The Student Room Group

Confidence levels: How to find alpha if I know Z?

If I already know the value of Zα2Z_\frac{\alpha}{2}, how do I go about finding α\alpha?

I'm after a formula, I know I can look up a Z table, but I'm making a computer program which needs to calculate alpha. Unless anyone knows any C# commands that will calculate it automatically!

Help will be much appreciated. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Racist Dragon
If I already know the value of Zα2Z_\frac{\alpha}{2}, how do I go about finding α\alpha?

I'm after a formula, I know I can look up a Z table, but I'm making a computer program which needs to calculate alpha. Unless anyone knows any C# commands that will calculate it automatically!

Help will be much appreciated. :smile:

Another way of writing Zα2Z_\frac{\alpha}{2} is P(Z>x)+P(Z<x)=αP(Z > x) + P(Z < -x) = \alpha, so you get P(Z>x)=αP(|Z| > x) = \alpha, where xx is your value for Zα2Z_\frac{\alpha}{2}.
Original post by CTArsenal
Another way of writing Zα2Z_\frac{\alpha}{2} is P(Z>x)+P(Z<x)=αP(Z > x) + P(Z < -x) = \alpha, so you get P(Z>x)=αP(|Z| > x) = \alpha, where xx is your value for Zα2Z_\frac{\alpha}{2}.

Thanks for the help!

How is P(Z>x)P(Z > x) and P(Z<x)P(Z < -x) calculated? I think my knowledge on the fundamentals of statistics is very rusty or non existent as I'm a little lost now. :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Racist Dragon
Thanks for the help!

How is P(Z>x)P(Z > x) and P(Z<x)P(Z < -x) calculated?

What do you mean, as in how to work them out? They're equal to each other so essentially

2P(Z>x)=α2P(Z > x) = \alpha.

For instance, say your value of Zα2Z_\frac{\alpha}{2} was 1.321.32, α=2P(Z>1.32)\alpha = 2P(Z > 1.32).

This gives us α=2(10.9066)α=0.1868\alpha = 2(1 - 0.9066) \Rightarrow \alpha = 0.1868.
Original post by CTArsenal
What do you mean, as in how to work them out? They're equal to each other so essentially

2P(Z>x)=α2P(Z > x) = \alpha.

For instance, say your value of Zα2Z_\frac{\alpha}{2} was 1.321.32, α=2P(Z>1.32)\alpha = 2P(Z > 1.32).

This gives us α=2(10.9066)α=0.1868\alpha = 2(1 - 0.9066) \Rightarrow \alpha = 0.1868.

Oh that example cleared things right up, thank you! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
You can boost your confidence levels and truly become alpha by going to the gym, shooting up the test and shooting ropes in all kinds of men and women. That, is the true meaning of an alpha. good lukc brah stay shredded n make u some gains!!

Quick Reply

Latest