The Student Room Group

My unexplained illness is ruining my life

Hi everyone.

I'm 20 years old and for the last 2ish years, (symptoms have got worse within the past 6 months) I've been suffering from what I can only describe as an illness, but I haven't been diagnosed with anything.

I need to mention I'm not a hypochondriac or anything, I don't self diagnose and I don't visit the doctors often, so I know I'm not being dramatic.

The biggest problems I have are complete exhaustion. I wake in the morning from a 7/8 hour sleep with a splitting headache, often dizziness, and feeling like I haven't slept at all.

I also suffer from low moods. I would not say I have depression; it is prevalent in my family, but I really don't think I have it. However, I'd say for at least 4 days of the week, I feel extremely upset, irritated by others and sometimes angry, for no apparent reason.

Other problems I suffer from include (sorry if any of these are too detailed!): odd bowel movements (some days I have extreme constipation, others diarrhoea, even though my eating habits haven't changed), unexplained weight gain (by this I mean I haven't changed my eating habits but I gain a lot of weight in a short amount of time),aching muscles and joints, absolutely zero libido, eczema in random patches on my body, and anxiety.

I feel like my symptoms are so random and don't point to anything. My mother is a nurse and suggested I go to my GP and get a blood test for an underactive thyroid, as she feels I have a lot of the symptoms. My GP just shrugged it off and said It was either down to teenage hormones, or having put weight on.

I don't think it's my lifestyle that causes this. I try to eat as healthily as I can, being so exhausted means exercise is tough but at the very least, I walk my dogs every day. I don't drink, smoke or take any drugs. The only medication I take is the pill (Microgynon 30), which I've been on for 4 years with no problems.

I'm unsure what to do. Feeling constantly fatigued and always having headaches is not only draining, but also stops me from doing everyday things like driving, as I feel I wouldn't be safe. It's also affecting my relationships, with both friends and family, as I'm always so low and too tired to join in.

I've got such low self-esteem from this. I know TSR users aren't doctors (necessarily...), but I would just love some guidance, since my GP has shrugged me off without a second thought.

I have booked in to see a different GP on Wednesday, though he isn't very friendly so I'm terrified. If before then, anyone has any ideas what might be causing all this, it would be so useful as I could mention it and hopefully press for tests/answers.

Thanks for any advice :redface: and sorry this is so long.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shinymagpie
Hi everyone.

I'm 20 years old and for the last 2ish years, (symptoms have got worse within the past 6 months) I've been suffering from what I can only describe as an illness, but I haven't been diagnosed with anything.

I need to mention I'm not a hypochondriac or anything, I don't self diagnose and I don't visit the doctors often, so I know I'm not being dramatic.

The biggest problems I have are complete exhaustion. I wake in the morning from a 7/8 hour sleep with a splitting headache, often dizziness, and feeling like I haven't slept at all.

I also suffer from low moods. I would not say I have depression; it is prevalent in my family, but I really don't think I have it. However, I'd say for at least 4 days of the week, I feel extremely upset, irritated by others and sometimes angry, for no apparent reason.

Other problems I suffer from include (sorry if any of these are too detailed!): odd bowel movements (some days I have extreme constipation, others diarrhoea, even though my eating habits haven't changed), unexplained weight gain (by this I mean I haven't changed my eating habits but I gain a lot of weight in a short amount of time),aching muscles and joints, absolutely zero libido, eczema in random patches on my body, and anxiety.

I feel like my symptoms are so random and don't point to anything. My mother is a nurse and suggested I go to my GP and get a blood test for an underactive thyroid, as she feels I have a lot of the symptoms. My GP just shrugged it off and said It was either down to teenage hormones, or having put weight on.

I don't think it's my lifestyle that causes this. I try to eat as healthily as I can, being so exhausted means exercise is tough but at the very least, I walk my dogs every day. I don't drink, smoke or take any drugs. The only medication I take is the pill (Microgynon 30), which I've been on for 4 years with no problems.

I'm unsure what to do. Feeling constantly fatigued and always having headaches is not only draining, but also stops me from doing everyday things like driving, as I feel I wouldn't be safe. It's also affecting my relationships, with both friends and family, as I'm always so low and too tired to join in.

I've got such low self-esteem from this. I know TSR users aren't doctors (necessarily...), but I would just love some guidance, since my GP has shrugged me off without a second thought.

I have booked in to see a different GP on Wednesday, though he isn't very friendly so I'm terrified. If before then, anyone has any ideas what might be causing all this, it would be so useful as I could mention it and hopefully press for tests/answers.

Thanks for any advice :redface: and sorry this is so long.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only advice I have is to be persistent with this new doctor. Explain everything to him and don't leave until he has a suggestion. I really hope you feel better!
Reply 2
Original post by Coffeetime
The only advice I have is to be persistent with this new doctor. Explain everything to him and don't leave until he has a suggestion. I really hope you feel better!

Thank you, I will try my best :biggrin: unfortunately I'm rubbish at being persistent with people so I might just write a note of all my symptoms with 'FIX ME' in capitals at the bottom :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wonder how much of your depression is because you have this unexplained illness?

Are you keeping a diary and are there any patterns?
Thank you, I will try my best :biggrin: unfortunately I'm rubbish at being persistent with people so I might just write a note of all my symptoms with 'FIX ME' in capitals at the bottom :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am too. I'm a complete coward. Maybe write down what you want to say beforehand?
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
I wonder how much of your depression is because you have this unexplained illness?

Are you keeping a diary and are there any patterns?

I was thinking this myself. I don't want to say I have depression as I hate self-diagnoses like those, but I definitely have low moods, maybe because I am always tired.

I haven't kept a diary actually but thinking about it, I might try. Always something I could show to my GP if nothing else works. Thanks for that idea :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought it could've been coeliac disease (Gluten intolerance) until you mentioned weight gain - usually this causes weight loss. It's worth noting that your description of your bowel issues sound very similar to IBS, so they may not be related to the others, although they could be. Definitely see the doctors again though, this is quite strange...
Another thing to consider is whether you actually have more than one illness, rather than just the one illness.
You seem to have many symptoms that I had last year!!

Ask for a blood test to check if you need b12 injections. I had CONSTANT headaches, tiredness, dizziness and general run down feeling. This was because I was severely low in the vitamin b12. A simple blood test will find this out. If so, you'll need the injections once a week, then once a month then once every three months. A blood test will be taken once every 6 months to check you levels and how often you need the injections.

Also, for anxiety, (which made me feel really low as well) I was given propranolol which helped and also helps for headaches too.

For the additional weight, do a diet diary and write down everything (even how many sugars are in your tea etc) and after a week you should have a good idea. Take that to the drs for proof too. If you ask for anything like blood tests etc the doctors don't refuse if you stress as if they refuse and you do have something wrong that that blood test could have predicted early and prevented you can sue them.

Hope you find out the source!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Bulbasaur
I thought it could've been coeliac disease (Gluten intolerance) until you mentioned weight gain - usually this causes weight loss. It's worth noting that your description of your bowel issues sound very similar to IBS, so they may not be related to the others, although they could be. Definitely see the doctors again though, this is quite strange...

I also considered this. Annoyingly, I've eaten relatively the same diet for most of my teenage years,and I don't have huge portion sizes or extra helpings,so my weight gain is so frustrating :frown: I do love minstrels but I don't eat *that* bloody much of them :tongue:

Thanks for your help, I hadn't considered IBS but I might ask for his opinion on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by EmmaHalley
You seem to have many symptoms that I had last year!!

Ask for a blood test to check if you need b12 injections. I had CONSTANT headaches, tiredness, dizziness and general run down feeling. This was because I was severely low in the vitamin b12.

Hope you find out the source!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for this, It's comforting to know I'm not going insane and someone has suffered similar haha! Did you find that with the b12 injections, you had immediate relief from your tiredness etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by OU Student
Another thing to consider is whether you actually have more than one illness, rather than just the one illness.

Oh golly gosh, hopefully it's not multiple
illnesses :frown: *scared*

Posted from TSR Mobile
... last 2ish years ... complete exhaustion ... headache ... dizziness ... feeling like I haven't slept at all ... low moods ... extremely upset, irritated ... angry, for no apparent reason ... odd bowel movements ... unexplained weight gain ... aching muscles and joints ... zero libido ... eczema in random patches ... anxiety ... symptoms are so random ... underactive thyroid ... exercise is tough ... stops me from doing everyday things ... affecting my relationships ... too tired to join in ... low self-esteem

Sounds like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome/ME which I have and it sucks. It usually comes up after a viral infection (glandular fever for me, along with on-and-off illnesses as a kid) or ongoing illness or some illness during a stressful time or just stress/over-exhaustion but sometimes doesn't follow anything. If you can remember anything like that before getting ill, tell the GP. The vast majority of those symptoms fit mine (except headaches/dizzines/weight) but the different names I gave are varying forms of the illness that tbh doctors don't understand (e.g. ME is more to do with chronic pain as well). I'm not saying it is CFS/PVFS/ME but it sure sounds like it.

If the GP thinks it is, you'll go through some months of tests (mainly bloodtests with some others) to figure out what's up. If the tests tell them nothing; it's CFS/PVFS/ME. Basically an illness that confuses doctors because the symptoms are obvious and there but they don't understand it and can't treat it.

I had one ****ty GP who I wanted to punch tbh so don't worry about that one person shrugging it off because the other GP I saw who referred me picked up on it and told me what the other GP had said was bs. I'd make a point of emphasising the constant exhaustion, not feeling better after sleep, length of time suffering, mood/anxiety and how it stops your everyday life because those should be warning signs to any educated doctor. I was told that unexplained weight loss was a symptom but definitely mention the gain and your headaches/dizziness too. The 'eczema' thing might actually be eczema or an auto-immune rash that comes with CFS which I have too, painful/irritating/inflamed/random/widespread?

Tell me how the appointment goes? If it is CFS then you might want someone to talk to because I felt hella alone after being told 'hey, you'll have this 6months to a lifetime and we can't help you because we don't understand you' -.-
Reply 13
Original post by flyyoufools
Sounds like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome/ME which I have and it sucks. It usually comes up after a viral infection (glandular fever for me, along with on-and-off illnesses as a kid) or ongoing illness or some illness during a stressful time or just stress/over-exhaustion but sometimes doesn't follow anything. If you can remember anything like that before getting ill, tell the GP. The vast majority of those symptoms fit mine (except headaches/dizzines/weight) but the different names I gave are varying forms of the illness that tbh doctors don't understand (e.g. ME is more to do with chronic pain as well). I'm not saying it is CFS/PVFS/ME but it sure sounds like it.

Tell me how the appointment goes? If it is CFS then you might want someone to talk to because I felt hella alone after being told 'hey, you'll have this 6months to a lifetime and we can't help you because we don't understand you' -.-

Thanks for the help :smile: I'm sorry, that sounds horrible :frown: I will let you know how it goes, I wish I had tried to remedy it earlier in the year as being so exhausted in this hot weather is awful *grumble*

I should add, the only ailments I've ever had were bronchitis when I was a baby, and a few bouts of Tonsillitis, so I'm hoping it's not chronic fatigue after a viral infection :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks for the help :smile: I'm sorry, that sounds horrible :frown: I will let you know how it goes, I wish I had tried to remedy it earlier in the year as being so exhausted in this hot weather is awful *grumble*

I should add, the only ailments I've ever had were bronchitis when I was a baby, and a few bouts of Tonsillitis, so I'm hoping it's not chronic fatigue after a viral infection :frown:

No problem :smile: It is but I'm learning to cope and there are alternative therapies that I'm trying; it could be worse! Yeah I getcha, I don't usually regret anything, even bad decisions, but I'm finding it hard to forgive myself for this one because I made it worse by ignoring my glandular fever and not giving myself time to heal -.-
It doesn't always come after an illness but that does sound a little hopeful. They did so many tests on me so I'm sure they'll figure it out with you, just be patient because it takes time.
Reply 15
If I were you, I would ask for a FBC with thyroid function test if you haven't done so already. Most of your symptoms are consistent with hypothyroidism, probably something that your GP will overlook but it's worth asking for a referral to see an endocrinologist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by C-Rooney
If I were you, I would ask for a FBC with thyroid function test if you haven't done so already. Most of your symptoms are consistent with hypothyroidism, probably something that your GP will overlook but it's worth asking for a referral to see an endocrinologist.

This is my main plan of action as my Mum seems to think hypothyroidism may be my problem, I'm so scared though as I hear it can be a battle to make them test you in the first place :frown: Thanks so much for the advice and fingers crossed

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found that after about 1 - 2 days after the injection i felt like i had so much energy and hardly a headache at all. However towards the end of the month a couple of days before I was to get the next injection id feel horrible again.I really needed them every three weeks id say but i think they only do 2, 4 or 12 week intervals when regularly having them. Its something to rule out at least! :smile:
Reply 18
This is my main plan of action as my Mum seems to think hypothyroidism may be my problem, I'm so scared though as I hear it can be a battle to make them test you in the first place :frown: Thanks so much for the advice and fingers crossed

Posted from TSR Mobile

In that case, I would definitely request a referral to be seen by an endocrinologist. Also, your GP may be reluctant to refer you so be prepared to reason with him/her. Good luck :smile:
Maybe crohn's/irritable bowel syndrome and possibly ME http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chronic-fatigue-syndrome/Pages/Symptoms.aspx ?

Quick Reply

Latest