The Student Room Group

Ask an A-Level Student

Hello,

I have just finished my A-Levels.
I would be happy to answer any questions you have about a-levels, revision, tips, specific subject questions and sixth form/college life.

The AS subjects I took were: Biology, Geography, History, Psychology, Critical Thinking
The A2 subjects I took were: Geography (EDEXCEL) , History (EDEXCEL), Psychology (AQA A)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have quite a few questions (Sorry):
How did you find AS Biology?
How did you keep onto of everything?
Did you revise everything and go over it the same day you had learnt it in class?
How did you organise your notes?
Is the jump from AS to A2 bigger than the jump from GCSE to AS?
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by J C
I have quite a few questions (Sorry):
How did you find AS Biology?
How did you keep onto of everything?
Did you revise everything and go over it the same day you had learnt it in class?
How did you organise your notes?
Is the jump from AS to A2 bigger than the jump from GCSE to AS?
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, that's ok, I don't mind answering them :smile:

I found AS biology hard to understand. This might have been because of the teaching (we went through everything too quickly), or it might have been that I closed my mind to the subject after I found it difficult. Of course, you might find it alright - its just personal experience. Maybe it was the fact that I only did additional science and not the separate sciences that left me at a disadvantage. Don't let me put you off though.

To be honest, it is hard to keep on top of everything all the time, especially when you have coursework and homework deadlines all around the same time. When revising its best not to look at a subject as one whole block but to break it up into chunks, that way what you need to know doesn't feel so intimidating.

I don't think I ever revised over something the day I learnt it at school. I should have done though, and recommend that you do, as in the end it will just make revision a whole lot easier.

At AS I had books for most of my subjects so I just stuck sheets in them. My notes did get a little unorganised (especially for biology!). As for A2, I had folders. I found these better than books as you could move paper around and you know everything is in one place.

There is definitely a jump from GCSE to AS, but for some subjects there did seem to be a much bigger jump from AS to A2 (for example, Geography).

I hope that answers your questions. Do feel free to ask me anything else. What subjects are you taking for AS?
Reply 3
Im taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and PE, but im unsure about PE because i think its a bit of a waste of time :erm:

I did triple science for GCSE so that might help me a tiny bit with Biology, hopefully...:mmm:

And im hoping i'll have motivation to go over everything that i learnt the same day, but i can tell now i'll probably last a week doing that yhen get bored :sigh:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by J C
Im taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and PE, but im unsure about PE because i think its a bit of a waste of time :erm:

I did triple science for GCSE so that might help me a tiny bit with Biology, hopefully...:mmm:

And im hoping i'll have motivation to go over everything that i learnt the same day, but i can tell now i'll probably last a week doing that yhen get bored :sigh:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you'll be fine with biology.
And with all your subjects, my advice is NOT TO GIVE UP :h:
Reply 5
Original post by girlygiggle
I'm sure you'll be fine with biology.
And with all your subjects, my advice is NOT TO GIVE UP :h:

Haha thank you!:biggrin:
Reply 6
Hello, thank you soo much for taking the time to answe questions and help us "newbees" out :P
So i have my fair share of questions (apologies in advance)
1.) When did you start revising?
2.) how did you revise?
3.) how did you cope?
4.) most important piece of advice?
5.) how did you file the work?
6.) how long did you revise for?
7.) what was the most diffcult change?

Sorry for the amount of questions and thank you again :smile:
I'm studying Biology, History, Philosophy and English Literature with a hope of going on to do History or Anglo-Saxon Norse and Celtic at Cambridge.

1) What exam board were you on for Biology?
2) How did you find the coursework element? (practicals)
3) What was homework like for History and Biology?
4) How difficult was the transition?
5) When should you begin revision?
6) Do you think some pre-AS study preparation is useful?
7) What's the difference you experience between GCSE and AS Level?
8) Transition from AS to A2?
9) How did you choose which subject to drop?

Sorry for all of the questions but seeing as you offered :wink:!
Original post by J C

Posted from TSR Mobile

triple science actually helps more with chemistry
Reply 9
Original post by RandomStudent97
triple science actually helps more with chemistry

Thats good because I struggle more with chemistry, is the maths part of chemistry very difficult?
Original post by Zoelle
Hello, thank you soo much for taking the time to answe questions and help us "newbees" out :P
So i have my fair share of questions (apologies in advance)
1.) When did you start revising?
2.) how did you revise?
3.) how did you cope?
4.) most important piece of advice?
5.) how did you file the work?
6.) how long did you revise for?
7.) what was the most diffcult change?

Sorry for the amount of questions and thank you again :smile:

That's ok :smile:

I started around the Easter break (so March/April time)

At AS, I just wrote notes (which usually weren't very well summarised!) Even if I had notes in my exercise book, I tended to just refer to the textbook and start from scratch, if that makes sense? At A2, I was a bit more creative with my revision, by making mindmaps that were colour coded.

It is hard when a lot of deadlines are around the same time, so it is likely that you will become stressed at some point, but don't worry!; if you think of a subject not being one big block of information and break it up into chunks, you will manage that little bit better, and always ask your teachers if you feel under pressure - they are there to help and know you best :smile:

My most important piece of advice would be "Never Give up" - it is all worth it in the end with the results achieved!

I had a folder for each subject with past papers and revision notes usually kept at the back.

I revised for about 4/5 hours a day, but this did increase as exams edged closer.

The most difficult change was probably the way in which exam boards expect you to answer questions in a more improved, advanced way than GCSE, so there is a step up, but I would say there is a bigger gap between AS and A2, than GCSE and AS.

Let me know if you need anymore help or if something is not clear. What subjects are you taking/thinking of taking for AS?
Original post by JayJay-C19
I'm studying Biology, History, Philosophy and English Literature with a hope of going on to do History or Anglo-Saxon Norse and Celtic at Cambridge.

1) What exam board were you on for Biology?
2) How did you find the coursework element? (practicals)
3) What was homework like for History and Biology?
4) How difficult was the transition?
5) When should you begin revision?
6) Do you think some pre-AS study preparation is useful?
7) What's the difference you experience between GCSE and AS Level?
8) Transition from AS to A2?
9) How did you choose which subject to drop?

Sorry for all of the questions but seeing as you offered :wink:!

Don't worry about the number of questions :smile:

I did OCR. What exam board are you?

The coursework was tricky - there was quite a lot to do and think about - but if you have some practice sessions before, it should be ok.

Biology homework varied, although it mainly consisted of answering questions from the textbook and filling in sheets. History homework was usually very long, with many practice essays having to be written and writing out notes from the textbook. However, I think that with history a lot of essay writing was needed as this is how they assess you in the exam - it definitely helped as technique is really important. Obviously, the homework set depends on your teachers.

The transition wasn't too bad. Most subjects eased you into A-level nicely. However, I found biology hard and felt that it would have been better if I had done triple science at GCSE in order to be fully prepared.

I guess you should start revision as soon as possible and it may help to read ahead, but I didn't start revising properly until March/April.

Referring to Q4, looking back now, preparation will be useful for biology, especially if you haven't done triple science. It really depends on the subjects, but I would suggest at least looking at the specification.

At AS, it seemed like they required you to write in a slightly more advanced style than GCSE.

This all depends on the subjects, but I found there to be a bigger gap, because in my subjects you can't really build on what you learnt before - its just new information. In exams, the questions are usually worth more marks.

I dropped Biology because it was my lowest grade and I found the subject least interesting.

Hope this helped :h:
Hello,

I would be happy to answer any questions you have about a-levels, revision, tips, specific subject questions and sixth form/college life.

The AS subjects I took were: Biology, Geography, History, Psychology, Critical Thinking
The A2 subjects I took were: Geography (EDEXCEL) , History (EDEXCEL), Psychology (AQA A)

I spot that you did Edexcel for History! What topics did you do for AS/A2 and have you got any tips for history (exams and in general)? :smile:
Original post by Gorwell
I spot that you did Edexcel for History! What topics did you do for AS/A2 and have you got any tips for history (exams and in general)? :smile:

I can't remember the exact names for the topics we did at AS, but I do remember learning about suffragettes and the change in women's votes and status, and mao and stalin, if that means anything?

At A2, I did Option B for Unit 3 (Politics, Protest and Revolution).

For history, just make sure you link back to the question at the end of every paragraph (make it easy for the examiner to spot), give a balanced conclusion and make sure you put lots of evidence in your answers. Write lots of practice essays too! :smile:
Reply 14
what are your tips for studying and in-class working throughout the year?
Anything in particular I should do in class, or buy?
Any tips for organisation or techniques to keep things fresh?
Don't worry about the number of questions :smile:

I did OCR. What exam board are you?

The coursework was tricky - there was quite a lot to do and think about - but if you have some practice sessions before, it should be ok.

Biology homework varied, although it mainly consisted of answering questions from the textbook and filling in sheets. History homework was usually very long, with many practice essays having to be written and writing out notes from the textbook. However, I think that with history a lot of essay writing was needed as this is how they assess you in the exam - it definitely helped as technique is really important. Obviously, the homework set depends on your teachers.

The transition wasn't too bad. Most subjects eased you into A-level nicely. However, I found biology hard and felt that it would have been better if I had done triple science at GCSE in order to be fully prepared.

I guess you should start revision as soon as possible and it may help to read ahead, but I didn't start revising properly until March/April.

Referring to Q4, looking back now, preparation will be useful for biology, especially if you haven't done triple science. It really depends on the subjects, but I would suggest at least looking at the specification.

At AS, it seemed like they required you to write in a slightly more advanced style than GCSE.

This all depends on the subjects, but I found there to be a bigger gap, because in my subjects you can't really build on what you learnt before - its just new information. In exams, the questions are usually worth more marks.

I dropped Biology because it was my lowest grade and I found the subject least interesting.

Hope this helped :h:

I am on OCR too! Thank you, this helped SO much x
Original post by JayJay-C19
I am on OCR too! Thank you, this helped SO much x

You're welcome:h:
Hello,

How did you find history? I was curious due to the fact I was planning to do triple science and maths for A levels but hate physics with a passion! So I either have a choice of doing French or history because I done them for GCSE so obviously I have those options for a level however if I can't do either I will have to do physics :frown: Therefore I would like to know your fully detailed reply on what exam board you think is easiest (if you know),, is here overdrive on how much you need to remember, is the mark scheme harsh, what you done ect

Original post by Gunni098
How did you find history? I was curious due to the fact I was planning to do triple science and maths for A levels but hate physics with a passion! So I either have a choice of doing French or history because I done them for GCSE so obviously I have those options for a level however if I can't do either I will have to do physics :frown: Therefore I would like to know your fully detailed reply on what exam board you think is easiest (if you know),, is here overdrive on how much you need to remember, is the mark scheme harsh, what you done ect

Hello,

What exam board would you be doing if you took history? I did Edexcel and there are a number of different options that schools can pick to teach from the specification. I don't know about the other exam boards unfortunately, but I guess I could give a little bit of an insight into what History at A-level was like for me...

AS At AS I remember studying Stalin, Mao and Votes for Women (I can't remember the exact topic name). The Stalin and Mao topics were a little boring and uninteresting, whereas I really enjoyed the women topic. I find that enjoyable topics are much easier to remember.
A2 At A2 I studied Politics, Protest and Revolution for Unit 3 (which included learning about Napoleon and Louis 16th). And Unit 4, was coursework where we had to write 4,000 words (split into 2 parts) on American Civil Rights - we could pick a topic of our choosing in this area and had to find lots of secondary and primary sources to use as part of it. The coursework element was very stressful, but interesting and worthwhile.

There is a lot to know in history (as there is with all A-level subjects), but if you revise a little bit at a time it isn't that bad. Its not like all 4 units are in one exam.
I wouldn't say the mark scheme is harsh, although they do expect a lot.
However, saying this, there is a certain technique in the essays which, if you use, will help you to get in one of the top bands. When writing a history essay, its sort of like a recipe - you just have to remember all of the things you have to include - if that makes sense? And practicing really helps too.

I hope that this helps in your decision but obviously people have different experiences of subjects and what they enjoy so I suggest looking at the specification for your exam board before you decide :smile:
Hello,

What exam board would you be doing if you took history? I did Edexcel and there are a number of different options that schools can pick to teach from the specification. I don't know about the other exam boards unfortunately, but I guess I could give a little bit of an insight into what History at A-level was like for me...

AS At AS I remember studying Stalin, Mao and Votes for Women (I can't remember the exact topic name). The Stalin and Mao topics were a little boring and uninteresting, whereas I really enjoyed the women topic. I find that enjoyable topics are much easier to remember.
A2 At A2 I studied Politics, Protest and Revolution for Unit 3 (which included learning about Napoleon and Louis 16th). And Unit 4, was coursework where we had to write 4,000 words (split into 2 parts) on American Civil Rights - we could pick a topic of our choosing in this area and had to find lots of secondary and primary sources to use as part of it. The coursework element was very stressful, but interesting and worthwhile.

There is a lot to know in history (as there is with all A-level subjects), but if you revise a little bit at a time it isn't that bad. Its not like all 4 units are in one exam.
I wouldn't say the mark scheme is harsh, although they do expect a lot.
However, saying this, there is a certain technique in the essays which, if you use, will help you to get in one of the top bands. When writing a history essay, its sort of like a recipe - you just have to remember all of the things you have to include - if that makes sense? And practicing really helps too.

I hope that this helps in your decision but obviously people have different experiences of subjects and what they enjoy so I suggest looking at the specification for your exam board before you decide :smile:

I had a look at the sixth form I am applying to and he exam board is OCR :frown: ,the topics are different to yours but thanks for giving me an insight anyway! It was helpful in case my application messes up I have a back up plan for another sixth form with the edexcel exam board! And would you say it is somewhat similar writing essays with a technique being similar to GCSE with what you said? And yes I done painstaking hours of research in some topics which limited it down to the option choice of history/French/physics and thank you for the information :smile: (what I think would also help me is if I post a thread too!)

Quick Reply

Latest