The Student Room Group

Smart shoes for a female medical student

Hi girls,

I was wondering if any of you have advice when it comes to shoes for wards. I feel a bit self conscious making a thread about this - I'm asking in the med student forum as it ideally needs to be med students replying as they will know about the dress code and the long periods of standing/walking around!

What do you do about footwear/where do you buy it?

Seriously considering buying a pair of girls lace up school shoes, as in the last 4 years of med school the most comfy and long lasting pair of shoes I've had are the school shoes I've had since high school - now I just whip them out for OSCEs as they still look smart, but the interior is falling apart so they are less comfortable and I need something new.

More info, if it helps:

I find it hard to find ballet pump style shoes that fit/are comfortable for the whole day. We can't really get away with trainers where I have been on placement.

I'm not the most fashionable of people - generally wearing basic black/grey work trousers with a pretty top so really need to be fairly simple and black shoes.

The last 2 pairs I bought were clarks bar shoes and lasted less than a year. [I have an annual search for decent shoes]

I'm going into final year so will be on the ward pretty much all day everyday.

i tend to wear brogue style shoes, not cheapo ones, i'm quite happy to spend a decent amount of money for a good pair of real leather shoes with a thick, cushioned sole. i have a pair in black and one in brown, and I'm contemplating getting a brown pair with a small heel on them. i generally get my shoes from office or schuh. i find they look very smart, so i wouldn't be out of place wearing them, they're very comfy so i can be on my feet all day, they last a good couple of years and black + brown go with pretty much all my clothes :h: i find it hard wearing ballet pumps too because i have very wide, flat feet so i don't think they have enough support for what i need.
Reply 2
I found the Debenhams Good for your Sole range more comfortable than the average ballet flats, as they do have some padding/support. Clarks shoes are variable - I have had some which were super comfy and lasted for years, and others which have been less hardy.

If you're wearing dark trousers a lot of the time, tbh you can probably get away with wearing black trainers, I've done this before and still do if I'm ever in scrubs but not theatre shoes for any reason.
Reply 3
Original post by TheRabbit

You mentioned bad experiences from Clarks, but I upgraded from crappy Forever 21/Primark/New Look shoes to Clarks brogues this year. My feet are ridiculously grateful! They have cushioned soles and they fit perfectly.
My mum is a nurse so she knows the pain of ward rounds and she swears by sketchers
http://www.schuh.co.uk/womens-black-skechers-go-walk-everyday/1914047070/
Reply 5
Thanks for all the replies, will have a focussed trip in to town and see what I come up with - I think its getting over the pain of parting with a reasonable sum of money for something for work!

With clarks, I have comfortable shoes but they seem to warp or fall apart after about 6-9 months, which when you are spending money on a getting a proper pair of shoes rather than just cheapo ballet pumps or something is a bit annoying.

Re black trainers - I might get away with them, but not all the time, would just depend who was on the ward. One of the junior docs I met last year seemed to have an endless supply of different coloured sand shoes to go with different trouser shirt combos...
Try looking for school shoes that use a velcro closure - I find them much more comfy
I think I've just trained my feet for crappy ballet pumps or something, but you should try the pumps at M&S. Unlike most, they tend to have slightly more developed/padded soles and be a bit more sturdy. Not all of them but if you sort through, you should come across some, I've had some very enduring ones from there, and of course they come with a cheaper price tag.
I swear by my hush puppies. So comfy and though I've had them 4 years, I still get complimented on them. Over the years I've acquired them in brown, purple and black to go with all outfits and they don't feel like school shoes so I'm happy wearing them as casual too.
I wore converse all my three years of clinical. I thought at some point someone surely would object but no one did!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'm a size 9 so struggle a lot - but recently have invested in a pair of Hush Puppies. I'm also used to awful New Look shoes but these new ones are the most comfortable thing ever, with a decent sole so should last me a while...
I absolutely *swear* by my pair of leather sketchers- comfy even on the longest days, not exactly fashionable but not ridicilously frumpy either, and they last an age :smile:
Original post by TheRabbit
Hi girls,

I was wondering if any of you have advice when it comes to shoes for wards. I feel a bit self conscious making a thread about this - I'm asking in the med student forum as it ideally needs to be med students replying as they will know about the dress code and the long periods of standing/walking around!

What do you do about footwear/where do you buy it?

Seriously considering buying a pair of girls lace up school shoes, as in the last 4 years of med school the most comfy and long lasting pair of shoes I've had are the school shoes I've had since high school - now I just whip them out for OSCEs as they still look smart, but the interior is falling apart so they are less comfortable and I need something new.

More info, if it helps:

I find it hard to find ballet pump style shoes that fit/are comfortable for the whole day. We can't really get away with trainers where I have been on placement.

I'm not the most fashionable of people - generally wearing basic black/grey work trousers with a pretty top so really need to be fairly simple and black shoes.

The last 2 pairs I bought were clarks bar shoes and lasted less than a year. [I have an annual search for decent shoes]

I'm going into final year so will be on the ward pretty much all day everyday.

These two pairs of new shoes attached would look great:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending