The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Broadgate Park!

Hello,
I was allocated a place in Broadgate Park a couple of months ago, and have recently been reading reviews etc about it!
I can't say that they have all been positive, and have even come across things such as Police Raids!!!

It would be so so helpful if any of last years residents could give me their opinion's and the truth about Broadgate!

Thank you so much in advance..
Hannah :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Threads pop up on these forums every year about Broadgate and citing bad reviews, but I've not seen any recent reviews slating it.

A few years back the halls underwent some renovation so perhaps the negative comments are out-of-date because I hear praise about BGP on here from people who have lived there.

I've been round the rooms and shared areas of Broadgate quite a bit for various roles and they seem good to me. You share a bathroom and kitchen with a few flat mates which is fun if you do group cooking every now and then, have a joint Christmas dinner etc, and means you know people within minutes of moving stuff in.

There's wired and wifi all around the halls so you should be able to connect devices wherever you are on site.

It's quite close to Sainsbury's and a 24 hour Tesco, and for small bits there's a convenience store on-site which even sells really cheap newspapers.

It's a 5-10 minute walk to campus depending where exactly in BGP you live, so it's as close as you can get to campus self-catered really.

All in all it seems pretty decent whenever I visit, and they have a really good student engagement staff member who is always looking at ways to improve things :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Is it possible to upgrade to standard large for Broadgate Park upon arrival but I have already accepted my offer for standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anita-573
Is it possible to upgrade to standard large for Broadgate Park upon arrival but I have already accepted my offer for standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They may not have any spare rooms to do that.

Your best bet is to phone them and ask, as they may be able to just do it over the phone if there are still large rooms left: http://www.uppbroadgatepark.com/contact.php
Reply 4
I'm not 100% but, when I applied, I think all of the standard large had already been taken up, as it is first come first served!
Original post by hantofts11
I'm not 100% but, when I applied, I think all of the standard large had already been taken up, as it is first come first served!

So did you just settle for the standard room?
Hello,
I was allocated a place in Broadgate Park a couple of months ago, and have recently been reading reviews etc about it!
I can't say that they have all been positive, and have even come across things such as Police Raids!!!

It would be so so helpful if any of last years residents could give me their opinion's and the truth about Broadgate!

Hi, I've only just came across this thread and considering I've just finished my year of living at BGP I thought I could be of some assistance. :smile:

So yeah, I've been living in a standard flat with 4 other people. The room size wasn't too bad and because it was only 5 people the whole idea of sharing bathrooms wasn't too bad as we had 2 between the 5 of us. The kitchen size was pretty small though, however if you go for an en-suite flat then you'll have a massive kitchen!

In my experience all the people that I lived with were very nice people, so didn't have any bad times with them. There were a few things that did annoy me which were the fact that their internet provider, studentcom was just always failing on us, especially during critical times. There was also a lot of things that weren't working in our flat so we constantly had to go to reception to report it, they then got sorted out very quickly.

There are a few good extras like having a shop, café and common room which provide a lot and some places to go and meet new people too. Then you have the JCR committee who organise all the events for you to attend throughout the year, so your first set will be freshers week where you'll have week one reps who would've helped organise what you do for the first week.

Not sure if you want to know anything else, but if you do, then just ask. :smile:
Hello,

My room has also been allocated. The reasons I applied to Broadgate :
1- I like cooking for myself
2- it's the closest self-catered site to the main campus
3- my sister just graduated from Nottingham and lived there for her first year and told me Broadgate is really nice( though she says, she had very nice and friendly flat mates )

A few things she pointed out :

It becomes super noisy in the afternoon and even after midnight as everybody is drunk so buy some ear-plugs as you won't be able to sleep without them.

people sometimes steal your food.

If you think you have a bad internet connection, get an Ethernet cable.

If you share stuff in the kitchen( doing shopping together and splitting the bill, cooking together, etc) you could save around 100-120 quid a month. I KNOW THIS ONE IS OFF TOPIC, BUT I THINK IS WORTH MENTIONING.

BTW , what are you going to be studying ?
Reply 8
So did you just settle for the standard room?

Yes, I settled for standard, but I don't think they are overly small!
Reply 9
Original post by dynostatic
3- my sister just graduated from Nottingham and lived there for her first year and told me Broadgate is really nice( though she says, she had very nice and friendly flat mates )

It becomes super noisy in the afternoon and even after midnight as everybody is drunk so buy some ear-plugs as you won't be able to sleep without them.

If you share stuff in the kitchen( doing shopping together and splitting the bill, cooking together, etc) you could save around 100-120 quid a month. I KNOW THIS ONE IS OFF TOPIC, BUT I THINK IS WORTH MENTIONING.

If the ethernet works then, thats a great idea!
I have an allergy to gluten, so I doubt people will eat my gross food! :wink:
Im studying natural sciences! you?
If the ethernet works then, thats a great idea!
I have an allergy to gluten, so I doubt people will eat my gross food! :wink:
Im studying natural sciences! you?

Fair enough - but when people are drunk and hungry they eat anything lol :biggrin:
I'll be studying Mechanical Engineering.:redface:

nervous about results day?
Reply 11
Fair enough - but when people are drunk and hungry they eat anything lol :biggrin:
I'll be studying Mechanical Engineering.:redface:

nervous about results day?

A little! kinda forgotten about the whole thing.. that way i cant freak out too much! you?
A little! kinda forgotten about the whole thing.. that way i cant freak out too much! you?

Yeah I'm quite nervous....:colonhash:
I have a very unpleasant experience with results days.
But this time I'm also a bit excited...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Yeah I'm quite nervous....:colonhash:
I have a very unpleasant experience with results days.
But this time I'm also a bit excited...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im sure itll all work out fine! you were given the offer for a reason! :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by MathsNerd1
Hi, I've only just came across this thread and considering I've just finished my year of living at BGP I thought I could be of some assistance. :smile:

So yeah, I've been living in a standard flat with 4 other people. The room size wasn't too bad and because it was only 5 people the whole idea of sharing bathrooms wasn't too bad as we had 2 between the 5 of us. The kitchen size was pretty small though, however if you go for an en-suite flat then you'll have a massive kitchen!

In my experience all the people that I lived with were very nice people, so didn't have any bad times with them. There were a few things that did annoy me which were the fact that their internet provider, studentcom was just always failing on us, especially during critical times. There was also a lot of things that weren't working in our flat so we constantly had to go to reception to report it, they then got sorted out very quickly.

There are a few good extras like having a shop, café and common room which provide a lot and some places to go and meet new people too. Then you have the JCR committee who organise all the events for you to attend throughout the year, so your first set will be freshers week where you'll have week one reps who would've helped organise what you do for the first week.

Not sure if you want to know anything else, but if you do, then just ask. :smile:

Im going to be living in standard, no ensuite! Could you possibly give me a list of the things that I need to take with me?
Reply 15
I've also finished my first year of Uni (Somehow) and Broadgate was also my first year accommodation. I lived in a ensuite and from my first year experience I'm glad I picked Broadgate. It's a nice idealic community where everyone's so friendly and your bound to see familiar faces and even make new ones, especially during the summer we had when everyone was outside on the grass. There's lots of events happening throughout all year to make your uni life comfortable from the JCR. As mentioned as there's the convenience of the BGP shop for all your last minute necessities (Useful during Exam Period), including a Free Cash Withdrawal Machine (I recommend getting Internet Banking for your convenience) oh and watch for the Scottish Guy in the shop, he'll make your even your Monday mornings to a Friday Afternoon. I particularly like going to the Café every Friday just to meet up with friends for what we call a casual night in, rather than Clubbing. Also the location from Uni Park to Beeston was ideal.

Whilst there were many positives I wouldn't say there were negative just small issues I had. Firstly StudentCom this is what probably most Broadgate people would instantly bring up constantly fails. The Ethernet provides a backup connection as well as the Wifi (Recommend you bring an Ethernet Cable) but it does tend to have a mind of its own (I had to keep Signing in). Make sure you clear your surfaces on cleaning day as the cleaners won't be happy (Mine knocks on all my flatmates door every Friday it's lucky I had a 9am Lecture so I avoided her fury). Noise wise it does tend to be a little noisy but then that's general student accommodation I'd imagine it'd be worse in Catered Halls in Saturday 3ams. Staff at BGP are friendly, willing to help and there's a 24hr Reception but I had two intrusions where they came into my room without Knocking or Notices (I was really pissed off). This may be just my block but our fire alarm constantly went off to the point from occasional to mornings to even 2 minutes after each other (Still it was nice to meet the neighbours)

Apart from those issues I really didn't have much of a problem with Broadgate it was safe and friendly environment and a good choice for First Years. If you have anymore questions about BGP or even First year experience feel free to ask me or MathsNerd 1

Hope to see you all in Nottingham at some point

Hi
Just wanted to ask a question, how long should the cable be and how does it make the internet connection better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi
Just wanted to ask a question, how long should the cable be and how does it make the internet connection better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, well considering I still don't know which block I'll end up in, I don't know if they even have one functioning. So I'm going to wait until I get my confirmation then I'll find out if it's working and what to do next.

But tbh as ethernet cables are not very expensive and any ( no matter what the price is ) would do the job, I would get a 2m cable ( or 2 with a splitter if there's only one socket in the room, so this way I can also connect my xbox to it as well)
I'm going to be in broadgate, trying not to let some of the reviews worry me after all you're more likely to write a review if you've had a bad experience and most are really old! :smile:
Reply 19
The Ethernet cable doesn't need to be long it is literally right on your desk where you'll put your laptop/computer no need for long one it's literally on the wall next to your desk. It'll be a nightmare when you have a long cable all tangled up with the rest of the stuff

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending