The Student Room Group

criticise my physique.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Just_Need_To
To be honest mate, i'm 16 and my body looks like yours does. I have a slight 6 pack, I say slight because from the front you can't really see the 6 pack, but from a slight angle you can see it perfectly fine.

To whoever said he is tensing and you know that how? Because his veins are sticking out. I'm not saying you're wrong as he may be tensing, however my veins stick out alot but that's because I exercise alot and am generally skinny.

Also, people saying he needs to eat more, it may be easy for you to say that, but when you have a fast metabolism and the fat in't going where you want it to, let alone because of the exercise, the fat doesn't really build up, then it is quite hard.

You should lift and eat more. Trust me. I am 17 have a super high metabolism but i know for sure that i am not eating anywhere near enough. Hit the gym and lift heavy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
You should lift and eat more. Trust me. I am 17 have a super high metabolism but i know for sure that i am not eating anywhere near enough. Hit the gym and lift heavy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see what you mean, but no matter how much I eat, nothing adds on. I do too much exercise for me to increase the amount of fat on my body, but I can't sacrifice exercise as it is part of what I am doing.

You have any ideas?
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Deffo do stronglifts 5x5.
How much do you weigh and what is your goal weight

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by MattyR2895
Everything is lagging. If you have been lifting only a few months then this is normal, and lagging body parts should not be a concern. Your main concern should be getting stronger, progression, progression, progression. The size will follow.
Given that you haven't even posted your lifts, I going to go out on a limb and guess your not on any kind of well structured routine.
Stronglifts 5x5. Do it. Eat enough to gain at least a quarter pound a week, but ideally half a pound, and you'll be a big boy in no time.

I weigh 71kg and my ideal weight is around the 80kg mark.
What are the stronglifts 5x5 by the way? I have heard of them but can you post a article describing the routine in detail?
Original post by karmacrunch
Sorry no, I typed it wrong :tongue:

What did you think I was thinking? :redface:

I meant I only just got it now... (What you said) and I said yeesh because why were you looking? ("sock in boxers") :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by pinejuice
you dont love yourself. why make a thread inviting trolls to critique you?

No I do love myself and I am very self confident, it's just that I don't really have anyone to ask for muscle building tips.
Reply 24
Did you eat nothing at all? You won't gain muscle unless you intake enough daily protein and calories. Use this calculator to help you out: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
Original post by Anonymous
No I do love myself and I am very self confident, it's just that I don't really have anyone to ask for muscle building tips.

i kinda get where you are coming from now. good luck :smile:
Original post by Gherk
Did you eat nothing at all? You won't gain muscle unless you intake enough daily protein and calories. Use this calculator to help you out: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I actually eat quite a lot, it's just that before I started lifting I was just naturally very very skinny.
:facepalm:

Forgot about calories and start eating according to macronutrients requirements!
I weigh 71kg and my ideal weight is around the 80kg mark.
What are the stronglifts 5x5 by the way? I have heard of them but can you post a article describing the routine in detail?

Stronglifts is a routine aimed at beginners with a focus on progression. A simple google search will give you a lay out of the programme. There is also an app you can get if you just search stronglifts in to the app store or playstore. It's literally the simplest routine out there.
I actually eat quite a lot, it's just that before I started lifting I was just naturally very very skinny.

But do you gain weight? That's the most important question. Might feel as though you're eating a crap ton of food everyday, but you have to keep track of your weight to make sure you are actually gaining weight.
Also, ignore the guy saying to forget calories and to just focus on macronutrients. Yes macros play a part, but at your level, calories are the most important thing, namely getting enough of them.
Stronglifts is a routine aimed at beginners with a focus on progression. A simple google search will give you a lay out of the programme. There is also an app you can get if you just search stronglifts in to the app store or playstore. It's literally the simplest routine out there.

Yes I have found the website, thank you.
But do you gain weight? That's the most important question. Might feel as though you're eating a crap ton of food everyday, but you have to keep track of your weight to make sure you are actually gaining weight.
Also, ignore the guy saying to forget calories and to just focus on macronutrients. Yes macros play a part, but at your level, calories are the most important thing, namely getting enough of them.

Hmm no. I've studied sport science at university and I'm about to study my Masters in Sport Science as well.

Here's a little summary for you and the OP. Calorie is just a measurement of how much energy is required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius. However this can be applied to the macronutrients.

1 gram of protein is roughly 4 calories.
1 gram of carbohydrate is roughly 4 calories.
1 gram of fat is roughly 9 calories.

I said the OP needed to concentrate on macronutrients because he could be eating 3,000 calories a day but most of that could be fat.

If the OP is lifting then he should be aiming for 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per kg of body weight if he isn't already.
(edited 9 years ago)

Why'd you quote me with pinejuice? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why'd you quote me with pinejuice? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My bad, I realised after I pressed the submit reply button.
Original post by jay2013

Here's a little summary for you and the OP. Calorie is just a measurement of how much energy is required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius.

So it's a heat capacity.
My bad, I realised after I pressed the submit reply button.

Okay and also what did you think I meant? I'll edit my post now anyway so no one else misinterprets it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So it's a heat capacity.

Yes basically! :smile:
Okay and also what did you think I meant? I'll edit my post now anyway so no one else misinterprets it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am still unsure what you was talking about.
I am still unsure what you was talking about.

Oh okay! Don't worry then. You've done well though :smile:
Original post by jay2013
Hmm no. I've studied sport science at university and I'm about to study my Masters in Sport Science as well.

Here's a little summary for you and the OP. Calorie is just a measurement of how much energy is required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius. However this can be applied to the macronutrients.

1 gram of protein is roughly 4 calories.
1 gram of carbohydrate is roughly 4 calories.
1 gram of fat is roughly 9 calories.

I said the OP needed to concentrate on macronutrients because he could be eating 3,000 calories a day but most of that could be fat.

If the OP is lifting then he should be aiming for 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per kg of body weight if he isn't already.

Firstly, I don't really care about your qualifications.
Second, no offence to the op, but the dude looks like he could eat 4000 and still not gain weight. That's why I told him to keep track of his weight. However many calories he needs to gain weight, it's probably going to be a lot.
'He should be aiming for 1.5 to 2 grams of protein per kg of body weight'. Op says he weighs 71kg, that makes his protein requirements at least 107g. I highly doubt even a vegetarian would have trouble getting that provided they were eating even just 3000kcals a day, without counting calories. Hell, even plain pasta has 13g of protein per 100g, throw some chicken in with that and a glass of whole milk and he's pretty much there in just one meal.
As for your comment about fat, when I said just focus on calories, I did so assuming the op has the ability to use common sense. obviously don't condone him using kfc to get his calories everyday.
Cliffs:
you're over complicating it. Tracking calories will suffice for someone in op's position.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest