The Student Room Group

Why can't people reverse?

Has anyone noticed that loads of people are afraid of reversing or are crap at it?

I've noticed it more and more recently and I can no longer put it down to people having just passed their test because everyone I get in a car with has been passed for 4+ years.

In car parks there is a refusal to reverse in and instead they drive in despite it actually being harder to get right. Parallel parking is also a no no unless the space is a good three car lengths long. If they are put in a situation where there is no other option other than a reverse then it is always done in the most cautiously scared fashion possible. Even the more confident drivers I come across don't like to reverse.

Is it the way learners are taught these days? The more i think about it I only really learnt to reverse confidently because my dad forced me to and also my drive is at the back of my house along a narrow dirt track with an awkwardly placed wall so the only option is to reverse into it.

does this frustrate anyone else? do you even notice it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure but I hopefully wont be amongst those people when I get my car. My parents reverse into car park spaces and reverse into our driveway by habit (and the fact that it makes leaving off from these spots much more straightforward), so I'll be doing the same
Reply 2
I'm terrible at reversing. The thing is though...reversing isn't such a huge part of normal driving, it's not really that important. Not being very good at reversing isn't going to make you a bad driver, it just means you find it more difficult to park, that's it.
Reply 3
Stop judging people!!
Original post by blue n white army
Has anyone noticed that loads of people are afraid of reversing or are crap at it?

I've noticed it more and more recently and I can no longer put it down to people having just passed their test because everyone I get in a car with has been passed for 4+ years.

In car parks there is a refusal to reverse in and instead they drive in despite it actually being harder to get right. Parallel parking is also a no no unless the space is a good three car lengths long. If they are put in a situation where there is no other option other than a reverse then it is always done in the most cautiously scared fashion possible. Even the more confident drivers I come across don't like to reverse.

Is it the way learners are taught these days? The more i think about it I only really learnt to reverse confidently because my dad forced me to and also my drive is at the back of my house along a narrow dirt track with an awkwardly placed wall so the only option is to reverse into it.

does this frustrate anyone else? do you even notice it?

I can't parallel park for ****. I do reverse into bay parking though, much easier.

The problem is, when you parallel park in lessons, there's no car behind. In reality, you get spaces just a little bit bigger than your car. They should teach this on lessons
(edited 9 years ago)
Why is it your concern? Your mannerisms are awful

People reverse slowly because they don't want to ruin their car in a tight space

Its also less natural than forward facing

Also most people, myself included park forwards into a space, you can access the boot easier and its faster/quicker than reversing in
Original post by ChrisHarris1
Why is it your concern? Your mannerisms are awful

People reverse slowly because they don't want to ruin their car in a tight space

Its also less natural than forward facing

Also most people, myself included park forwards into a space, you can access the boot easier and its faster/quicker than reversing in

Because ultimately it leads to poor parking and poor parking makes it difficult for the rest of us.

Also i'd say its quicker to reverse park than driving in. If you reverse in you can get it right first time but when you drive in you have to either adjust it to get it in right or leave it poorly parked, so many car parks are too tight and narrow to get it right fist time when driving in.

When you walk round a car park and you see someone parked inconsiderately take a note of which way the car is facing and I bet you the majority drove in.
Rear visibility is poor in new cars.
Because ultimately it leads to poor parking and poor parking makes it difficult for the rest of us.

Also i'd say its quicker to reverse park than driving in. If you reverse in you can get it right first time but when you drive in you have to either adjust it to get it in right or leave it poorly parked, so many car parks are too tight and narrow to get it right fist time when driving in.

When you walk round a car park and you see someone parked inconsiderately take a note of which way the car is facing and I bet you the majority drove in.

Might I suggest you're not a good parker going forwards?

I rarely need to adjust going in forwards

I just returned from sainsburys, about 50 cars? All drove in

As camoxide said, visibility is better from the front

You can be a bad parker regardless of which way you go into the space
I always look for a drive thru space where I can just drive into and drive out of.

If that's not possible then I'll reverse in, easy to do and makes it much easier to drive out, especially when it's busy.

Haven't parallel parked for a while now (never needed to) but I think I can still do it. I know a lot of people drive into spaces but I always find it's harder to reverse out (you just have to move and hope everyone else stops, until you can actually see).
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
I can't parallel park for ****. I do reverse into bay parking though, much easier.

The problem is, when you parallel park in lessons, there's no car behind. In reality, you get spaces just a little bit bigger than your car. They should teach this on lessons

Doubt that's the case with every instructor. The more my driving improved, the tighter the space my instructor would give me when practicing reverse parking. Tbh, he should've been letting you practice in all kinds of spaces since it probably would've prepared you more for when you're driving alone
Original post by Runninground
I always look for a drive thru space where I can just drive into and drive out of.

If that's not possible then I'll reverse in, easy to do and makes it much easier to drive out, especially when it's busy.

Haven't parallel parked for a while now (never needed to) but I think I can still do it. I know a lot of people drive into spaces but I always find it's harder to reverse out (you just have to move and hope everyone else stops, until you can actually see).

Yeah I do the same if possible.

Also, you're right about reversing out. It's fine if you have a Mini on either side, but sometimes you get trapped in between a van and a huge SUV and can't see anything.

Original post by K-Nitro
Doubt that's the case with every instructor. The more my driving improved, the tighter the space my instructor would give me when practicing reverse parking. Tbh, he should've been letting you practice in all kinds of spaces since it probably would've prepared you more for when you're driving alone

Maybe it does depend on the instructor, but when you reverse parallel park on your test, it will always be a car on it's own with an imaginary car two car lengths behind.

What really annoys me is how people have massive drives but park on the street instead, meaning a lot of the time I have to parallel park outside my house (and it's even worse when you have to parallel park onto a raised kerb)

How can you prefer to spend a minute squeezing your car into a tight space than simply parking in your drive?
I have to admit reversing and parking is not one of my strong suits! I probably just need to spend a day practising.

I remember trying to find parking spaces on my lessons was never an easy task let alone trying to find spaces of various lengths and sizes. We would just end up in the our usual spots :sigh:
Original post by ChrisHarris1
Might I suggest you're not a good parker going forwards?

I rarely need to adjust going in forwards

I just returned from sainsburys, about 50 cars? All drove in

As camoxide said, visibility is better from the front

You can be a bad parker regardless of which way you go into the space

are you one of those people who drive in and think "done!" and leave the car in any old state?

I find that when driving in (not just me but others) then a little bit of straightening up is required unless youre in a reasonably sized car park.

Also yes visibility is better from the front so surely you want to have the best visibility when coming out of the parking bay into potential traffic/ pedestrians. when reversing in you know that there is no traffic to watch out for and your mirrors do a good job of telling you where the car either side of you is.
Reply 14
I tend to just drive in to a parking space, looking at the lines as I approach and then knowing where they are in relation to my cars extremities. Never really thought about it much but perhaps more and more people have poor spatial awareness these days if they cannot do that and make a tidy job of it.

I could reverse in all the same, after all, mirrors make the job easy enough, but it's just as easy to drive in.

I did learn parallel parking during lessons, but in my 5 years of driving I could count on one hand how often I've had to.
I always reverse into a parking space. My dad taught me to do it that way, so I've stuck with it. Parallel parking is more difficult. I'm a pretty confident driver, but in all honesty, I don't like doing that much. Three car lengths is a bit excessive, though. One and a half is enough. I won't try and squeeze into a tiny spot. I will just park further away.
are you one of those people who drive in and think "done!" and leave the car in any old state?

I find that when driving in (not just me but others) then a little bit of straightening up is required unless youre in a reasonably sized car park.

Also yes visibility is better from the front so surely you want to have the best visibility when coming out of the parking bay into potential traffic/ pedestrians. when reversing in you know that there is no traffic to watch out for and your mirrors do a good job of telling you where the car either side of you is.

I suggest you work on your social skills as well as forward parking

It's perfectly possible to park in parallel with the lines without adjusting

You seem overly biased towards your own view, your responses suggest you have a serious problem

Frankly I don't care which way you park in, some find it easier forward than reverse

If you need a minor correction, so what?

You attribute bad parking just on one factor, ignoring all other factors
Original post by NathanW18
I always reverse into a parking space. My dad taught me to do it that way, so I've stuck with it. Parallel parking is more difficult. I'm a pretty confident driver, but in all honesty, I don't like doing that much. Three car lengths is a bit excessive, though. One and a half is enough. I won't try and squeeze into a tiny spot. I will just park further away.

One and a half?! Pah! This is a pretty standard space for me

I've managed smaller than that too. Living in a city with very limited street parking leaves you without many options.
Original post by Nuffles
One and a half?! Pah! This is a pretty standard space for me

I've managed smaller than that too. Living in a city with very limited street parking leaves you without many options.

Yeah, I would never attempt to reverse into a space that small. I don't live in a city, so it's possible to find a decent sized space somewhere. I also don't want anybody to hit my car. Getting into a tiny spot like that is just asking for someone to reverse into your car, while trying to get out.
Reply 19
If you're at a supermarket it's not a good idea to reverse in since you'll likely want to open your boot or tailgate to get your shopping in...

Mind you, I do appreciate where the OP is coming from... there's been plenty of occasions where I've come face to face with someone down a single width road and the person coming the other way is too retarded to back up 10 feet.
It makes it particularly awkward when you're towing a trailer as I often am these days!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest