The Student Room Group

what would u think of me (rich international student)

Hello, I am an international student and am holding an offer from kings.
Before moving to UK this Sep, I wanted to know what pschy do UK students have for us and found it quite funny when I read the threads like what do rich international students think of us and they are spoiled etc.
Actually why I made this thread is so I can know why do u actually think we are spoiled or we are different from you when you yourself actually have a huge upper hand (fluent English) . I, before reading threads like this, thought that may be students would think down on me as I don't belong to their culture and dun know how the things go on there (though have visited UK many times as u would expect from a rich int student ;-) ) .
So to tell u about myself , yes I am one of those students who has latest macs, smartphones and my parents will buy me a flat and a BMW when I move there though in no way I think I will be bragging about it or think m better than u people and personally am a very down to earth person, this is the reason m leaving all this wealth n moving over there but still all these come with me where ever I'll move.
Thanks for reading this essay and please share Ur thoughts on why u think students with lots of moneyare not like u.

Scroll to see replies

Your parents are buying you a flat.

Lots of us are paying £9000 a year out of a loan, then, in my case £7,500 in loans and grants and probably a job just to pay rent and bills and get by.

When I leave University, I won't have a house or a flat, I'll be massively in debt, but have the skills to, in probably 3-4 year have myself comfortable in life.

When you leave University, you have a flat, you don't have bills, and you have a degree.

Why do I think students with lots of money are not like me, because you aren't. You have everything given to you on a silver plate.

We don't have a huge upper hand because we speak English, you chose to come to England, that's the norm, I wouldn't consider myself disadvantaged if I went to Holland for Uni, because I'd learn Dutch before I went as soon as I started planning to go there.

Why do people think your spoilt, because, without trying to be offensive, you are. Having your parents buy you a Mac and a flat makes you spoilt.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/spoilt

Definition two, you've never had to work for anything.

Sorry if its blunt, but you asked the question
Tbf as a student I couldn't really care less about "rich international students" nor have I ever discriminated them for any reason what so ever. I had a couple of internationals on my course, one was so so lovely and never bragged. Not once. From your post it just seems as though you're trying to force a thread to show people you have money ? That's up for debate. But as a student I will not give a flying f*** if you were rich as long as you didn't brag, you just need to find a group of friends that will befriend you for who you are, not what you have and if they dislike you because you're wealthy, then that's a bit silly. Hope this helps and I hope you find good friends:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know anyone who feels like you've said to international rich students? However, even though my parents have bought me a house and a mini and another car I don't go around bragging about be a rich student like you do. ( I'm not bragging I'm emphasising that having what you have isn't rare in the uk. Most of my friends have had cars and flats / houses bought for them). Maybe that's why you get the feeling people aren't so welcoming? I don't know, I just know people hate people bragging about what they have. It's not a nice trait.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are many people like you, don't feel special.
Original post by EmmaHalley
I don't know anyone who feels like you've said to international rich students? However, even though my parents have bought me a house and a mini and another car I don't go around bragging about be a rich student like you do. ( I'm not bragging I'm emphasising that having what you have isn't rare in the uk. Most of my friends have had cars and flats / houses bought for them). Maybe that's why you get the feeling people aren't so welcoming? I don't know, I just know people hate people bragging about what they have. It's not a nice trait.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most of your friends have had cars and/or flats bought for them?! Where the **** do you live?!

That's not exactly common in my neck of the woods anyway.
Reply 6
i am not at all offended brother by what u said bcz wat u said shows alot of pain. but wat i actually tried to point out was i would be moving to a different country leaving all the luxuries i could have enjoyed by staying here but i choose to make a future of my own and not just rely on my father's income . and for the part that i have everything , personally i think it is the fate and a blessing for me but m trying to use it for my education whereas many of my frnds r just staying over here n would enjoy alot more than me but dat doesnt really bother me as there would be many students who would not even have wat m taking wid me. if still u think we r spoiled then wat is the reason for that ??

and by flat i mean a house, just to avoid the confusion.
Original post by krazy prince
Hello, I am an international student and am holding an offer from kings.
Before moving to UK this Sep, I wanted to know what pschy do UK students have for us and found it quite funny when I read the threads like what do rich international students think of us and they are spoiled etc.
Actually why I made this thread is so I can know why do u actually think we are spoiled or we are different from you when you yourself actually have a huge upper hand (fluent English) . I, before reading threads like this, thought that may be students would think down on me as I don't belong to their culture and dun know how the things go on there (though have visited UK many times as u would expect from a rich int student ;-) ) .
So to tell u about myself , yes I am one of those students who has latest macs, smartphones and my parents will buy me a flat and a BMW when I move there though in no way I think I will be bragging about it or think m better than u people and personally am a very down to earth person, this is the reason m leaving all this wealth n moving over there but still all these come with me where ever I'll move.
Thanks for reading this essay and please share Ur thoughts on why u think students with lots of moneyare not like u.

I try not to judge people, and although I'm massively jealous that your parents are able to buy you these things, I'd hope you wouldn't brag about it and that you're prepared to work hard not buy your way into things. My only advice would be to be wary of people who may try to exploit your wealth, like people may try to exploit my practical skills. Good luck :smile:
I wouldn't dislike you for being rich and international any more than I would dislike someone who is rich and from this country. My personal opinion is that people should have what they need and no more - give the rest to charity. I know many people don't agree with this, but I would dislike you slightly simply for the reason that you have unnecessary wealth when peoples lives could be dramatically changed by your left-overs.
(edited 9 years ago)
You just come across arrogant and annoying. I'd probably just stay away from you if I knew you. You'd aggravate a lot of Brits I think because as someone already said, you're getting everything in our country free and we have to pay and work for it and end up still getting less out of it than you do.

But yeah, enjoy Kings.
Original post by minidee6.12
Tbf as a student I couldn't really care less about "rich international students" nor have I ever discriminated them for any reason what so ever. I had a couple of internationals on my course, one was so so lovely and never bragged. Not once. From your post it just seems as though you're trying to force a thread to show people you have money ? That's up for debate. But as a student I will not give a flying f*** if you were rich as long as you didn't brag, you just need to find a group of friends that will befriend you for who you are, not what you have and if they dislike you because you're wealthy, then that's a bit silly. Hope this helps and I hope you find good friends:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for wishes. aahh no m not trynna brag but i was trying to tell my situation completely so u could give ur views better and dat doesnt even make sense as u wont ever know me.
You are spoiled, but if you are genuine about "choosing to make a future of my own and not just rely on your father's income", I hope you back that up by living modestly.

There's absolutely no reason for you to have a Mac (terrible, sub-par computers) or a BMW (overpriced, gas-guzzling, show-offy car). That is repulsive, narcissistic, a very poor investment, and worst of all it's tacky. That sort of conspicuous consumption is profoundly naff in this country and marks you out as a nouveau riche with no class. Put your money where your mouth is (so to speak...) and live modestly.

But surprisingly, I do not necessarily think it's hypocritical of you to say you want to be financially independent but are getting bought a house/flat here. It is senseless to get into debt or pay rent for the sake of it.
(edited 9 years ago)
i feel like you are fishing for confirmation that you are a rich international student! either way when you come to uni you are in the same boat as the others, you are here for an education and meet new people. people dont care too much about what you have/ your upbringing. its more about being fun and having a good time :smile:
Original post by EmmaHalley

Posted from TSR Mobile

i was just talking about this feel. y do u people talk like this ? and OOOHH GOOODD i wasnt bragging, i was askin how would u treat me with this, and u cannot brag when u dunno anybody. oh my , feeling so bad as everybody is already against me.
Original post by krazy prince
i am not at all offended brother by what u said bcz wat u said shows alot of pain. but wat i actually tried to point out was i would be moving to a different country leaving all the luxuries i could have enjoyed by staying here but i choose to make a future of my own and not just rely on my father's income . and for the part that i have everything , personally i think it is the fate and a blessing for me but m trying to use it for my education whereas many of my frnds r just staying over here n would enjoy alot more than me but dat doesnt really bother me as there would be many students who would not even have wat m taking wid me. if still u think we r spoiled then wat is the reason for that ??

and by flat i mean a house, just to avoid the confusion.

Seriously **** off.

Yeah your daddy's buying you a house, that's great, and just by reading your point its clear you only made this thread to tell people your rich.

Get a life jesus, you have to go on the internet to brag about being a spoilt brat, thats laughable.
Original post by cah846
I try not to judge people, and although I'm massively jealous that your parents are able to buy you these things, I'd hope you wouldn't brag about it and that you're prepared to work hard not buy your way into things. My only advice would be to be wary of people who may try to exploit your wealth, like people may try to exploit my practical skills. Good luck :smile:

thanks buddy
and yeah i wish to work hard datz y m moving in a different country n dun wish to continue my father's company but build a new one myself.
Are you Indian/Pakistani by any chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sheepish153
I wouldn't dislike you for being rich and international any more than I would dislike someone who is rich and from this country. My personal opinion is that people should have what they need and no more - give the rest to charity. I know many people don't agree with this, but I would dislike you slightly simply for the reason that you have unnecessary wealth when peoples lives could be dramatically changed by your left-overs.

charity is a much more common thing in my country but its not like givin all the money to the poor as ur natural temptations dun allow u to do that and giving a part from it also takes great courage friend.
If you had not mentioned 'rich' in the title or your BMW or house, no one would be bothered. It's just there was no need to mention it. If you'd just said I'm an international student no one would say anything remotely nasty! You say you aren't bragging and fair enough. Just maybe don't mention what your parents have bought you when you meet people. If you don't then you'll have no problems fitting right in! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You write like a 14 year old chav. Couldn't your parents afford to send you to a decent school?

Latest

Trending

Trending