The Student Room Group

Where would you rather live, Las Vegas or Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ClickItBack
I lived in Riyadh for a bit as a kid. I've also been to Vegas twice.

Your view of Riyadh is clearly 'oppressive hellhole'. It's nothing of the sort. It's an eminently liveable city.

Picking between the two depends on context. Riyadh is actually a decent place to bring up a young family. Vegas, not so much. Riyadh is also surprisingly fun for kids age 0-18.

As a non-Muslim male in his twenties, though, I much prefer Vegas. I do also think almost all non-Muslim women would prefer Vegas.

why did u live in riyadh?
Original post by Mubariz
I would rather live in a land where people have values

...dark age values, more like; no respect for women, no value in liberty and no faith in modern human progression
Original post by interact
why did u live in riyadh?

Parents worked there.
Wouldn't like to live in either but if I had to.. Definitely Vegas
Original post by zippity.doodah
you'd rather live in an absolute-monarchy theocratic dictatorship than a constitutional and semi-(liberal)democratic republic?

mhhhhhm
...dark age values, more like; no respect for women, no value in liberty and no faith in modern human progression

Respect for women, they have.
Pretty sure they also have liberty, they aren't slaves lol
Is that why middle eastern countries invest so much into modern infrastructure etc etc

Islam isn't for everybody I accept, but not every muslim is a bad person and Islam isn't bad at base value
Original post by Mubariz
I would rather live in a land where people have values

Nutjob values?
Original post by College_Dropout
Nutjob values?

Values are subjective.

I feel the values in vegas are "nutjob values"
Reply 28
Original post by Kabulkid
beautiful is not just about the looks, looks are superficial at the end of the day, its all about whats inside.

Being sexually attracted to your partner is pretty damn important, so no it isn't 'all about what's inside'.
Original post by Mubariz
Respect for women, they have.

that's a fat lie; I'm no feminist but for the love of god women in the middle east (especially certain sections like arabia) have much fewer rights than men - why would a country with adequate respect for women treat them as inferior individuals? that's like saying that america before the civil rights period treated black people respectfully.

Pretty sure they also have liberty, they aren't slaves lol

so your standard of liberty = "at least they're not slaves"...wow.

Is that why middle eastern countries invest so much into modern infrastructure etc etc

by modern progression I'm talking mainly about the enlightenment, actually...and the investment category that saudi arabia is maintaining at the moment is based on western technology

but not every muslim is a bad person and Islam isn't bad at base value

yes it is
Original post by KingBradly
Being sexually attracted to your partner is pretty damn important, so no it isn't 'all about what's inside'.

not for me, it's all about personality and what kind of person she is. That will make me sexually attracted to her.
Reply 31
Original post by ClickItBack
I do also think almost all non-Muslim women would prefer Vegas.

So what you're saying is that if you happen to have a vagina, then Riyadh isn't such an "eminently liveable city".
Original post by Mubariz
Values are subjective.

I feel the values in vegas are "nutjob values"

I think a country which stones women to death for adultery, Even if she reports she is raped she would need 4 male witnesses, if she doesnt she would be admitting to having sex outside of marriage and therefore stones. Thats what I call good values to the fill barbaric extent.
Reply 33
not for me, it's all about personality and what kind of person she is. That will make me sexually attracted to her.

Surely that means you could just as easily be attracted to men then.
So what you're saying is that if you happen to have a vagina, then Riyadh isn't such an "eminently liveable city".

Depends on the individual woman. A lot of non-Muslim women loved it there.

But I do think the majority would prefer Vegas - particularly if they were single.
Original post by Khallil
Why isn't what's inside superficial?

Because we get given our looks and we can't change it (I don't wunna get into the plastic surgery nonsense here), however whats inside is what is truly you.
Surely that means you could just as easily be attracted to men then.

No, women and men have different personalities. My point is that I'll fall in love with my wife because of her personality not her looks, by extension I'll then be physically attracted to her.
that's a fat lie; I'm no feminist but for the love of god women in the middle east (especially certain sections like arabia) have much fewer rights than men - why would a country with adequate respect for women treat them as inferior individuals? that's like saying that america before the civil rights period treated black people respectfully.

so your standard of liberty = "at least they're not slaves"...wow.

by modern progression I'm talking mainly about the enlightenment, actually...and the investment category that saudi arabia is maintaining at the moment is based on western technology

yes it is

Respect doesn't mean equal rights. They respect women, they don't make them into sex objects

No it isn't but liberty is freedom. all states are free to an extent, one could argue the US to not be entirely free for people as with any country

"western technology" is based on middle eastern advancement before, doesn't matter lol

Good argument

Original post by College_Dropout
I think a country which stones women to death for adultery, Even if she reports she is raped she would need 4 male witnesses, if she doesnt she would be admitting to having sex outside of marriage and therefore stones. Thats what I call good values to the fill barbaric extent.

They stone men for adultery too (or Islam does)

Do not blame Islam when it is men who have made mistakes implementing it
Reply 37

No, women and men have different personalities. My point is that I'll fall in love with my wife because of her personality not her looks, by extension I'll then be physically attracted to her.

That isn't how it actually works in reality though. A person's looks are completely intertwined with their personality. A body isn't a cage for the soul. Your body is you, and you are your body. Every single bit of it, whether you like it or not.

Sexual attraction is also an integral part of romantic love. You can't pretend it isn't. Love without sexual attraction is simply platonic. You may as well just get with a man, if you believe personality alone is enough to give you sexual urges.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Khallil
Appearance is easily modifiable. Can't what's inside change?

nop:dry:
Sexual attraction is an integral part of romantic love. You can't pretend it isn't. Love without sexual attraction is simply platonic. You may as well just marry a man.

im not gunna marry u kid.

Quick Reply

Latest