The Student Room Group

What is your favourite Comic/Graphic Novel?

Mine has to be either the adaptation of Paul Auster's City of Glass, because the way the images, words and story work together is absolutely amazing.

OR

Ghost World, by Daniel Clowes
Reply 1
Not very experienced in this particular genre but I did enjoy The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman.
Reply 2
Maus, by Art Spiegelman.
Original post by Sir Fox
Maus, by Art Spiegelman.

Seconded.

I'm quite into Twisted Dark at the moment. Superb horror/noir themes with unsuspecting twists.
Original post by Sir Fox
Maus, by Art Spiegelman.

Original post by Fanticipation
Seconded.

I'm quite into Twisted Dark at the moment. Superb horror/noir themes with unsuspecting twists.

I still haven't read Maus. Need to get on that.
I know it's a bit generic, but I loved Identity Crisis. A tragic spin on the past of DC's superheroes and a little bit heartbreaking by the end.

I also loved Secret Identity, Watchmen, The Boys and I love the ongoing Invincible series.
Reply 6
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Mine has to be either the adaptation of Paul Auster's City of Glass, because the way the images, words and story work together is absolutely amazing.

OR

Ghost World, by Daniel Clowes

My favourite ongoing series has to be Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. The art is just wonderful and Vaughn just really knows how to tell a story with very unique and compelling characters. I would HIGHLY recommend that anyone who sees this post picks up the first Volume of it and give it a try, you'll almost instantly fall in love.

Trees by Warren Ellis looks as if it will be a unique take on the "alien invasion" narrative.

But I do have to go with a good ol' classic with Watchmen as my favourite "completed" comic. Really revolutionised the way we look at 'Superheroes' and I don't think any future superhero comic books will even touch it, or any of Alan Moore's superhero ventures.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ErHi?
My favourite ongoing series has to be Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples. The art is just wonderful and Vaughn just really knows how to tell a story with very unique and compelling characters. I would HIGHLY recommend that anyone who sees this post picks up the first Volume of it and give it a try, you'll almost instantly fall in love.

Trees by Warren Ellis looks as if it will be a unique take on the "alien invasion" narrative.

But I do have to go with a good ol' classic with Watchmen as my favourite "completed" comic. Really revolutionised the way we look at 'Superheroes' and I don't think any future superhero comic books will even touch it, or any of Alan Moore's superhero ventures.

I've got the first chapter of Saga, I should probably actually try to get into it. :smile: I wasn't convinced after the first chapter but I've heard only good things about it from everyone. :smile:
Reply 8
I've got the first chapter of Saga, I should probably actually try to get into it. :smile: I wasn't convinced after the first chapter but I've heard only good things about it from everyone. :smile:

Yea! It gets so much better :biggrin: Image are on top of their game right now, publishing some absolutely great new series, would really recommend just hitting the local comic store and browsing!
I don't know if this counts:

Spoiler

Reply 10
Original post by toxiictests

Spoiler

*gasp* :O
Original post by ErHi?
*gasp* :O

Is it that bad? I loved it :biggrin: BTW it longer than all 3 Lord of the rings combined :biggrin:
Reply 12
Is it that bad? I loved it :biggrin: BTW it longer than all 3 Lord of the rings combined :biggrin:

haha no, I was joking : D Never actually heard of it before but I do also like my Manga, is it similar?
Original post by ErHi?
haha no, I was joking : D Never actually heard of it before but I do also like my Manga, is it similar?

it's a book with pictures and sounds and text :biggrin:
Reply 14
it's a book with pictures and sounds and text :biggrin:

woah that sounds interesting... actually might give it a try!
Original post by ErHi?
woah that sounds interesting... actually might give it a try!

Yeah, it's called a Visual Novel :biggrin:

Spoiler

Totally counts! :smile: Although I've never heard of it so it might not actually count. :tongue: What is it?

Original post by ErHi?
Yea! It gets so much better :biggrin: Image are on top of their game right now, publishing some absolutely great new series, would really recommend just hitting the local comic store and browsing!

I might just do that :smile:
Totally counts! :smile: Although I've never heard of it so it might not actually count. :tongue: What is it?

I might just do that :smile:

From Wiki:
A visual novel (ビジュアルノベル bijuaru noberu?) is an interactive fiction game,[1][2] featuring mostly static graphics, most often using anime-style art or occasionally live-action stills (and sometimes video footage).[3] As the name might suggest, they resemble mixed-media novels.
In Japanese terminology, a distinction is often made between visual novels proper (abbreviated NVL), which consist predominantly of narration and have very few interactive elements, and adventure games (abbreviated AVG or ADV), which may incorporate problem-solving and other types of gameplay. This distinction is normally lost outside Japan, where both NVLs and ADVs are commonly referred to as "visual novels" by international fans. Visual novels and ADVs are especially prevalent in Japan, where they made up nearly 70% of the PC game titles released in 2006.[4]
Visual novels are rarely produced for video game consoles, but the more popular games have occasionally been ported to systems such as the Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, PlayStation Portable, or Xbox 360. The more famous visual novels are also often adapted into the light novel, manga or anime formats. The market for visual novels outside of East Asia is small, though a number of anime based on visual novels are popular among anime fans in the Western world.
Reply 18
Recently got into Slaine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending