The Student Room Group

Medicine : A bit of a bind.

Doctors want to help people, a lot. I do not. I am a very introverted individual with poor social skills and a lack of empathy that scares myself on occasion. I am studying Maths, Physics, Computer Science and Economics and am probably dropping Economics for A2. I'm probably expecting 4As or 3 As and a B, you know the schtick. I pitched the idea to my mother yesterday that maybe I should go do AS again and try Chemistry Biology and Psychology. Because I just wanna see if I'd enjoy them. And if I screw up oh well, I'll just do physics which I love anyway. But she's always wanted me to be a doctor, to make her happy so she can vicariously live through me. I've never really cared about her emotions to be honest (reciprocating her disconcern with mine) and am too self interested to waste my one chance at life making someone else happy. So, I need to know guys, what could I do with a medical degree that I couldn't do without a Physics/Computer Science (IF13 ucas) degree? Additionally (and you'd be awesome if you answered this) do I come across as the kind of person who would sacrifice hours upon hours of their personal lives, with less pay than I should be getting, just for the care of my patients?
Original post by TadiwaM
Doctors want to help people, a lot. I do not. I am a very introverted individual with poor social skills and a lack of empathy that scares myself on occasion. I am studying Maths, Physics, Computer Science and Economics and am probably dropping Economics for A2. I'm probably expecting 4As or 3 As and a B, you know the schtick. I pitched the idea to my mother yesterday that maybe I should go do AS again and try Chemistry Biology and Psychology. Because I just wanna see if I'd enjoy them. And if I screw up oh well, I'll just do physics which I love anyway. But she's always wanted me to be a doctor, to make her happy so she can vicariously live through me. I've never really cared about her emotions to be honest (reciprocating her disconcern with mine) and am too self interested to waste my one chance at life making someone else happy. So, I need to know guys, what could I do with a medical degree that I couldn't do without a Physics/Computer Science (IF13 ucas) degree? Additionally (and you'd be awesome if you answered this) do I come across as the kind of person who would sacrifice hours upon hours of their personal lives, with less pay than I should be getting, just for the care of my patients?

You don't sound like the sort of person who would enjoy medicine and you certainly won't be a good doctor if you can't empathize with patients. You need to enjoy working with different kinds of people on a daily basis as weell as working long, stressful hours.

Do what YOU love to do as a degree and career NOT what your mum wants you to do. You will only succeed in a carer you are passionate about.
Do the degree you want to, not want your mum wants; you're the one who has to sit through classes. Also, if you're not really bothered about medicine it's a really competitive course and someone who is doing it for someone else instead of having a genuine interest is extremely unlikely to get past interview (they look for that kinda thing).

So, I think you should do the degree you want, because going back to retake different subjects is frankly a waste of time since (no offence) you don't seem to have the motivation to work for a med school offer IMO (which is totally not a bad thing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending