The Student Room Group

I want to go to college but my mum wants me to go to sixth form.

I want to go to a college to study music that my school's sixth form doesn't provide, but my mum won't allow me to go there because of distance. Do I have a right to decide where I go, or is it down to my parents?:s-smilie:
Reply 1
You definitely have the right to decide! I myself went to a Grammar sixth form and didn't like it there due to the general atmosphere, and I decided to go back to the same sixth form of the school I used to go for y7-y11- my parents weren't too pleased at the time but now they're fine with it! And yeah, best decision I ever made- really enjoying it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by LaurRand
I want to go to a college to study music that my school's sixth form doesn't provide, but my mum won't allow me to go there because of distance. Do I have a right to decide where I go, or is it down to my parents?:s-smilie:

It's down to you, explain to them how much you want to study music and how passionate you are, tell them you cant see yourself doing anything other than music..they shouldn't disagree:smile:

The decision is 100% yours. However, your parents are under no obligation to provide you with travel arrangements. (It would be pretty spiteful to not do so, though).
Original post by Official'Maryan
You definitely have the right to decide! I myself went to a Grammar sixth form and didn't like it there due to the general atmosphere, and I decided to go back to the same sixth form of the school I used to go for y7-y11- my parents weren't too pleased at the time but now they're fine with it! And yeah, best decision I ever made- really enjoying it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by arfah
It's down to you, explain to them how much you want to study music and how passionate you are, tell them you cant see yourself doing anything other than music..they shouldn't disagree:smile:

Original post by PythianLegume
The decision is 100% yours. However, your parents are under no obligation to provide you with travel arrangements. (It would be pretty spiteful to not do so, though).

It is not the student's decision. College and sixth form applications all have spaces for parents' signatures, authorising the student's application. Even though the school leaving age is 16, being under 18 makes you a minor and if the college accepted the OP without parental permission, it would probably throw up a legal issue involving kidnap of a minor (probably not actually that, but something similar).
Original post by Pectorac
It is not the student's decision. College and sixth form applications all have spaces for parents' signatures, authorising the student's application. Even though the school leaving age is 16, being under 18 makes you a minor and if the college accepted the OP without parental permission, it would probably throw up a legal issue involving kidnap (probably not actually that, but something similar).

It requires the student's signature as well, though, so the OP just has to be more stubborn. :tongue:

I'd also wonder whether the parent's signature is just a formality from the college.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Official'Maryan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Thank you for the encouragement! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Forge the signature if need be. Parents evenings are not compulsory and also there is no reason for the college to contact them.
I forged my mums signature for my planner everyday from yr7-11 and she knew that. She just couldn't be arsed to do it each day so she told me to do it lol.

DO NOT choose to go to sixth form if you don't want to go there! It is 2 years of education, and also the toughest ones.

You're going to hate every second of your courses if you're not at the place you want to be at and doing the A-Levels/courses that you want to do. Don't go to sixth form just because your parents say, because it will just lead to you being miserable and doing much worse than if you were at a college where you actually want to be.

If distance is the only issue, I suggest just telling your parents that you can cope with the long journey and that it won't be an issue. Try to convince them as much as you can that it won't be a problem. How long does it take to get there anyway? Don't worry, they will eventually give in. :smile:

My parents wanted me to go to this other private sixth form but I knew I'd hate it and wanted to go to a normal, more casual sixth. They eventually gave in, and they're fine and happy with me applying there now. It just takes convincing and getting on the same page, in my case saying how I think I'd get better results at a place with no uniform and a less strict, more relaxed atmosphere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending