The Student Room Group

Discounts for students?

Hi, I'm starting University in a few weeks while living at home, I was just wondering what kind of cards or memberships I would need to save the maximum amount. I've also found out it will cost me £12.60 everyday to go and return from the Uni... anyway I can get this discounted as being used for educational purposes..

Any help appreciated thanks.
Reply 1
Get a Railcard. It costs £30 a year and it saves you a 1/3 on train fares. Also, an NUS card is great too. It offers student discounts for a lot of shops and online sites. It costs £11 a year, but you'll more than make up for it with the savings you'll make.
Reply 2
Back in my day Natwest used to offer a 5 year railcard for uni students. Gives you like 33% off. Dunno if it still available :ahee:
Railcards are great, but IIRC if you're travelling very early in the morning there's a £12 minimum fare, which isn't hugely helpful to you. You may like to work out the relative cost of commuting vs staying in halls - you may find that it's worth moving into halls.

In terms of student discounts, most places will accept your uni id, but some places require an NUS card. Examples of places that offer student discounts include Topshop, hairdressers, Superdrug, Office and New Look.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
Railcards are great, but IIRC if you're travelling very early in the morning there's a £12 minimum fare, which isn't hugely helpful to you. You may like to work out the relative cost of commuting vs staying in halls - you may find that it's worth moving into halls.

In terms of student discounts, most places will accept your uni id, but some places require an NUS card. Examples of places that offer student discounts include Topshop, hairdressers, Superdrug, Office and New Look.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Moving to halls isn't really an option at the moment, I've no idea what time I've got to be at the University, but thanks for your help
Reply 5
The other thing to consider if using the 16-25 railcard is that it is not valid for journeys before 10am on weekdays at least it wasn't last time I renewed jowever weekly/monthly/annual tickets may be worth looking into

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by jadpan
The other thing to consider if using the 16-25 railcard is that it is not valid for journeys before 10am on weekdays at least it wasn't last time I renewed jowever weekly/monthly/annual tickets may be worth looking into

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol then that'd be useless.. problem I'm having is if I lost a 3 month pass, anyway to replace it or am I buying a whole new pass again?
Original post by UniSonnCome
Hi, I'm starting University in a few weeks while living at home, I was just wondering what kind of cards or memberships I would need to save the maximum amount. I've also found out it will cost me £12.60 everyday to go and return from the Uni... anyway I can get this discounted as being used for educational purposes..

Any help appreciated thanks.

You have the maintenance loan to cover travel costs

Quick Reply

Latest