The Student Room Group

Uni for free??

Hi there

I left college in 2012 but during that year, I was looking at going to uni and went on a tour round University of Westminster. Whilst there, I was told that I could have no uni fees if I proved that I was estranged from my dad which I wasn't prepared to do (because my mum sadly passed away many years ago). I decided not to go to uni because of the sky high fees.

Now I am thinking about uni but I was wondering if there are any other ways I could get uni for free because of what has gone on in my life or will I have to have the fees.

Personally, the fees are way too high. Also, I had a cousin who had his course funded by the NHS.
What course would you want to study?
Reply 2
You do know you won't have to pay any fees back until you are earning over £21,000 if you're an EU student? Even then its a very little amount that is deducted out of your wage slip before you receive it.

It totally depends what you are wanting to do. Midwifery, Nursing, Physiotherapy and a few others are NHS funded. I won't have any tuition fees and will get a bursary off the NHS - I will be doing Midwifery. I will only have maintenance loans - living costs to be paid back.

No degree is 'free' as such, although there are scholarship schemes. Education comes with a price, but its worth it.
If you are studying nursing or medicine then there's a chance that it could be funded by the NHS, but it depends on your college A-Levels/BTEC if you get in.
Original post by spotlightpromedia
Hi there

I left college in 2012 but during that year, I was looking at going to uni and went on a tour round University of Westminster. Whilst there, I was told that I could have no uni fees if I proved that I was estranged from my dad which I wasn't prepared to do (because my mum sadly passed away many years ago). I decided not to go to uni because of the sky high fees.

Now I am thinking about uni but I was wondering if there are any other ways I could get uni for free because of what has gone on in my life or will I have to have the fees.

Personally, the fees are way too high. Also, I had a cousin who had his course funded by the NHS.

That's not true, if your estranged from your parents you get the full student finance package and possibly a fee discount but you wouldn't get fees for free. At the end of the day if you benefit from a university education you should pay for it and its not like you have to pay anything upfront.At the end of the day you only pay a manageable amount back once your earning £21,000 or more.

As you've pointed out NHS courses are free but they are the only exception.
Reply 5
I wouldn't recommend doing a nursing or a midwifery degree just because it's 'free'! To work in healthcare you need to be a caring compassionate person to start with, you need to want to do it.

They are both extremely difficult courses and you are expected to put the effort in as you will be working full time as well as having Uni work to do on top. Midwifery is also very competitive so you would need to work hard towards your application and be prepared to potentially apply several times before you got an offer.

x
Reply 6
Original post by Wozza1973
To work in healthcare you need to be a caring compassionate person to start with

x

How naive !
Get a job and get them to pay the fees for you. I'm finishing and apprenticeship and there's a very high possibility they will pay for the fees plus pay you at the same time. Beats coming out of Uni with £30,000 of debt.
Reply 8
Original post by Baldness
How naive !

Eh?
Original post by spotlightpromedia
Hi there

First medicine courses are not funded by the NHS and while there is some financial support for certain courses you are likely to need some extra money for them.

Secondly if you are 21 and can show you have supported yourself for 3 years funding will be based on your earnings, not your parents. If you are bright enough for Oxford and your father ( or you if over 21) have earned little you may get a free degree because of their generous bursaries, otherwise you may find an employer to sponsor you but that's pretty rare. Or a couple of American universities offer very good financial support but only to exceptional students. Fees are lower in some foreign universities that teach in English but you still have to pay living costs.

Advice here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/?tab=sect44
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending