The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

What is queen mary university like as itself?

I am planning on applying for queen mary university for computer science for 2015, so I was wondering what the uni is like in terms of campus, location, location in london, the student life, clubbing, prices, food prices etc!

Cus im sorta struggling on choosing between royal holloway and queen mary university. I heard from people that royal holloway is more of a secluded kind of uni and qm is more like integrated within the city of London. Also, i would like to be close to my sister because she is gonna be living with her bf in kensington london, how far away is it by like train or subway from qm to kensington approximately? Is queen mary like campus based or are the accommodations far away from the uni itself, im planning on studying computer science.
What kind of feeling does qm bring to u, is the uni like modern buildings or quite classic countryside feel to it?
Reply 1
Run from this place.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Sapient
Run from this place.

why?
Reply 3
Original post by scaphrax
why?

Ignore the troll, QM has a very high student satisfaction rate, it's above the national average.

QM is in the East End so very lively, Royal Holloway looks nice but too secluded for my taste.
Reply 4
I wouldn't say that QM is integrated into the City, it's in the East End and the area isn't really that nice (Mile End). I think there's accommodation on the campus if I remember correctly. The buildings are a mix of old and modern and they even have a graveyard in the middle of their campus :dontknow:

It's nothing like the countryside lol, it's in inner city London. Kensington is on the opposite side (West), so about 30/40 minutes journey by tube. Hope this helps!

Edit: Nightlife is decent, Shoreditch is nearby which is pretty lively I'd say and it's not at all difficult to travel into Central for a night out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by PC2852
Ignore the troll, QM has a very high student satisfaction rate, it's above the national average.

QM is in the East End so very lively, Royal Holloway looks nice but too secluded for my taste.

I'm not a troll, QM is a TERRIBLE uni. I'm not talking about the nightlife or the campus and area, I am talking about the quality of education at QM, which is absolutely dreadful.
Original post by Sapient
I'm not a troll, QM is a TERRIBLE uni. I'm not talking about the nightlife or the campus and area, I am talking about the quality of education at QM, which is absolutely dreadful.

Each to their own. I haven't heard much about QMUL itself but Barts has very high standards.
Original post by Sapient

You are unequivocally a troll. Have a look at how QMUL performs in the NSS: it's not just Barts that get good scores.
Reply 8
Original post by GrahamRodney
You are unequivocally a troll. Have a look at how QMUL performs in the NSS: it's not just Barts that get good scores.

I am not even trolling, why would I waste my time.

I am trying to prevent people going to this awful uni.
Original post by Sapient

You can't just say something is crap without an explanation.

Which Uni did you go to before Queen Mary?

Why haven't you transferred then if it's so bad?

Your opinion is not reflected in the rankings nor international opinion.
Reply 10
Original post by nohaynada
You can't just say something is crap without an explanation.

Which Uni did you go to before Queen Mary?

Why haven't you transferred then if it's so bad?

Your opinion is not reflected in the rankings nor international opinion.

I have stated my opinion many times in other threads, check through my previous posts if you want to see it, I have also explained many times in PMs exactly why it's so bad.

Who said I went to any university before QM? And do you know how hard it is to transfer? Most places make you retake the year, costing another £9000, if that was an option I would have done it.

Ask other students directly, don't just rely on aggregate data. When you come to QM and you see that it is bad, remember that I warned you.
Original post by Sapient

Then you are obviously failing. Applications are well up on last year. Perhaps, in addition to being a troll, you might also be wrong :smile:
Original post by Sapient
I have stated my opinion many times in other threads, check through my previous posts if you want to see it, I have also explained many times in PMs exactly why it's so bad.

Who said I went to any university before QM? And do you know how hard it is to transfer? Most places make you retake the year, costing another £9000, if that was an option I would have done it.

Ask other students directly, don't just rely on aggregate data. When you come to QM and you see that it is bad, remember that I warned you.

And I'm just supposed to follow every thread you have posted in?

All you've been saying is that the education is bad, how is it bad? How can you say it's bad if you have nothing to compare it to which is why I asked which Uni you were at previously.

I wasn't even talking about the data, on Twitter, on Tumblr, on TSR 99% of people have said positive things. Queen Mary is not a bad University, that's an idiotic generalization from ONE person. Not one Uni in the world is perfect, but for you to say your experience, which you haven't even told us about, trump's above everyone else's is idiotic.

Bye.
Original post by Nehemia
I wouldn't say that QM is integrated into the City, it's in the East End and the area isn't really that nice (Mile End). I think there's accommodation on the campus if I remember correctly. The buildings are a mix of old and modern and they even have a graveyard in the middle of their campus :dontknow:

Two graveyards actually. They're both very well maintained and peaceful (especially the second one which no one knows about) and something of a talking point.

Also, the "mile" in Mile End refers to the fact that it's a mile away from the boundaries of the City of London. That sounds pretty integrated to me.
Reply 14
Original post by Democracy
Two graveyards actually. They're both very well maintained and peaceful (especially the second one which no one knows about) and something of a talking point.

Also, the "mile" in Mile End refers to the fact that it's a mile away from the boundaries of the City of London. That sounds pretty integrated to me.

I know why it's called Mile End.

And exactly. Somewhere like KCL is well integrated as it's practically a stone's throw from Central London. To travel into the city from Mile End can end up being pretty costly as you have to get the tube/bus and Oyster Card fairs aren't exactly cheap :rolleyes:
Original post by Nehemia
I know why it's called Mile End.

And exactly. Somewhere like KCL is well integrated as it's practically a stone's throw from Central London. To travel into the city from Mile End can end up being pretty costly as you have to get the tube/bus and Oyster Card fairs aren't exactly cheap :rolleyes:

R u avin a giggle m8? As I've just told you, it's a mile away from the City i.e. it's a 15 minute walk from Mile End to Aldgate, so wtf are you on? Or when you wrote "City" four days ago, did you in fact mean the West End?

You can't get more central than the City of London - look it up on a map if you don't believe me, it's directly in the middle of London.
Reply 16
Original post by Democracy
R u avin a giggle m8? As I've just told you, it's a mile away from the City i.e. it's a 15 minute walk from Mile End to Aldgate, so wtf are you on? Or when you wrote "City" four days ago, did you in fact mean the West End?

You can't get more central than the City of London - look it up on a map if you don't believe me, it's directly in the middle of London.

I should have differentiated between 'City' and 'city'. I wasn't referring to the Square Mile.

Apologies if misunderstood.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending