The Student Room Group

Advanced or normal York Notes? Confused :/

Hey all,

So I'm looking into buying some revision guides for Dr Faustus, Othello, Wuthering Heights and the Color Purple. I found some that look good called York Notes, but they give you the option of regular AS/A2 level guides and an A level/ undergraduate guide? I'm not sure which one to get, I go into the lower sixth in September. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
They are the same guides with similar wording, but the as and a2 ones are the updated ones from 2012/2013 so they contain extra info such as advice for writing essays and topics split into their AO's. If your doing a levels i'd reccomend getting those as they re much clearer. However some titles haven't been updated yet so its ok to get the york notes advanced for those.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by WesterosWildling
They are the same guides with similar wording, but the as and a2 ones are the updated ones from 2012/2013 so they contain extra info such as advice for writing essays and topics split into their AO's. If your doing a levels i'd reccomend getting those as they re much clearer. However some titles haven't been updated yet so its ok to get the york notes advanced for those.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh thank you so much! That makes sense, I'll get the AS/A2 ones then :smile:
I agree with WesterosWildling, the York Notes for AS and A2 are the updated ones and I've found that they're a bit more detailed and include more explanations of quotations. But since some texts don't yet have the updated guides, the other guides are still useful and will definitely help you when studying your texts :smile:
Original post by Harriett7
Hey all,

So I'm looking into buying some revision guides for Dr Faustus, Othello, Wuthering Heights and the Color Purple. I found some that look good called York Notes, but they give you the option of regular AS/A2 level guides and an A level/ undergraduate guide? I'm not sure which one to get, I go into the lower sixth in September. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks!

I went into my A-levels thinking these were the best on the market. But they aren't even good. It is just full of chapter summaries. Hardly any analysis, and a few paragraphs, if that 1 paragraph on each character. Few paragraphs on setting, themes, and literary criticism. Also, in their analysis section it does have page references, but that becomes seriously annoying if you do not have the specific publication series of that text they were referring too. All it tells you is a general insight on what to look out for in the novel. Personally, it isn't worth the money.

However, some could beg to differ.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending