The Student Room Group

should university be free but harder to get into?

University and ploys used to be free but harder to get into and fewer people went. Now almost everyone can go,some with low A level grades studying joke degrees.

Would people want much tougher entry requirements say minimum bcc but no tuition fees. This would mean a lot fewer students and probably fewer unis and degree courses. The upside is degrees will gain the respect they once had with employers and the public.

Scroll to see replies

Much tougher entry requirements.. suggests BCC.

/thread
Reply 2
What you mean is - can we please have a time machine back to 1985?

A levels much harder. O levels much harder. Standard offers BBB-BCC. No fees. Actually got given free money.

Students still complained.
Original post by Abdul-Karim

/thread

I see your point, but at the moment all you need is a bus ticket.
when my Nan told me that degrees used to be free i thought she was pulling my leg.
Original post by nimrodstower
I see your point, but at the moment all you need is a bus ticket.

Not entirely sure what that connotes?
I think, although it's true that many people go to university just because "that's what you do these days", it'd always be a struggle to get any tightening of entry requirements past the social mobility folks, given the huge impact of socioeconomic factors upon A level grades.

It's difficult to draw a line which couldn't be interpreted as a limit on poor people going into further education.

And even these 'joke courses' you refer to, what makes them joke courses? Lack of historic academic reputation? Most of the 'joke' courses I hear about are far more real world useful than anyone gives them credit for, and far more useful than some of the archaic 'academic' courses.

University should be paid for, I think, and remain easily-accessible.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
You mean to say that there are universities that have entry requirements that are lower than BCC?
Not entirely sure what that connotes?

It's harder to get an apprenticeship, than a place at Uni. This desire to get people into higher education, is a nonsense. The Government should concentrate on getting young people into a working environment first, those who want a university education should have at least one "A" in a relevant subject, and at least a "C" in English. Like most Apprenticeships require.

I also think that those who do get a degree, should have their fees returned to them. It would only benefit the UK.
Reply 9
Original post by Mutleybm1996
A-levels are much harder these days
Those offers were for the 'joke' degrees
The rest is true though and we should wipe out the 'joke' degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile

No they weren't. You're making that up.

O-levels in the 80s were around the standard of A-levels now. A-levels were much harder.

The BBB type offers were for most courses at most universities. ABB (and lower) for medicine was not uncommon. The standard offer for all courses at UCL used to be CCC. If you passed the Oxford exam, you could get in with EE,
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maker
University and ploys used to be free but harder to get into and fewer people went. Now almost everyone can go,some with low A level grades studying joke degrees.

Would people want much tougher entry requirements say minimum bcc but no tuition fees. This would mean a lot fewer students and probably fewer unis and degree courses. The upside is degrees will gain the respect they once had with employers and the public.

BCC is pretty low...
yes, all courses should have compulsory interviews (once your personal statement has been selected as 'standing out' / being very good) , particular tests one needs to take according to what your studying e.g. aptitude tests or some kind of performance tests etc if your doing a course like drama, and much much more. There should be loads of things people have to do to show just how committed to the course they are, how hard they are willing to work to get on that course and prove why they are the best candidate for the position on that course.

Even if you're not applying for a course which is super academic there should still be testing which goes beyond getting the grades and writing a very good personal statement.
Reply 12
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
BCC is pretty low...

That is an example, you could make it AAA if you want.
Reply 13

/thread
BCC is pretty low...

You two obviously have no idea what sort of grades you can get into university with at the moment. Let me give you a glimpse of what "easy" really is: you don't even need 3 A Levels for some unis.

On topic: I'd welcome hard work being rewarded, certainly. I actually want to go back to uni to do another undergrad degree, but the new fees just make that impossible. So I'm a bit biased. I suppose I don't mind there being a fee, but £9,000 a year is frankly ridiculous.

I've met some very stupid people at university who definitely shouldn't be there. But the unis will be happy to take people when they get £27k per head, obviously.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
BCC is pretty low...

The point is - it shouldn't be. A-levels should be of such a standard that an average student gets CCC and a good student gets ABB. AAA should only be possible for absolutely exceptional students. Maybe one or two per year group.
I hate that going to university has become the norm. It takes away the value for those who have actually worked hard to get there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
A-levels are much harder these days
Those offers were for the 'joke' degrees

Nonsense
Original post by russellsteapot
I think, although it's true that many people go to university just because "that's what you do these days", it'd always be a struggle to get any tightening of entry requirements past the social mobility folks, given the huge impact of socioeconomic factors upon A level grades.

It's difficult to draw a line which couldn't be interpreted as a limit on poor people going into further education.

And even these 'joke courses' you refer to, what makes them joke courses? Lack of historic academic reputation? Most of the 'joke' courses I hear about are far more real world useful than anyone gives them credit for, and far more useful than some of the archaic 'academic' courses.

University should be paid for, I think, and remain easily-accessible.

This. I struggled at school and 6th form insanely. It was only when I was 17-18 I really managed to take control of my own schooling; which was previously as you said determined mostly by extraneous factors.

There are very few 'joke courses' (which is a very unfair term generally); as they simply wouldn't survive if they show no results. A degree is a degree in my opinion; albeit some providing more transferable skills than others. So I agree with that point you made too.
I know someone who got into university for geography with DDE and this isn't even a joke course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clip
The point is - it shouldn't be. A-levels should be of such a standard that an average student gets CCC and a good student gets ABB. AAA should only be possible for absolutely exceptional students. Maybe one or two per year group.

What do you mean by "average" student

Do you mean
>a student with average ability considering the full spectrum
>or do you mean the average A Level student
>or do you mean the average ability of a student who is actually capable of taking a serious A level course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending