The Student Room Group

How much maths in computer science?

Hello guys,

I am thinking about taking a computer science degree but I am worried about the strong requirement for maths. I am currently deciding on my A level options (Economics, Maths, Physics and AS Business) but have been told many times that maths at A level is going to be really hard for an English minded person like me.

I was getting A's and A*'s in my past papers at GCSE but when the exam came along I was shocked by how many functional skills questions there were (which are my worst type as I hate basic maths). I checked my answers, at least the ones I could remember and it looks like I might get a B.

The more complex maths I really enjoy which still gives me hope about the idea of A level maths.

So how much maths will be used in computer science and give an example of a maths based area of the subject?
Reply 1
Quite simply, a lot. More than that it requires a certain kind of mathematically-minded person to get comfortable with the logic in CS, it is a mathematical science after all. Matrices, calculus, discrete maths, graphs, algebra, statistical analysis, set theory... there really isn't an area of CS where you won't run into some pretty complex maths. Don't let it put you off though; it's more applied than a maths degree as you should be able to see clear purposes of what you're doing.
Reply 2
I wouldn't worry about the maths too much, I have always been really really bad at maths but was able to get through the maths modules with moderately decent results, the only thing I really struggled with was algebra and truth tables but there is so many videos teaching this stuff on youtube it helped more than going to the lectures
Reply 3
So how important would an A level in maths be for CS?
Original post by BinaryJava
So how important would an A level in maths be for CS?
You are unlikely to get onto a CS degree without it. A-level maths is a pre-requisite usually to at least a grade B at A2.

Further maths is an advantage since this at least gives you an early start on the maths covered in the first year of the CS course. i.e. you will not be learning it for the first time when you start the degree and a lot will be revision together with application practice.
Reply 5
Original post by uberteknik
You are unlikely to get onto a CS degree without it. A-level maths is a pre-requisite usually to at least a grade B at A2.

This is only true for top 10-15 universities with exceptions, mind you. As long as you have something like Physics or Computing at A2, perfectly good universities like Birmingham would still consider you.
To give you an idea of what it is like at Edinburgh Uni, 20 credits out of 60 per semester are assigned to maths. So a third of our course in year 1 and year 2 is maths. After that, you don't have to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending