The Student Room Group

Any mature students do iGCSEs?

Hi I'm looking to go back to uni but need to sort my GCSEs first. As I work full time, I would like to do iGCSEs in 2015 and have read it can be a pain to find an exam centre. Has anyone had trouble going in as a mature student? I'm kinda worried places that accept external candidate won't want a 31 year old guy sitting in with a bunch of 15-16 year olds.

Any tips for finding centres easily? I need maths, English and biology (hopefully human biology if I can find a centre).
Hi,

I've found a list of exam centres that accept private candidates.

London Brookes College.

3A Tutors Ltd in Bristol.

David Game College in London.

Campbell Harris in London.

I'm sure there are many more, but those are the ones that I know of. Also, if you study GCSE/IGCSE with the National Extension College then they can arrange your exams for you, I think there is a fee though.

Hope this helps anyway
I did GCSEs in English and Maths and I've just done an iGCSE in French as a mature student. There are lists of schools/exam centres which take private candidates on the exam board websites but you could just as easily phone up schools and ask them.
My son sat his IGCSEs at 3A Tutors in Bristol and at Wessex Tutors in Southampton. Although most of the candidates are young, the centres are both small, so you won't be the only adult sitting in a hall full of 15/16 year olds. The downside is that they are quite expensive. Some schools may charge less.
Try the Tutorial Foundation in Bromley, takes anyone, kids who been kicked out school to middle age people. November sitting coming up too!
I took my maths this year at a local senior school. (I got the details from the exam centres list on edexcel website)
There was around 15 adults taking the exam with all the kids.
Make sure you shop around as there can be quite a different in the price. I paid around £80 for the exam as I self taught. I know places like Wessex tutors charge around £150.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending