The Student Room Group

GEM

Heyo,
What would you say is a degree worth doing if I have to go for GEM?

I'm aware it's incredibly competitive so I'm most likely not going to get in. As such, it'd be nice to do a degree with good job prospects in of itself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by keromedic
Heyo,
What would you say is a degree worth doing if I have to go for GEM?

I'm aware it's incredibly competitive so I'm most likely not going to get in. As such, it'd be nice to do a degree with good job prospects in of itself.

You'll be able to apply to a wider range of GEPs if you do a life sciences degree, but I think the first question is what are you interested in and can stand doing for 3 years?
Original post by Democracy
You'll be able to apply to a wider range of GEPs if you do a life sciences degree, but I think the first question is what are you interested in and can stand doing for 3 years?

Thanks Democracy.

I checked the guide. It seems there's sufficient universities that allow you to do an alternative degree that it'd be worthwhile doing something I prefer.

Do you know whether certain degrees are viewed with disfavour?
Thanks Democracy.

I checked the guide. It seems there's sufficient universities that allow you to do an alternative degree that it'd be worthwhile doing something I prefer.

A fair few unis don't even care what degree you have. But as democracy said some places require life sciences. The degree requirement is literally a tick box exercise in gem as they want to see good old life experience and commitment to medicine from other aspects. My course is 50/50 science to non science and you can't really tell who did what now before medicine (i'm in the non science group)
Original post by lcsurfer
A fair few unis don't even care what degree you have. But as democracy said some places require life sciences. The degree requirement is literally a tick box exercise in gem as they want to see good old life experience and commitment to medicine from other aspects. My course is 50/50 science to non science and you can't really tell who did what now before medicine (i'm in the non science group)

Oh I know. I checked the TSR guide :smile:. At least 5 say they don't care.
But sometimes official statements don't always reflect reality which is why I asked.

Thanks! I really appreciate your post :smile:.

Not as far as I'm aware - if they say any degree is acceptable then that's what they mean. And if they say they want a science degree, that's what they're looking for. They won't differentiate between applicants e.g. in the latter case, an applicant with a biology degree won't have an advantage over an applicant with a physics degree.

Quick Reply

Latest