The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Rice Cookers

What's wrong with having a Rice Cooker bought outside the EU? It's said they aren't allowed in the Accommodation guidelines...

Do they check each rice cooker students bring to make sure they were bought in the EU?
It's probably something to do with fire safety. AFAIK all appliances in the EU are held to the same standards so it's easier to look at an EU rice cooker, see the symbol and say it's safe whereas the university is probably unfamiliar with the regulations outside of the EU.

I can't answer the last question unfortunately, but if you put your cooker away when you're not using it and don't leave it unattended, there shouldn't be a problem.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Cool :smile:
Thanks for the Clarification :smile:

I guess I'll just buy one from the UK just to be safe :smile:
Or you could cook your rice in the microwave - I know it's not ideal but it means you don't take up valuable cupboard space with a one-jobber.
Reply 4
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Or you could cook your rice in the microwave - I know it's not ideal but it means you don't take up valuable cupboard space with a one-jobber.

You're right, it would be more logical to use a microwave. I'll have to try that out at home as I've never done it before, and I'm new to cooking :P
By the way, what sort of cupboard space does each student get? How is it shared between students sharing a kitchen? And the fridge as well, do we all put our things in it and hope nobody else eats it? :P
Original post by UVLight
You're right, it would be more logical to use a microwave. I'll have to try that out at home as I've never done it before, and I'm new to cooking :P
By the way, what sort of cupboard space does each student get? How is it shared between students sharing a kitchen? And the fridge as well, do we all put our things in it and hope nobody else eats it? :P

You'll get a cupboard, a fridge shelf, and a freezer drawer - ish

How I do it in the microwave: enough water over the rice to reach the first joint on your finger (google and you'll find diagrams), ten minutes on full, then leave it covered for three minutes. Works best in a tall plastic measuring jug or similar
Reply 6
Original post by RibenaRockstar
You'll get a cupboard, a fridge shelf, and a freezer drawer - ish

How I do it in the microwave: enough water over the rice to reach the first joint on your finger (google and you'll find diagrams), ten minutes on full, then leave it covered for three minutes. Works best in a tall plastic measuring jug or similar

Ah the first joint method is what I use in the rice cookers as well... Thanks for the instructions! :smile: I'll give it a go :biggrin:

And about the fridge, freezer and cupboard, are we allocated those spaces or do we just talk with each other and decide which space is for whom?
Original post by UVLight
Ah the first joint method is what I use in the rice cookers as well... Thanks for the instructions! :smile: I'll give it a go :biggrin:

And about the fridge, freezer and cupboard, are we allocated those spaces or do we just talk with each other and decide which space is for whom?

We decided amongst ourselves. In my flat the girls (3) shared one fridge freezer and the guys (4) shared the other, but frequently used ours if they needed to. I think cupboard space was first come first served, seeing as we wanted to move our stuff in when we got there and not have to wait for a meeting. We each got 2 cupboards each, using the overhead one for food and the other one for cooking equipment. We also shared the drawers.
Reply 8
Thanks a lot, you're information is really helpful! :biggrin:
When did you buy the kitchen equipment? Did you bring it from home or did you buy them after you moved into the accommodation?
And did you find the cupboard/fridge space you got sufficient? :smile:
Reply 9
Is not it easier to buy multicooker? It's can _ cook not only rice, but everything - yogurt, soups, vegetables, roast meat, even bake bread. It fry, extinguish, cooking for a couple, even my popcorn doing. When I decided to lose weight bought his first multicooker Panasonic - food is prepared without my involvement and even vegetables are obtained delicious - a major plus, and on the advice of a neighbor recently purchased a new Redmond 4502 - it has more than 30 programs , you can make your own recipes, it is convenient to change the temperature in the cooking process - first fry the meat on high, then simmer them with rice or vegetables baked at a low temperature. True design I do not like. But it takes up little space and I use it even in the country
Original post by wentila
Is not it easier to buy multicooker? It's can _ cook not only rice, but everything - yogurt, soups, vegetables, roast meat, even bake bread. It fry, extinguish, cooking for a couple, even my popcorn doing. When I decided to lose weight bought his first multicooker Panasonic - food is prepared without my involvement and even vegetables are obtained delicious - a major plus, and on the advice of a neighbor recently purchased a new Redmond 4502 - it has more than 30 programs , you can make your own recipes, it is convenient to change the temperature in the cooking process - first fry the meat on high, then simmer them with rice or vegetables baked at a low temperature. True design I do not like. But it takes up little space and I use it even in the country

...Or just use the oven and hob?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending