The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by spark27
Think it's about time?

this is the middle of July bro
Original post by Szmessh
this is the middle of July bro

These threads start earlier every year, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
in before someone asks if you can get a SW if you're not at a 'target'

oh and don't bother applying before mid October
Original post by Cutmeloose
in before someone asks if you can get a SW if you're not at a 'target'

oh and don't bother applying before mid October

Second that ^. Also, apply to places like Rothschild before October as they interview earlier but you can hold the BBs until October. Timing is everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Good luck everyone!

To get the ball rolling, these are the places (not necessary investment banks, but finance related) that offered Spring Programmes in 2014:

Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Barclays
Blackrock
BNP Paribas
BP
Citi
Credit Suisse
Deloitte
Deutsche Bank
EY
Goldman Sachs
HSBC
ICAP
JP Morgan
Morgan Stanley
Nomura
PwC
RBC Capital Markets
RBS
Rothschild
Shell
UBS
Reply 6
Original post by will2348
Second that ^. Also, apply to places like Rothschild before October as they interview earlier but you can hold the BBs until October. Timing is everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So for Boutiques, apply a bit earlier? Does anyone have a list of Boutiques or Middle Market firms that may offer Spring week or even internships for first year students?
Original post by spark27
So for Boutiques, apply a bit earlier? Does anyone have a list of Boutiques or Middle Market firms that may offer Spring week or even internships for first year students?

I think Rothschild is the only one with a formal SW programme.

But at the same time, target some MM firms to see if you can get some experience in your first year summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what % of SW applicants do you reckon have some sort of legit banking/finance experience? by legit I mean actual work experience/internship at a firm, not 'treasurer of my school's charity week committee'
Reply 9
Well this is ridiculous. I guess it's never too early to start talking about it.
Original post by Refrigerator
what % of SW applicants do you reckon have some sort of legit banking/finance experience? by legit I mean actual work experience/internship at a firm, not 'treasurer of my school's charity week committee'

Most people will not have anything aside from possibly insight days etc. You will find the odd applicant who has done a gap year in financial services, so either consulting, banking or accountancy. There may also be some who've managed to get something in the summer prior to university. Good to have some form of work experience though. I had a gap year, so had more experience than most people.

at the SW stage, it's more about your grades, university (to an extent) how well you fill in the forms, and how quickly you manage to get 'immersed' into extra curriculars in first term.

If you're going to one of the 'targets', plenty of opportunities in first term to interact with banks on and away from campus.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Most people will not have anything aside from possibly insight days etc. You will find the odd applicant who has done a gap year in financial services, so either consulting, banking or accountancy. There may also be some who've managed to get something in the summer prior to university. Good to have some form of work experience though. I had a gap year, so had more experience than most people.

at the SW stage, it's more about your grades, university (to an extent) how well you fill in the forms, and how quickly you manage to get 'immersed' into extra curriculars in first term.

If you're going to one of the 'targets', plenty of opportunities in first term to interact with banks on and away from campus.

If you don't get a Spring Week, are you basically out of the running for a Summer internship? I'm assuming not, since statistically Spring Week positions are more competitive than internships, right?
Original post by CD315
If you don't get a Spring Week, are you basically out of the running for a Summer internship? I'm assuming not, since statistically Spring Week positions are more competitive than internships, right?

No, not at all.

In the event of no SW, having a productive summer (i.e not lounging around at home for 3 months) along with strong grades/extra curricular will still give you a good shot.

Closer to the time, try and look for firms which accept first years for summer internships. As a first year, you'd assume you'll have no choice, but I did this and I'm currently half way through one within a related field.
(edited 9 years ago)

I see, thanks. Is it crucial to ~network~ in first term and get friendly with some bankers in order to namedrop in cover letters, or is that not really expected at this stage (or at any stage)?
Original post by Refrigerator
I see, thanks. Is it crucial to ~network~ in first term and get friendly with some bankers in order to namedrop in cover letters, or is that not really expected at this stage (or at any stage)?

Not crucial at all.

I'm sure you can imagine, that it'll help though. I think it'd help more for summer internships, where the link between you and the banker is more than tenuous. Apps often ask whether, 'you know anybody' at the firm.

So, it's wise to start networking early, since it'll help you in the future!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
No, not at all.

In the event of no SW, having a productive summer (i.e not lounging around at home for 3 months) along with strong grades/extra curricular will still give you a good shot.

Closer to the time, try and look for firms which accept first years for summer internships. As a first year, you'd assume you'll have no choice, but I did this and I'm currently half way through one within a related field.

Awesome. Thanks - I may be in touch.
Concentrate on getting work experience, networking and nailing the online tests.
Hey everyone! About what time does the application process start and do we need a CV or statement? (I am very new to all this) :smile: Thanks!
Reply 18
New, but totally in.
I'll be doing Economics at UCL, if anybody's going there too, pm me.

Good luck everyone. What investment banks are you aiming for?
And mostly, what department are you applying for?

I'm thinking about M&A, but also am genuinely interested in Sales and trading, I don't know yet. Guess I'll end up flipping a coin.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Applicant101
Concentrate on getting work experience, networking and nailing the online tests.

Hey could you PM me some links to these online applicant tests? Is it also impossible if you don't have banking experience and you're not at an target uni?