The Student Room Group

Where would you rather live, Las Vegas or Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)?

Poll

Would you rather live in Las Vegas or Riyadh

I'm interested to know where people's values on this site truly lie.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Riyadh .
Saudi all day errday :cool:
Riyadh

Aside from lawless countries like Somali, the US would probably be the last place I would ever want to live or be

Decant. Cultureless. Wasteland.
Original post by KingBradly

Btw do you honestly expect non-muslims to say they'd rather live in saudi?

OP you have an ulterior motive..

Riyadh. I would much rather live in a society where everyone is treated with respect, and women are not treated as sex objects.
For those of you saying that women are disrespected and imprisoned in Riyadh, please compare the lifestyle and happiness of a women in Riyadh and one in Las Vegas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Secretnerd123
Btw do you honestly expect non-muslims to say they'd rather live in saudi?

OP you have an ulterior motive..

You do realise that Riyadh has a thriving gay scene and the Saudi princes probably snort more coke than anyone, so don't actually go thinking it's a particularly Islamic place
Reply 7
Original post by arrow900
Riyadh. I would much rather live in a society where everyone is treated with respect, and women are not treated as sex objects.
For those of you saying that women are disrespected and imprisoned in Riyadh, please compare the lifestyle and happiness of a women in Riyadh and one in Las Vegas, you w

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only reason rates of rape in Saudi Arabia are officially so low is because victims have a good chance of being punished if they report them. Domestic violence is something the police take a blind eye to. I seriously doubt women are happy there. Sex slavery and other forms of human trafficking are also a serious problem there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking_in_Saudi_Arabia
Riyadh cos Las Vegas would be too many sins for a lifetime lol
This is taken from the same link:
The 2006 report shows some effort by the Kingdom to address the problems, but continues to classify the Kingdom as a Tier 3 country. The report recommends, "The government should enforce existing Islamic laws that forbid the mistreatment of women, children, and laborers..."

I assume that the OP is referring to a Saudi Arabia where Islamic Law is fully enforced, which was the case not long ago.
In which case the issue of human tracking would be easily resolved. But I suppose that is a sign of the western ideology creeping in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by arrow900
This is taken from the same link:
The 2006 report shows some effort by the Kingdom to address the problems, but continues to classify the Kingdom as a Tier 3 country. The report recommends, "The government should enforce existing Islamic laws that forbid the mistreatment of women, children, and laborers..."

I assume that the OP is referring to a Saudi Arabia where Islamic Law is fully enforced, which was the case not long ago.
In which case the issue of human tracking would be easily resolved. But I suppose that is a sign of the western ideology creeping in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't care how they go about getting rid of human trafficking, they should just do it. But they aren't and they never will do. But then again the Qu'ran and Hadiths both consider slavery to be A-OK so I doubt much will happen.

Also, can you stop referring to any ideology which isn't Islamic as 'Western'? Many other religions and cultures consider Islam to be an unpleasant ideology. I myself find many Eastern religions very interesting and intellectually stimulating. It just happens that Islam isn't one of them.
(edited 9 years ago)
vegas, saudi arabia would be just awful
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd burn alive in both but Las Vegas.
Reply 13
It's kind of disturbing that more people have gone with Riyadh. I think people have a such a boner for hating the west that they've completely lost touch with reality.
defo Riyadh.. can be with my Muslim brothers and sisters and hopefully find a beautiful wife there :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Kabulkid
defo Riyadh.. can be with my Muslim brothers and sisters and hopefully find a beautiful wife there :smile:

How could you find a beautiful wife if you can't see any of the women?
How could you find a beautiful wife if you can't see any of the women?

beautiful is not just about the looks, looks are superficial at the end of the day, its all about whats inside.
Original post by Kabulkid

you'd rather live in an absolute-monarchy theocratic dictatorship than a constitutional and semi-(liberal)democratic republic?
It's kind of disturbing that more people have gone with Riyadh. I think people have a such a boner for hating the west that they've completely lost touch with reality.

I lived in Riyadh for a bit as a kid. I've also been to Vegas twice.

Your view of Riyadh is clearly 'oppressive hellhole'. It's nothing of the sort. It's an eminently liveable city.

Picking between the two depends on context. Riyadh is actually a decent place to bring up a young family. Vegas, not so much. Riyadh is also surprisingly fun for kids age 0-18.

As a non-Muslim male in his twenties, though, I much prefer Vegas. I do also think almost all non-Muslim women would prefer Vegas.
Original post by zippity.doodah
you'd rather live in an absolute-monarchy theocratic dictatorship than a constitutional and semi-(liberal)democratic republic?

I would rather live in a land where people have values

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending