The Student Room Group

Guys, Would You Date a Single Mum?

Hey,

I'm just curious, would you date a single mum? See, Im 21 and have a 2 year old. I'm not going to date until at least a year or two into uni as that is my main focus right now and with a child I don't have time. But say in the future? Or would the fact that i'm a mum send you running? Haha :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh and i'd like to add that I'm more of an old fashioned girl and i'd rather be in a relationship before I sleep with someone as well. How would you take that?
Whats with all these single mamas asking these questions on tsr these days..
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Oh and i'd like to add that I'm more of an old fashioned girl and i'd rather be in a relationship before I sleep with someone as well. How would you take that?

Where's the father?
Reply 4
Original post by Sophsha
Where's the father?

Cheated on me and left he still see my daughter but doesn't has moved 7 hours away. x
Reply 5
It's certainly a complication in the dating game and even more so if the father is still around. But I would, as would plenty of other guys. Watch 'About a Boy' for the facts of the matter..
Hey,

I'm just curious, would you date a single mum? See, Im 21 and have a 2 year old. I'm not going to date until at least a year or two into uni as that is my main focus right now and with a child I don't have time. But say in the future? Or would the fact that i'm a mum send you running? Haha :smile:

A priori, I wouldn't unless you had some other impressive assets. Entering a relationship with a parent is complicated because if the relationship develops, at some point you will be expected to play some part in child-rearing even though you had no say in the decision of producing said child. Some people don't want to deal with child-related stuff until late in the relationship and dating a parent erases that option. So the way I see it, dating a parent is turned-off unless there is some serious chemistry.
Date? Maybe. Have a relationship with? Probably not, hardly enamoured with bringing up another man's child.
Reply 8
no
Reply 10
Simple answer is yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 11
If I got on with them and they cared for me as I cared for them it wouldn't matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 12

This is a positive for everyone, not just single Mums. Him living 7 hours away is also good, for some reason. Doubt you will have too much trouble finding love when you are ready. Would you contemplate a single Dad in the same boat? Some do exist.
Generally no but have sort of made an exception for 1 person.

Reasons for the exception:-

a) I have known her for a very long time, over 7 years now.
b) She is generally a good person and became a single parent through no fault of her own.
c) She has the finances to raise her child on her own without relying on me.
d) It is just 1 child and he isn't an infant or a baby.
e) She isn't expecting me to play "dad" for her child.
f) She isn't someone I otherwise wouldn't be involved with.
g) My own kids like and approve of her.
I suppose if I met one and liked her, perhaps. But right now, not when the child is very young, no. I don't like children and certainly don't want to bring up any of my own, much less someone else's. I think it's impossible to not end up becoming a fatherly figure if you're in a relationship with someone whose child is very young, and younger children restrict what you can do socially (I've had a girlfriend in the past whose cat affected whether we could go out, which was bad enough).

Once the child is secondary school age it's not so bad, they tend to lose the need for attachment, only then they get moody and annoying for 5 years instead.
Reply 15
Personally, nope. I don't see the point in bringing up someone else's children.
Extremely unlikely.
I don't understand what the issue is with bringing up another man's child? It's just a child for goodness sake! Hardly some fragile alien that needs 24/7 care, just screams of a lack of fatherly traits imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not seriously, no. I wouldn't want to be caught up who the baggage of a child. However if I met a single mum I wouldn't shy away from a ONS/**** buddy type situation
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I don't understand what the issue is with bringing up another man's child? It's just a child for goodness sake! Hardly some fragile alien that needs 24/7 care, just screams of a lack of fatherly traits imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's more just not feeling ready to do that sort of thing. I'm a 19 year old student, last thing I want to do is be a step-father type figure, hence why anything more than casual sex is off the table

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending