The Student Room Group

Ever been refused a student discount?

Despite having ID?

I have. I was trying to buy a pair of girlie 7s Jeans, and the shop people said they weren't for me, so I couldn't. I argued the toss that it was irrelevant. Anything bought on a student discount might not be for the person purchasing; but they weren't having it.
I didn't have an NUS card, and so some places refused my uni ID which was rather annoying, but apart from that, no.
Reply 2
I was 44 when I started my degree - trying to get a student discount for anything was a lost cause.

There was one local bus driver who insisted that student fares were only for under-18s. When I tried to point out that uni students were all 18 or over and that I was using a uni bus discount card which was issued by his bus company specifically for uni students, on an approved uni bus route, he refused to let me on the bus. I wasn't rude about it, just confused. But if he ever saw me at the bus stop on my own after that, he just used to drive past me.

I was nearly thrown off a train for travelling on a discounted student ticket, even though I had a valid student railcard and my student ID. I was only saved when the train attendant decided to contact his office to "put me straight"' and they put him straight instead.
(edited 9 years ago)
A few times. English Heritage refused it at Scarborough Castle, because my university was too far away and apparently they only give student discount if you live locally.

I've had "you're not local" a few times, but a tourist destination refusing to take it was probably the strangest.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
A guy at the Apple store in Regent's St was a bit funny with me when I was buying a new computer with my student discount. I showed him my NUS card but he asked me to log into my uni website to prove I was a student. After I'd done that he said that people were using fake cards to claim for discounts so he had to make sure I was legit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The shops around Newcastle always accept our uni IDs and they also accepted my college ID back when I was in sixth form.

I even got my mam to go for McDonalds for me the other week and I wanted the free cheeseburger that you get with the NUS card. She said she went through the drive through and told them she had the NUS card for the cheeseburger and they give it to her without even checking it! She could have just been making it up!

Original post by Klix88
I was 44 when I started my degree - trying to get a student discount for anything was a lost cause.

There was one local bus driver who insisted that student fares were only for under-18s. When I tried to point out that uni students were all 18 or over and that I was using a uni bus discount card which was issued by his bus company specifically for uni students, on an approved uni bus route, he refused to let me on the bus. I wasn't rude about it, just confused. But if he ever saw me at the bus stop on my own after that, he just used to drive past me.

I was nearly thrown off a train for travelling on a discounted student ticket, even though I had a valid student railcard and my student ID. I was only saved when the train attendant decided to contact his office to "put me straight"' and they put him straight instead.

This is ridiculous and age discriminatory!

Do you not have an ID badge from your uni (or a library card) that you could use to prove you are a student?
Reply 6
Original post by rayquaza17

This is ridiculous and age discriminatory!

Do you not have an ID badge from your uni (or a library card) that you could use to prove you are a student?

Yes, I always showed my uni's official ID card when I tried to get discount. It has the uni logo, my photo, student ID number, student status and expiry date on it. It's just that some people think that student discounts have an age cutoff. They accept that I'm a student but don't believe that I qualify for discounts due to my age.

TBH I've stopped fighting it. I'm now a 50 year old MPhil student - still entitled to student discounts - and it's just not worth the bother. The bus thing seems to have sorted itself out, as the driver I had a problem with left and the rest are fine about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending