The Student Room Group

Distance Learning: GIS MSc course - anyone with experience?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into the possibility of doing a distance learning MSc in GIS and wondered if any of you had any experience of them?

The main courses that are out there seem to be from Leeds/Southampton (joint), Kingston and Salford. I am somewhat leaning towards the Leeds/Southampton one as I currently live in Southampton so that has potential to be helpful, particularly as the pathway I'm interested in is lectured by Southampton. Saying that, I'm open to other universities - no bias really.

If anyone had any insights or comments on any of the distance learning GIS MSc courses that would be really interesting. Advantages/disadvantages, modules you enjoyed on your course, tips for distance learning, running the course alongside your job... you get the gist!

Thanks,
Heather
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by hothedgehog
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into the possibility of doing a distance learning MSc in GIS and wondered if any of you had any experience of them?

The main courses that are out there seem to be from Leeds/Southampton (joint), Kingston and Salford. I am somewhat leaning towards the Leeds/Southampton one as I currently live in Southampton so that has potential to be helpful, particularly as the pathway I'm interested in is lectured by Southampton. Saying that, I'm open to other universities - no bias really.

If anyone had any insights or comments on any of the distance learning GIS MSc courses that would be really interesting. Advantages/disadvantages, modules you enjoyed on your course, tips for distance learning, running the course alongside your job... you get the gist!

Thanks,
Heather

Hi Heather,

I am in the same position and I am considering the MSc via Leeds/ Southampton.
I know your post is 2 years old and may well be far too late (!) but if you did sign up for a course I'd like to know what areas/ modules you found most interesting/ challenging.

I've recently graduated with first-class honours BSc from the Open University so I'm used to distance learning after 10 years of studying on and off with them. The key to successful study via distance-learning alongside work, family commitments etc. is disciplined time management and motivation.
Draw up a timetable of how you spend your day and be realistic about when and where you can study. I used to get up an hour earlier to study, or read on my commute to work, then dedicate several evenings and a weekend to get an assignment done. Sometimes I would write questions that needed chewing over in my phone, then analyse one during quiet moments of the day, and come home with lots of new ideas on it.
Of course, there will be harder parts of any course and it is then that you need to have the vision of completing in your mind and the determination to dig deep to do what needs to be done. Tough days can feel like a 'you vs. you' struggle so I always planned a treat after submissions, whether it was a beer in the fridge, baking a cake or having a meal out. I have had terrible days of studying and felt tempted to quit many times! Keep pushing through and you'll be surprised at what you can achieve,

Best wishes,
pink*fairy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending