The Student Room Group

Anyone the armed forces answer this/similar careers. ?

I probably wouldn't get I the navy (have chronic rhinitis and alopecia) I wouldn't pass the medical. Plus I wouldn't agree to the vaccinations (I developed autoimmune reaction/alopecia after the last one I had) so don't want to chance messing with my immune system. However I'm generally healthy and really enjoy keeping fit, working out and have quite a lot of strength for my size. I've always enjoyed challenge/adventure and have always wanted to do an assault course partly my reason for wanting to join the navy lol.

Im wondering what careers are there similar to the armed forces ?
Merchant Navy.
Reply 2
Original post by civilstudent
I probably wouldn't get I the navy (have chronic rhinitis and alopecia) I wouldn't pass the medical. Plus I wouldn't agree to the vaccinations (I developed autoimmune reaction/alopecia after the last one I had) so don't want to chance messing with my immune system. However I'm generally healthy and really enjoy keeping fit, working out and have quite a lot of strength for my size. I've always enjoyed challenge/adventure and have always wanted to do an assault course partly my reason for wanting to join the navy lol.

Im wondering what careers are there similar to the armed forces ?

Er, is this like one of those psychometric verbal reasoning tests, where you haven't got enough information to answer the question?

Sorry, mate I have absolutely no idea what you're after. There is no comparable employment type to the Armed Forces per se; however, there are hundreds of job titles within each service, all of which may have some equivalence in civvy street to a greater or lesser degree.

Can you rephrase your query, stating unambiguously your aspirations and what you want out of a job, and what you're interested in doing. With that information, you may get some relevant and considered answers.
I managed to glean that he/ she is medically unfit for any form of military service and would like to know of any alternatives... Since you were keen on the Navy I'm guessing you're after something maritime related so the Merchant Navy might be an option depending on their health requirements. However I doubt any employer would be comfortable sending you around the world, potentially in charge of something very expensive, if you've not got all your jabs.

Alopecia is one thing, albeit merely a cosmetic problem, but if you could have your jabs without the supposed autoimmune reaction then you might have a shot - no pun intended.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
If you want to do an assault course, go to Centre Parcs and do their high wires course.

If you want any job that involves the types of thing the Armed Forces get involved in, you'll have to travel all over the world and get all the relevant medications for dealing with that. If you're unwilling/unable to do that, then you won't get those jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest