The Student Room Group

Why do you want to teach?

Would be really grateful to gather as many views as possible and accumulate a comprehensive list here. I'll add mine at a later date if that's ok :redface:
Sometimes it's because someone has inspired you to become a teacher because they are so damn interesting... Thank you Walter White for showing me how exciting teaching can be :wink:
Reply 2
Children's optimism and enthusiasm inspires me and I would love to inspire them to make something better of their life, to become a better person:smile:
Reply 3
Probably the worst reason ever but nonetheless, because I can't see myself doing any other job, and not in a good way do I say that.. and because I've been in education for so long I like being in an educational environment.

I want to teach A level/University students because they're more mature and actually want to be there as opposed to immature high school kids.
Reply 4
Thank you both :smile:
Reply 5
Having inspiring teachers yourself makes you want to emulate them.
I enjoy being able to use my subject.
I'm good at explaining things to others.
My personal attributes lend themselves quite well to teaching (I enjoy reading and writing, I'm organised, I like a routine, I can be patient with and work well with others...).

These, I'd say, were the main things that influenced me when I was 13 or so and wanted to become a teacher.
Just because I know what it is what I want to do, it is what I enjoy.

I love the classroom environment (having just finished school myself). I've had experience teaching, with my A level revision youtube channel and I helped one of the science teachers teach the year 7 science class (he didn't need help :P but I was science prefect this year and I thought it would be great experience and it was). I have also helped people in my class with content from our subjects and from all these experiences I have always been told I am really good at it and explain things well and make them interesting. I want to go into A level Biology or Chemistry teaching. I know it just suits me and it looks like I should be good at it (I hope). I know it will be a job I am happy in.
Reply 7
Great answers thank you guys :h:
1) inspired by 2 other teachers
2) want children to do well and learn and have the same opportunities I did
3) I'm enthusiastic about the subject

Plenty of other reasons too :smile:
Are you using these answers for your personal statement or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
About 50% of teachers are such b*****ds who have no understanding of children.
There are some great ones. Don't want to teach; but will probably end up teaching at a university or something :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by jeffercake
Are you using these answers for your personal statement or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No! Wow, you're a bit of a cynic aren't you?

Spoiler

Reply 12
I've worked with children for years and as a mentor. I'm career changing to teaching as its something that has always been in the back of my head and I like working with kids BUT the main motivation is I will get decent pay and paid holidays - something I get neither of at the moment. I've had a week off this year and I'm knackered.
I want to teach in a Pupil Referral Unit or Youth Offending Institute specifically. My reason is because these young people are already on the margin of society and need the most support and guidance to avoid being a teen parent/drug user/mental health etc statistic. They are classed as "troubled" but are actually misguided and confused. I attended a PRU and one of the teachers had such a great impact on my education and outlook I want to do the same.
I've never really wanted to do anything else :redface: I was the typical primary school kid who said they wanted to be a teacher, only I never changed my mind or came up with another idea.

A lot of people are inspired by teachers they've had which isn't really the case for me, there's no teacher that particularly stands out when I look back, which I think is a shame. I want children to have positive experiences that will inspire them and that they'll actually remember.

And I've just always enjoyed being in a classroom environment. I can't think of anything more rewarding really :biggrin:
Having worked in early years (nurseries, children's centres and schools) for 17 years I was only recently in a position to do a degree. I loved it and got a 1st! I have wanted to teach since I was a child and finally I can see it in my reach. The past 3 years I have struggled to work out if I want to enter a profession where all the good teachers are leaving and politics plays too large a part. But I feel like I can make a difference to children despite the terrible state of the profession (in some schools) and I will be applying to start SD in Sep 2015.
Reply 16
Original post by Pineapple pie
Having worked in early years (nurseries, children's centres and schools) for 17 years I was only recently in a position to do a degree. I loved it and got a 1st! I have wanted to teach since I was a child and finally I can see it in my reach. The past 3 years I have struggled to work out if I want to enter a profession where all the good teachers are leaving and politics plays too large a part. But I feel like I can make a difference to children despite the terrible state of the profession (in some schools) and I will be applying to start SD in Sep 2015.

Many congrats on the 1st and good luck in your aspirations. As you say (and I'm no insider, I'm the OP here) politics does seem to play a huge part and even moreso as time goes on. However there must always be people with hope and I'd like to hope that those who are organised and resilient can make some changes to young people's lives, even if small.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending