The Student Room Group

Academic requirements to become a pilot (Recently finished GCSE's)

Hey, so I've recently finished GCSE's, and aspire to become a commercial airline pilot. Next year I'll be continuing maths, economics, history and English lit. Are these the correct subjects for this career, and if so what kind of grades will I need? If not, which do you recomend? Following this, what do most people do? A degree? Or do they go straight into training? I know it will differ from airline-to-airline, but just in general what is required? :smile:
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/airline_pilot_entry_requirements.htm

Conclusion: Might be useful to replace one of your A-levels with physics. You can do a degree, and it might even be recommended because you'll get to go to uni and it will help you stand out, but it's not essential. To become a pilot you do a special integrated course.
Original post by Tskadem
Hey, so I've recently finished GCSE's, and aspire to become a commercial airline pilot. Next year I'll be continuing maths, economics, history and English lit. Are these the correct subjects for this career, and if so what kind of grades will I need? If not, which do you recomend? Following this, what do most people do? A degree? Or do they go straight into training? I know it will differ from airline-to-airline, but just in general what is required? :smile:

Hi Tskadem,

There are no formal academic requirements to becoming a commercial airline pilot. Technically all you require is the appropriate licence.

If you head over to the Property, Construction, Transport and Logistics subforum in the Careers section you'll find a helpful FAQ entitled 'So you want to be an Airline Pilot'

Hope that helps!

S

Quick Reply

Latest