The Student Room Group

Uni choices for geology- help!

I'm new to this so I'm not really sure how it works;
I am going to university in 2015 September and want to study Geology/petroleum/engineering geology! I want my course to involve elements of animals but obviously palaeontology (module) involves dead animals. I am from England so does any of you have any ideas or are currently doing a degree involving this? I'd be so grateful for a reply as am very stuck!!
Thanks 😃 x
:smile:
Reply 1
I've applied for deferred entry in 2015. My firm is St Andrews for Geology and my insurance is Aberdeen!

I got offers from Edinburgh and Exeter as well! You should have a look at those 4 and the course content!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
If you do Geology at Bristol University there are units in palaeontology throughtout the course
Reply 3
Original post by Kiwi789
If you do Geology at Bristol University there are units in palaeontology throughtout the course

I know but palaeontology is the science of dinosaur fossils - I was looking more into the live animal sector 😄
Reply 4
But I didn't do biology at a level :frown: one subject which I wish I did do now!!
Reply 5
Original post by Klmalone
I know but palaeontology is the science of dinosaur fossils - I was looking more into the live animal sector

well you could do Bristol Univerisity's three year joint honours course in 'Geology and Biology', which means you get to do units in both subjects
Original post by Kiwi789
well you could do Bristol Univerisity's three year joint honours course in 'Geology and Biology', which means you get to do units in both subjects

But you need A Level Biology for that, which the OP doesn't have.
Reply 7
But I didn't do biology at a level :frown: one subject which I wish I did do now!!

I think St Andrews might accept students for their Geology & Biology students as long as you've got any two from biology, chemistry, physics or maths. But I don't really know much about their course. I'm going to Bristol University this year so I don't really know about other courses all that well.

Derby University offers biology and geology as a joint degree (it's not clear whether you need biology or not, but I think they might be more lenient), Keele might be more lenient too. They're not Russell group unis, but if you wanted to take something biology related you could always take a year out and take a Biology A level during that time (though that might be a bit extravagant).

Though I don't know anything about it, some universities do courses in 'Natural Sciences' which I think involve both geology and biology.
(edited 9 years ago)
I know but palaeontology is the science of dinosaur fossils - I was looking more into the live animal sector

St Andrews would probably let you do biology as one of your subjects. A girl I know did Maths A level but not physics but they let her do physics as a module. You could apply for geology and add biology laer.
I applied to Cardiff University and also the universities of Exeter, Southampton and Plymouth for BSc Geology. All of their geology degrees feature modules containing some study of palaeontology/paleoecology/palaeobiology. I also applied to the University of Glasgow for their BSc Earth science degree but it is a 4 year course. You have a choice of other science subjects to study along side Earth science at Glasgow during the first 2 years, so you could include biology subjects if that appeals to you.

They usually search for Any Science course- which is Physics, Chemistry, Biology (in many cases Mathematics, Geography, Enviromental Studies count as a Science subject too).
There are some Universities that have Paleontology as a lone topic (or a major one)- they include Bristol and Leicester (there were others but I cannot remember them).
I know that at UCL you can pick a paleobiological pathway which includes study of quantitative biology and genetics.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending