The Student Room Group

Ways in which men are oppressed in the UK.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rad_student
I think the point is that a Non Resident Parent's wages can be garnished before tax; but it is not the right of the NRP to see their child(ren). The original CSA was made, so men could be chased to pay, rather than the Govt.

What do you mean by this? It is my understanding that as long as it is in the interests of the child to see the NRP (and it is usually deemed to be so), the NRP can seek a court order concerning contact if they are unable to sort something out satisfactorily with the RP. I expect their options for enforcing this are fairly appalling if the RP is being a dick (and this certainly can happen), beyond going back to the court and getting the RP fined or similar, and eventually trying to get custody reversed, but I've been lurking on Mumsnet for the utter lols in some of the threads recently and saw someone say that the courts are actually very harsh when the RP is obstructing contact these days. Anyway, my main point: I'm fairly sure the NRP has every right to see their children. Failures in enforcing contact orders are not the same as the parent not having a right to see their children.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 101
Original post by Ronove
It is my understanding that as long as it is in the interests of the child to see the NRP ..., the NRP can seek a court order concerning contact... Anyway, my main point: I'm fairly sure the NRP has every right to see their children.

The right to apply for a court order (which, as you seem to know, can be ignored with impunity) to see ones own children is not the same as having a right to see ones children.

If you are unsure of that distinction on rights, try this fictional analogy: a polling booth denies entry to men but everyone considers that acceptable because those men have a right to apply to court to be allowed to access to vote (though the polling booth will not be forced to obey the court order). I don't think you would find anyone saying that this constitutes a 'right to vote'.

Therefore, the statement that it is not the right of a non-resident parent to see their child(ren) is accurate. It is a disgusting state of affairs in a society that can trace huge social problems down to that very issue.
(edited 9 years ago)
Has anybody mentioned the rape laws in the UK? According to the law, men are the only ones who can commit rape. Women can't.
Britain doesn't oppress anyone. If you think you are oppressed, move to Korea or somewhere and have a re-think.
Reply 104
Original post by Mackay
Britain doesn't oppress anyone. If you think you are oppressed, move to Korea or somewhere and have a re-think.

Just because it will be true to say that men are more oppressed in one country than another, does not make it incorrect to say that they are oppressed in both countries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending