The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan Problems, Help Please?

Hi,

I completed my student finance but stupidly forget to apply for maintenance loan. I sent off the maintenance loan request form when I realised what I'd done - about two weeks after I submitted the main student finance stuff.

The thing is, they've accepted my main stuff and sent me the declaration to sign but there's no word yet of the maintenance loan. It says it takes six weeks to process so I was actually expecting it ages ago and I'm worried it's gotten lost.

I'm not sure what to do. I have at least six weeks before I start uni, so should I resend a maintenance loan request form? Do you think it could all be sorted out in time? I really don't want to delay getting my loans. I've never had late loans before so I'm not entirely sure who to speak to and what to do if it happens.

Alternatively, should I sign the declaration and accept what they're already offering and then send of a maintenance loan request form afterwards or would that basically take the same amount of time?

I really do need the extra money so leaving it out entirely really isn't an option.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by Kabulkid
Doesnt look like it by the sound of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did phone them, they said they're still processing everyone's forms. That's why I'm not sure whether I should just wait it out and see if they've got it or resend.

The woman on the phone offered to send me another Maintenance loan request form but didn't say whether they had or hadn't received the one I already had. She just told me about the things I could already see online.
Reply 2
Original post by Baldness
OK so ....

Fill the ..kin form in and return it to them ...ASAP.

They dont have an army of gnomes that can locate your application and check for you. You need to cover your ass. She has advised you what to do. You don't like the answer and you expect us to be able to provide you wit ha better answer.

Next time don't be such a dumb arse and check your work when applying for people to GIVE YOU MONEY you need ....

Have you ANY idea how many applications this company are going to be dealing with ?

They don't give a crap if you don't get yet your loan on time ...

Oh and .. if you had already telephoned them you should have included this information in your original question ....

I'm sorry I didn't include the phone call in the original post, but I just didn't think it would be important because she didn't give me any extra info that I needed to add.

I know I have to send off some forms. My question was whether I should re-send the Maintenance loan form or sign the declaration first and apply for maintenance loan later. I wasn't sure if signing the declaration would mean I couldn't have a maintenance loan.

I'm sorry if it was a stupid question but I genuinely didn't know which was the best route. I've never had this issue before and was just puzzled. I didn't post this to annoy anybody, I was just hoping somebody could help.
Reply 3
Why are people so arrogant and obnoxious on here? I've heard that student finance is a nightmare to contact. Also, phone operators aren't exactly proficient. There was absolutely no need to question his/her ability to undertake a degree at university.
Tidied this thread. Please don't respond to trolls and just report them.

BethaneyJ
READ the declaration. It says somewhere on it that it's subject to amendments or something.
Reply 6
Original post by SmallTownGirl
READ the declaration. It says somewhere on it that it's subject to amendments or something.

It said subject to changes but I figured that was to cover their bases if they ever decided you were going to get less than you originally planned because I know big companies do that to cover themselves. I thought it meant THEY were entitled to change the amount and that I couldn't doing it by sending in a form.

I was just concerned that, if I signed it, they would see that as the end of the whole thing and not add the maintenance loan later because I'd already agreed.

(I know I sound really idiotic, I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm not very good with words.)

Now that I know it applies to changes I wish to make to the amount, I guess that means I can just sign and post it off and change the maintenance loan afterwards. Thank you very much!
Reply 7
Original post by C-Rooney
Why are people so arrogant and obnoxious on here? I've heard that student finance is a nightmare to contact. Also, phone operators aren't exactly proficient. There was absolutely no need to question his/her ability to undertake a degree at university.

I guess they just get sick of daft people like me haha

Thank you for being kind though!
Reply 8
Original post by TheBookThief
I guess they just get sick of daft people like me haha

Thank you for being kind though!

No worries.cMaybe in future you will be a little more thorough when filling out student finance, eh lol.
Reply 9
Original post by C-Rooney
No worries.cMaybe in future you will be a little more thorough when filling out student finance, eh lol.

I was kicking myself as soon as I realised. Next time I'll have to read every word ten times and sit about an inch away from the computer screen so I don't miss a thing :biggrin:
If you sign the declaration, you'd get whatever you applied for originally. They would then review your other evidence / anything claimed for later and amend your entitlement.
Reply 11
Original post by TheBookThief
I was kicking myself as soon as I realised. Next time I'll have to read every word ten times and sit about an inch away from the computer screen so I don't miss a thing :biggrin:

I have to admit that the forms are far from simple, at least SAAS anyway. I was asked this crazy question on my application 4 weeks ago and it never made sense at all, even the phone operator was unsure as to what the question meant lol!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending