The Student Room Group

What can one do with a non-qualifying Law Degree

Hi all,

Managed to graduate with a first class honours.

Not clear what my options are, anyone else taken this route?

Was unsure whether I wanted to pursue being a solicitor or barrister so opted for more interesting law modules rather than the dry compulsory ones.

First off can I get a job in a legal role with a LLB Law (non-qualifying)?

Secondly if I choose to pursue law, can I just complete only the modules I missed? (having completed contract law, torts etc during my degree)

Has anyone got any advice or what careers would be ideal otherwise?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by Meow-wow
Hi all,

Managed to graduate with a first class honours.

Not clear what my options are, anyone else taken this route?

Was unsure whether I wanted to pursue being a solicitor or barrister so opted for more interesting law modules rather than the dry compulsory ones.

First off can I get a job in a legal role with a LLB Law (non-qualifying)?

Secondly if I choose to pursue law, can I just complete only the modules I missed? (having completed contract law, torts etc during my degree)

Has anyone got any advice or what careers would be ideal otherwise?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If you wanted a job that required a QLD [Solicitor or Barrister, etc] then you would need to complete the GDL, unfortunately. As far as I am aware, you aren't able to just take the modules you haven't got, but obviously having already achieved 70%+ in those modules would just mean that you would be in good stead to ace the GDL, having more time to focus on the modules you haven't got.

Otherwise, you would just have an excellent degree and could go on to do loads: finance [eg investment banking], accountancy, civil service fast track, management, and any other grad scheme that just stipulates a degree!
I'm pretty sure that with the GDL you can actually miss some modules if you've already done them- don't hold me to that because it's not something I've looked into myself, but I'm sure I read it somewhere and I think on the lawcabs application thing there was a section where you could put in subjects you were exempt from.
Reply 3
Thee is provision in the SRA/BSB Academic Stage handbook for exemptions to be granted from CPE/GDL subjects on the basis of having already passed university examinations in the same. You would need to speak to your proposed CPE/GDL provider in advance of applying about e arrangements that might apply to you, and perhaps also, out of an abundance of caution, to the SRA/BSB too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
For the GDL, you can claim a minimum of four exemptions. One of these exemptions may be from the 'other area of law' requirement (most GDLs require a research paper in the extra area of law). So, if you have studied at least three of the following, exemptions should be possible:

Tort
Contract
EU
Public
Criminal
Equity/Trust
Land

You could also consider completing CILEx. I don't think you could do the law graduate route but would still get many exemptions and careful course choice could mean you meet the academic requirements to become a solicitor later on. If you tell me which of the seven subjects above you have studied before, I may be able to help further.
Reply 5
Apologies, only just clocked your comment.

Studied Tort (& further Torts), Contract and Criminal.

Any thoughts?

Appreciate the help

Original post by AW1983
For the GDL, you can claim a minimum of four exemptions. One of these exemptions may be from the 'other area of law' requirement (most GDLs require a research paper in the extra area of law). So, if you have studied at least three of the following, exemptions should be possible:

Tort
Contract
EU
Public
Criminal
Equity/Trust
Land

You could also consider completing CILEx. I don't think you could do the law graduate route but would still get many exemptions and careful course choice could mean you meet the academic requirements to become a solicitor later on. If you tell me which of the seven subjects above you have studied before, I may be able to help further.
Reply 6
Have you studied any other areas of law not on the list above? If you have, you can claim the four exemptions (3 core plus the one extra area). If you haven't, you're not eligible for any exemptions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending