The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Mathematics and/with Economics

Hey guys,

Couldn't find a similar thread so I thought I'll start my own. Any others starting this course in 2014? :biggrin:

And anyone currently studying this course as I'd love to get a head start over the summer as I am bored out of my fricking mind!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ff96
Hey guys,

Couldn't find a similar thread so I thought I'll start my own. Any others starting this course in 2014? :biggrin:

And anyone currently studying this course as I'd love to get a head start over the summer as I am bored out of my fricking mind!!!

Preparation really isn't necessary, I remember feeling the same as you before I started (studying economics).

If you really wanted to be keen, you could take a look at some of the S2/3/4 material from your further maths modules if you did them as well as any work done on matrices and basic calculus/differential equations for the maths and stats side. Economics on the other hand is really a whole new ball game at degree level apart from very basic micro so I wouldn't recommend much in the way of preparation via A level work.

Other than that, read the textbooks if you want to buy them (although come term time you may find they aren't all that useful and you can get by just fine with the lecture notes and you've wasted £100+).
(edited 9 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Outsanity
Preparation really isn't necessary, I remember feeling the same as you before I started (studying economics).

If you really wanted to be keen, you could take a look at some of the S2/3/4 material from your further maths modules if you did them as well as any work done on matrices and basic calculus/differential equations for the maths and stats side. Economics on the other hand is really a whole new ball game at degree level apart from very basic micro so I wouldn't recommend much in the way of preparation via A level work.

Other than that, read the textbooks if you want to buy them (although come term time you may find they aren't all that useful and you can get by just fine with the lecture notes and you've wasted £100+).

Hey there, thanks for the reply :biggrin: I've studied s2,3 and 4 all during my A2 as well as economics so I've got all the basic knowledge. Is there anything that I could look over, i.e. FP3 as I didn't take this module or any economics stuff?
Original post by Ff96
Hey there, thanks for the reply :biggrin: I've studied s2,3 and 4 all during my A2 as well as economics so I've got all the basic knowledge. Is there anything that I could look over, i.e. FP3 as I didn't take this module or any economics stuff?

With S2/3/4 you'll be in pretty good stead for ST102, I only did up to S2 but others who had done more were familiar with a lot more of the first year material.

I can't really remember what's in FP1/FP2/FP3 apart from matrices (which are a big part of MA100) as I did it a few years back. There's not much advanced trig in the calculus half of MA100, differential and difference equations would suffice I'd say, maybe Taylor approximations and equations in 3+ co-ordinates as well.

The structure of EC102 has changed since I did it a couple of years ago, I think it's a bit simpler now but what I would say is you can ignore most of the macro you learnt at A level, hardly any of it is relevant to degree level study or unrealistically simplified as you'll see.

Again though, I ended up doing no prep work before I started at LSE and I was fine, so don't put too much pressure on yourself, make sure you enjoy what could be a potentially last *truly* obligation free summer :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Outsanity
With S2/3/4 you'll be in pretty good stead for ST102, I only did up to S2 but others who had done more were familiar with a lot more of the first year material.

I can't really remember what's in FP1/FP2/FP3 apart from matrices (which are a big part of MA100) as I did it a few years back. There's not much advanced trig in the calculus half of MA100, differential and difference equations would suffice I'd say, maybe Taylor approximations and equations in 3+ co-ordinates as well.

The structure of EC102 has changed since I did it a couple of years ago, I think it's a bit simpler now but what I would say is you can ignore most of the macro you learnt at A level, hardly any of it is relevant to degree level study or unrealistically simplified as you'll see.

Again though, I ended up doing no prep work before I started at LSE and I was fine, so don't put too much pressure on yourself, make sure you enjoy what could be a potentially last *truly* obligation free summer :tongue:

Thanks a lot for that! I am feeling a bit at peace now (results day is getting closer :frown:) and yes couldn't agree more about this being my last summer LOL! Best of luck to you :smile:
Do you apply for this course with an Economics personal statement or a Mathematics one??
Reply 6
Original post by Kolasinac138
Do you apply for this course with an Economics personal statement or a Mathematics one??

My personal statement was generally based around maths but I had a lengthy paragraph on economics :smile:
Original post by Ff96
My personal statement was generally based around maths but I had a lengthy paragraph on economics :smile:

I see. I was considering applying because in the LSE open day the tutor said that many offers are made for AS FM. I only have 'AS FM' (don't do A-levels) and not full A2 so I can't apply to any other maths+econ courses but this one. Not sure how to get around it.
Reply 8
I see. I was considering applying because in the LSE open day the tutor said that many offers are made for AS FM. I only have 'AS FM' (don't do A-levels) and not full A2 so I can't apply to any other maths+econ courses but this one. Not sure how to get around it.

Yes they've made the AS FM a requirement now, last year it wasn't necessary on their site although it was wanted. Wait, so if you're not doing a levels, what are you doing? Having AS FM is enough to apply anywhere else ... But depends on what else you're studying?
Original post by Ff96
Yes they've made the AS FM a requirement now, last year it wasn't necessary on their site although it was wanted. Wait, so if you're not doing a levels, what are you doing? Having AS FM is enough to apply anywhere else ... But depends on what else you're studying?

PreU
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello! Do u guys know whether it is okay to apply for both Maths&Econ and Maths with Econ?? I'm now struggling if I should put both these two courses in my UCAS.
Reply 11
PreU
So I have Maths, Economics, Physics and something called "Further Pure Mathematics". I emailed admissions tutors in UCL and Imperial and they told me that I'd need FM.

What other unis offer this course?

All those subject areas are very good, and they want the whole a level don't they. Is what you're doing adequate in place of a level fm? Well from my knowledge, UCL, LSE, Exeter, Bristol, Queen Mary (where I applied) and several other out of London universities
Original post by Ff96
All those subject areas are very good, and they want the whole a level don't they. Is what you're doing adequate in place of a level fm? Well from my knowledge, UCL, LSE, Exeter, Bristol, Queen Mary (where I applied) and several other out of London universities

No :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
No :frown:

Weird, I know a few people who got into LSE Maths +Econ with only AS FM, but UCL requires A2.

UCL have very high requirements for their maths and econ course, A* in both maths and fm! Hardly any unis ask for the double A* ugh
Original post by Ff96
UCL have very high requirements for their maths and econ course, A* in both maths and fm! Hardly any unis ask for the double A* ugh

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
I might apply for LSE twice for Econ and then Maths+Econ

That's all well but it's not good to apply to the same university for different courses, as it makes you seem indecisive and unsure, which is off putting for the admission tutors :/
Original post by Ff96
That's all well but it's not good to apply to the same university for different courses, as it makes you seem indecisive and unsure, which is off putting for the admission tutors :/

Ah :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Ah :frown:

maybe it's possible to switch in after the first year?

Cos it's LSE, I doubt that's possible, especially as Economics is their most popular course. However I know that maths and economics & maths with economics are identical in the first year and you can switch to the other in the second year regardless of what you originally applied for
Original post by Ff96
Cos it's LSE, I doubt that's possible, especially as Economics is their most popular course. However I know that maths and economics & maths with economics are identical in the first year and you can switch to the other in the second year regardless of what you originally applied for

That's what I meant. :confused:
Reply 19
That's what I meant. :confused:

Sorry! I thought you meant switch from pure econ to maths & econ D:

Quick Reply