The Student Room Group

Can IQs go up?

Over five years ago, I had a diagnostic assessment for a learning difficulty, which later revealed that I was suffering from ADD/Autism. The results were quite worrying, for punctuating the average results were scores that showed significant aspects mental retardation. For instance, my scores were below 70 in some instances. My overall IQ was determined as 97.

I did three IQ tests yesterday, which were online variants of assessments, and they came up with an average of 100. However, I would be inclined to question the validity of those results.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kasa
Over five years ago, I had a diagnostic assessment for a learning difficulty, which later revealed that I was suffering from ADD/Autism. The results were quite worrying, for punctuating the average results were scores that showed significant aspects mental retardation. For instance, my scores were below 70 in some instances. My overall IQ was determined as 97.

I did three IQ tests yesterday, which were online variants of assessments, and they came up with an average of 100. However, I would be inclined to question the validity of those results.

online IQ tests probably aren't very reliable tbh

the under 16 IQ score is based on "mental age" / calendar age - for adults it's different, you woudn't expect a 40 year old to do significantly better than a 30 year old at IQ type questions... and there can be a step when you go from the juvenile to adult tests.

afaik your IQ score can get knocked down by a flu, tiredness etc. obviously it should recover when you're better again.
Reply 2
online IQ tests probably aren't very reliable tbh

Yeah I guess... But they can be used in conjunction with the results from the previous tests, which suggest that nothing has really changed..

the under 16 IQ score is based on "mental age" / calendar age - for adults it's different, you woudn't expect a 40 year old to do significantly better than a 30 year old at IQ type questions... and there can be a step when you go from the juvenile to adult tests.

Thanks..

afaik your IQ score can get knocked down by a flu, tiredness etc. obviously it should recover when you're better again.

The ADD would naturally afflict the concentration span required to participate in such a test.

Thanks for your advice.
Reply 3
Original post by Kasa

IQ scores can change - like any test you can learn how to get a good score

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Andy98
IQ scores can change - like any test you can learn how to get a good score

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes me question why people place so much emphasis on them..
Original post by Kasa

Your IQ is 'normal', albeit a few points under (but I doubt its all that accurate). Most online free ones have practically no/very little accuracy.
What psychometric properties did you score low on?
Reply 6
Original post by hellodave5
Your IQ is 'normal', albeit a few points under (but I doubt its all that accurate).
What psychometric properties did you score low on?

Processing Speed Index
Performance Scale
Blending Word Test
Symbol Search
Phonological Awareness Composite
Symbol Coding

All of these yielded a well-below 100 score. .

And a whole load more..
ofc if you took the same test twice you'd get a higher score on the second round.
Original post by ChickenMadness
ofc if you took the same test twice you'd get a higher score on the second round.

The key word here is 'practice'
Reply 9

What about if they had different questions? Essentially, not the same test, but similar types of questions.. Would you expect them to yield a similar result?
Original post by Kasa
What about if they had different questions? Essentially, not the same test, but similar types of questions.. Would you expect them to yield a similar result?

ye imo. Since they still test the same things. If you keep on doing IQ tests you'l just get better after a while. Extra brain stimulation, extra neurons associated with that type of activity will start linking up and you'l just be more effective at that stuff.
Reply 11
ye imo. Since they still test the same things. If you keep on doing IQ tests you'l just get better after a while. Extra brain stimulation, extra neurons associated with that type of activity will start linking up and you'l just be more effective at that stuff.

Makes sense..

Then I will have to go on the results of the first test, which I am naturally very disappointed by..

It really does make be below par in terms of intelligence.
Reply 12
Original post by Kasa
That makes me question why people place so much emphasis on them..

Because the idea behind them is that they are a measure of intelligence (despite the fact they don't work). But the question it makes ask is: define intelligence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
They say that people with my IQ should seek jobs for those have no degrees...
Reply 14
Original post by Andy98
Because the idea behind them is that they are a measure of intelligence (despite the fact they don't work). But the question it makes ask is: define intelligence

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm Thanks.
Reply 15
Original post by Kasa
Hmmm Thanks.

No problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Kasa
They say that people with my IQ should seek jobs for those have no degrees...

I went through all the tests when I was young, can't remember my IQ though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Andy98
I went through all the tests when I was young, can't remember my IQ though

Posted from TSR Mobile

How old are you now?
Reply 18
Original post by Kasa
How old are you now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kasa
Processing Speed Index
Performance Scale
Blending Word Test
Symbol Search
Phonological Awareness Composite
Symbol Coding

All of these yielded a well-below 100 score. .

And a whole load more..

I wouldn't dwell on it. I'm not sure what these sub-categories mean without descriptors really.
Can sort of see visuo-spatial and phonology maybe; problems with handwriting?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending