accept pharmacy degrees as the undergraduate degree along with with likes of bio, chemistry nat sci etc.
So what other courses are there? Where you can earn a decent living? And when I mean by decent I mean by above national average. Courses like biomed is just rubbish and a waste of time. So I'm not interested in doing biomed, biochem, biology, chemistry, degrees like that. I'm looking for a course where there's a set career path and the end of the day. Optometry- optometrist, pharmacy pharmacist. Dentistry dentist. Courses like biomed is worse than pharmacy

Well the majority of degrees haven't got 'set career paths', you make your own career path during your time at university.

However if you 100% don't want to study a degree which give you too many options, then the only other one I can think of which you might be interested in is Chemical Engineering. Though you haven't got maths, you will almost certainly get offers from great engineering schools such at Southampton for their engineering foundation year (provided the rest of your application is strong).

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/engineering/undergraduate/courses/foundation_year/engineering_physics_geophysics_foundation_year.page?

Ok, my bad, Soton don't actually do Chem. Eng., but plenty of other universities do offer the degree as well as the year 0. There is the link to Soton anyway.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Well the majority of degrees haven't got 'set career paths', you make your own career path during your time at university.

However if you 100% don't want to study a degree which give you too many options, then the only other one I can think of which you might be interested in is Chemical Engineering. Though you haven't got maths, you will almost certainly get offers from great engineering schools such at Southampton for their engineering foundation year (provided the rest of your application is strong).

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/engineering/undergraduate/courses/foundation_year/engineering_physics_geophysics_foundation_year.page?

Ok, my bad, Soton don't actually do Chem. Eng., but plenty of other universities do offer the degree as well as the year 0. There is the link to Soton anyway.

Yeah that's the problem I'm not interested in engineering sector. Never really was a maths/physics person, that's why I just did bio, chem and psychology a-level :/ I'm totally messed. There are no other courses out there that I could do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah that's the problem I'm not interested in engineering sector. Never really was a maths/physics person, that's why I just did bio, chem and psychology a-level :/ I'm totally messed. There are no other courses out there that I could do

If you were able to get an A in chemistry you'd likely have done well in Maths and physics also, perhaps you just didn't have the motivation while at school or didn't like the teachers of something. Anyway I guess it doesn't matter if you don't want to get into engineering.

I'd recommend you don't go to university for the sake of getting a degree, it will likely be a huge mistake, put if off until you are a little more sure. How come you didn't get into dentistry? I've heard Dundee accept AAB?

What about accounting/finance?

Or maybe you aren't suited for uni at all? Maybe you'd be better off just applying for training schemes now, you have the A-levels for them so it is worth a shot.
What to do guys??

How does saturation make opening more pharmacies a bad thing?
yeah I did apply to Portsmouth to study dental hygiene/therapy I got rejected and they offered me pharmacy instead :confused: Plus theres no guarantee that you'll get a place for graduate entry dentistry. And graduate entry dentistry is even more competitive than undergraduate dentistry.

Not sure if this is too late, there is a 1 year dental nursing fast trackcourse at teeside/Middlesbrough (can't remember which). I have a friend who did this course after unsuccessfully getting a dentistry offer first time round. Second time round with their new qualification and dental nursing experience, they were successful in securing three offers in dentistry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending