The Student Room Group

Is there any real reason to be a vegetarian?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by DiddyDec
You are clutching at straws now. What is the point on spending money on animals, which are a food produce and then not use them for food? If we were not producing the animals for food then they would be a waste of space which we could be using for arable land.

Same could be said of the disabled. I'm not clutching at straws.

Your point of view centres on the belief that the the needs of animals are entirely unimportant compared to those of humans.
Original post by nohomo
Same could be said of the disabled. I'm not clutching at straws.

Your point of view centres on the belief that the the needs of animals are entirely unimportant compared to those of humans.

Farmers pour millions of pounds into the welfare of their animals. And the welfare of animals is already regulated of the Government. Farmers care about their animals ensuring they get the best quality of life. My view centered around the point that farmers already do a lot for animals and their welfare and the government is not needed to step in because there is no doubt in my mind that they will **** it up. As they have done with the NHS.

I care greatly about farm animals and how they are treated. The UK has the highest standard of welfare for our animals than anywhere else in the world. Our farmers really do care and I have a lot of respect for them. However you can't compare disable children to farm animals.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Troytheboy
Here is a video if you are interested. I warn you it is graphic though [video]http://www.meatvideo.com/[/video]

You do realise that this is an american video, talking about american methods. The UK has the highest animal welfare standards in the world. Nothing like what you see in America. Almost all their practices used are illegal in Britain.
Reply 43
Original post by MattyR2895
The o.

I find a lot of meat eaters say "I would be vegetarian except I can't live without meat"

I was brought up as a vegetarian so I can live without meat, however I'm not vegan and I think making the transition would be really difficult as I enjoy some dairy products... and eat more that I don't particularly enjoy as a way to increase protein in my diet.

So if a vegetarian has chickens and a cow or goat, would eating animal products which they produced be acceptable as they know that the animal is treated well??
A 'real' reason to be vegetarian is that we just don't need meat to survive anymore...it came about as an evolutionary advantage and it's no longer relevant for us privileged people with our Quorn and our tofu/other proteins. And wow you can eat fish and not land animals if you want?? when i became pescatarian i was 13, i had to eat fish or that was it, my mum wouldn't cook for me or buy me other things. I might contribute to the dairy industry which sucks, but again i'm living at home under my parents rule. The eggs I eat are fresh from my own chickens. So OP in your own words 'gtfo'
You do realise that this is an american video, talking about american methods. The UK has the highest animal welfare standards in the world. Nothing like what you see in America. Almost all their practices used are illegal in Britain.

Britain may have better animal welfare standards, but the standards are pretty vague https://www.gov.uk/farm-animal-welfare-at-slaughter. This results in the animal being able to be electrified or it's head slammed against the floor because it is a quick method of killing the animal whilst complying with the vague regulations.

The animal welfare standards are nothing to be proud off, they are not protecting the animals to the best degree they could.

By the way can you source where you have this statement they have the highest welfare standards in the world?
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
Also, pretty much just as many animals are killed to feed vegetarians as are killed to feed meat eaters, in fact the former are killed in far more inhumane ways...

All those poor voles, birds, and mice etc... which are churned up and left either dead or ripped apart in agony as the machines till and cultivate the land.

There's no way of avoiding the deaths caused by farming vegetables, and in fact eating meat incurs more of those sort of deaths than vegetarianism. It takes more farmland to produce food to feed the animal that you then eat, than it does if you eat the vegetables directly.
You could be ethically vegetarian and still eat free ranged eggs and milk where it isn't inhumanely farmed and the animals live a happy life.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
There's no way of avoiding the deaths caused by farming vegetables, and in fact eating meat incurs more of those sort of deaths than vegetarianism. It takes more farmland to produce food to feed the animal that you then eat, than it does if you eat the vegetables directly.

More land? i'm not so sure... growing plants en masse requires a lot of land too!

More of those sort of deaths from eating meat? umm how? you don't require big land crushing/blade spinning machines for say cattle..
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
More land? i'm not so sure... growing plants en masse requires a lot of land too!

More of those sort of deaths from eating meat? umm how? you don't require big land crushing/blade spinning machines for say cattle..

You haven't quite understood my point. The cattle need feeding too, during their development. This requires the cultivation of vegetables, usually corn, and that requires the use of "big land crushing/blade spinning machines". Because of this, producing meat requires the use of more land than producing an equivalent amount of vegetables.
I totally agree with everything you've said, as the vegetarians who eat fish that bit just cracked me up, I'm vegetarian but due to health reasons havin problem relating to GI/diet. But if I could eat ribs and burgers id live off them.

The worst ones are the vegans that use products which contains animal products (lanolin) or make up and beauty products that have been tested on animals.
Britain may have better animal welfare standards, but the standards are pretty vague https://www.gov.uk/farm-animal-welfare-at-slaughter. This results in the animal being able to be electrified or it's head slammed against the floor because it is a quick method of killing the animal whilst complying with the vague regulations.

