The Student Room Group

Could I still get into Dentistry?

Hi everyone,

Im really wanting to study dentistry at University. I am however a but pessimistic about if I will get in.

My grades etc

AS: AAB in the sciences,
A2 Predictions: AAA
GCSE's: 1A* 5A 2B 1C (B in English Lit, A/A* in Sciences, Maths etc)
UKCAT: 610
W/Exp: 3 weeks GDP, 2 days orthodontics (hospital), currently going to a dental lab
Voluntary: went to a hospital and volunteered on a ward for around 2 months.

Applying to: Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, don't know where else (maybe sheffield)

**I have however been ill and missed a lot of school over the last 5 years. My school have said they will write a letter explaining my circumstances.

Just wanting your opinions, on if I have a chance of getting accepted.

Thanks.
Hi, I'm also interested in applying to study dentistry in 2015 :smile:

I wouldn't lose heart- you have the minimum GCSE grades, and the necessary predictions however I would be wary of applying exclusively to all UKCAT unis in regards to your UKCAT score (for example last year's cut off for Newcastle was 670). You have a great amount of work experience too!

Have you been to many open days? As I'm from the North I want to try and stay up here!

Hope this helped! :tongue:
(oops just read where you're applying and realised they're not UKCAT except Sheffield! Ps did you know Leeds require the BMAT now? That's my number 1!)
Reply 3
Original post by Keepdreaming24
Hi, I'm also interested in applying to study dentistry in 2015 :smile:

I wouldn't lose heart- you have the minimum GCSE grades, and the necessary predictions however I would be wary of applying exclusively to all UKCAT unis in regards to your UKCAT score (for example last year's cut off for Newcastle was 670). You have a great amount of work experience too!

Have you been to many open days? As I'm from the North I want to try and stay up here!

Hope this helped! :tongue:

I have been to Manchester and really liked it. What about you?

And I believe Liverpool don't look at the UKCAT, neither do Leeds but they do look at your BMAT :smile:
I've been to Newcastle, Leeds and Sheffield. I currently have a family member studying dentistry at Newcastle so won't be applying there as I'd quite like to feel more independent! I LOVED Leeds- that's definitely my number one- so friendly and the atmosphere was great. I wasn't too keen on Sheffield, I'm not sure why, just wasn't feeling any vibes!

I'm also going to the Liverpool and Manchester Open days in September so we'll see how they go. I don't like the idea of the BMAT but at least it doesn't really count this year (depending on the strength of your personal statement)

Quick Reply

Latest