The animal welfare standards are nothing to be proud off, they are not protecting the animals to the best degree they could.

There will always be improvements that can be made. I can't say the system is perfect. But the regulations are not vague.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/contents

http://www.fawc.org.uk/freedoms.htm

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/2078/contents/made

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1995/731/contents/made

Are these "vague" regulations to you?

Just because you read a simple overview does not mean there is no legal documentation in regards to this area of practice.
There will always be improvements that can be made. I can't say the system is perfect. But the regulations are not vague.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/45/contents

http://www.fawc.org.uk/freedoms.htm

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/2078/contents/made

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1995/731/contents/made

Are these "vague" regulations to you?

Just because you read a simple overview does not mean there is no legal documentation in regards to this area of practice.

Yes they are, just because you list a variety of sites do not mean the information is ample. They all have the same regulations. The regulations fundamentally are not to torture to the animal. But, any killing method may be used ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes they are, just because you list a variety of sites do not mean the information is ample. They all have the same regulations. The regulations fundamentally are not to torture to the animal. But, any killing method may be used ?

Did you not read it?

These are the regulations as set out by the government which clearly of concisely explain all aspects of animal welfare and the slaughtering process.

The methods of killing are clearly set out as follows;

Free Bullet

Electrocution

For Birds only, decapitation or dislocation of the neck.

Exposure of pigs and birds to gas mixtures as set out in accordance with schedule 7.
Did you not read it?

These are the regulations as set out by the government which clearly of concisely explain all aspects of animal welfare and the slaughtering process.

The methods of killing are clearly set out as follows;

Free Bullet

Electrocution

For Birds only, decapitation or dislocation of the neck.

Exposure of pigs and birds to gas mixtures as set out in accordance with schedule 7.

That is similar to America, and still painful to the animal; and taking the animals life. I really do not understand what point you are trying to make.
Reply 56
Original post by Francesca16
A 'real' reason to be vegetarian is that we just don't need meat to survive anymore...it came about as an evolutionary advantage and it's no longer relevant for us privileged people with our Quorn and our tofu/other proteins. And wow you can eat fish and not land animals if you want?? when i became pescatarian i was 13, i had to eat fish or that was it, my mum wouldn't cook for me or buy me other things. I might contribute to the dairy industry which sucks, but again i'm living at home under my parents rule. The eggs I eat are fresh from my own chickens. So OP in your own words 'gtfo'

There are many advantages to eating meat (amino acids, vitamins, and quality of protein) that you do not get with quorn, it is also more expensive gram for gram, and it contains eggs.
Also, I said I dislike when people call them selves vegetarians but still eat fish, because it goes against the whole point of being vegetarian. You call yourself pescatarian or whatever so I don't have a problem with that.
That is similar to America, and still painful to the animal; and taking the animals life. I really do not understand what point you are trying to make.

Shall we go on to the section about stunning then? The part before the animal is killed using these methods.

You said the regulations were vague. However I have shown you the documentation which clearly and concisely proves your allegation to be incorrect.

But the fact of the matter is that the meat industry would be impossible to ban. Which so many vegans and even vegetarians ask for. I have a lot of respect for those who choose not to eat meat and that is their choice. However I don't particularly like it when they try and preach to me how it is wrong and all meat is bad. There is nothing anyone can say to me to stop me from eating meat. Not even banning the meat industry would stop me.
Original post by Roxiepluto
For me personally, I am a vegetarian for moral reasons but I see being vegetarian as a half way house to being vegan (which I intend to be - do you know how much stuff has eggs/milk in it!!!!!)
At the moment I don't eat meat and I don't eat eggs or drink milk outright (rice milk for the win!) but it is difficult to avoid it in products so I can't class myself as vegan yet
Tldr; being vegetarian is a step towards being vegan for me personally

plants have feelings too:angry:
Original post by MattyR2895
There are many advantages to eating meat (amino acids, vitamins, and quality of protein) that you do not get with quorn, it is also more expensive gram for gram, and it contains eggs.
Also, I said I dislike when people call them selves vegetarians but still eat fish, because it goes against the whole point of being vegetarian. You call yourself pescatarian or whatever so I don't have a problem with that.

I totally understand that and in places where people don't have a good range of food to eat then eating meat is for sure beneficial. But i'm alive and healthy and lucky enough to be able to afford all of these meat supplements so why not, yknow?

I''ll be honest sometimes I have to say vegetarian because surprisingly a lot of people don't know/understand what pescatarian is- they think i eat meat but not fish, or that it's a new type of veganism or something. So i have to admit to using the 'i'm a vegetarian but i eat fish' line once in a while :redface:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending