The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

royal holloway or queen mary?

im torn between the two universities. i have offers from both for management courses.

i am in love with the building of royal holloway. that is a university that i would want to be in. but many people have said that it is way too secluded and cut off. i also heard that RH has more campus life but close to zero night life. the location of QM i love, but i hate the fact that the buildings are so scattered. also, RH has brilliant spacious accommodation, whereas QM accommodation isn't that great and they don't have any shared dorms and i would have preferred living with a roomie. I'm not really into much nightlife either as i don't drink.

is anyone doing the above courses from either of the universities and can help me? i really don't know what to do. there are pros in cons in both. if the vital shops are on or close to campus i don't really mind RH being so cut off. QM also has a better reputation and many people say they haven't even heard of RH but in the world rankings RH is 102 and QM is 1120 or something.

PLEASE HELPPPP
Reply 1
Well my friend goes to RH and she absolutely loves it. My other friend went QM and he loved it too. Why don't you go and check both out?
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by caseystonner
im torn between the two universities. i have offers from both for management courses.

i am in love with the building of royal holloway. that is a university that i would want to be in. but many people have said that it is way too secluded and cut off. i also heard that RH has more campus life but close to zero night life. the location of QM i love, but i hate the fact that the buildings are so scattered. also, RH has brilliant spacious accommodation, whereas QM accommodation isn't that great and they don't have any shared dorms and i would have preferred living with a roomie. I'm not really into much nightlife either as i don't drink.

is anyone doing the above courses from either of the universities and can help me? i really don't know what to do. there are pros in cons in both. if the vital shops are on or close to campus i don't really mind RH being so cut off. QM also has a better reputation and many people say they haven't even heard of RH but in the world rankings RH is 102 and QM is 1120 or something.

PLEASE HELPPPP

Do you want nightlife or not? Holloway is hardly a hub of nightclubs (not that there isn't any evening activity whatsoever- there's plenty to do, including plenty of opportunities to go out and get drunk) but you yourself said that you aren't much into nightlife, so it sounds like Holloway would suit you.

Most of what you need is on campus at Holloway, though for shopping there's only a convenience store, so you'll need to pop into town for a broader selection (or to Staines for some real shopping). But most other amenities are on site, meaning that it is possible to stay on campus for extended periods of time without having to leave.

Does QM have a better reputation? I'd argue that they're pretty much at level pegging. Perhaps more people have heard of QM overall, but I'd say employers look at them similarly. However, I can't comment on your course, and that's definitely worth considering, so perhaps someone who knows about management at either or both universities can give you more information. At a personal level, do you prefer one course over the other? If there are some big differences then again, that's worth considering.

Ultimately, it's up to you as to whether or not Holloway is too secluded. Some people love the campus life, others prefer a more city-based university. It's not the case that one is necessarily 'better' than the other, but again, it's a personal preference. I like campuses which is why I went for Holloway, but I know many who would have (and did) hate living in such a bubble, so it's not for everyone.
Original post by caseystonner

PLEASE HELPPPP

I really want to go and study at Royal Holloway next year, and I've been to visit a couple of times and I know more than a handful of people that have gone there and loved it. The main building, Founders, is gorgeous, and every person I spoke to seemed friendly. The accommodation is amazing, and relatively low cost judging by the fact that you are only 40 minutes at most from London by train. You don't have the grey fast paced city life, which I would have had if I had chosen KCL, another one of my offers; instead you live on a gorgeous green campus and are known by name as it's a tight knit community. I have been told that Queen Mary is on the rougher side of London, but tbh I don't really know if that's true? One of my friends also studies at Queen Mary, and she went mostly because of the name as it is considered a 'russell group' uni; and she has told me she regrets it as 'London life' wasn't for her. I don't really see Royal Holloway as secluded, as it's close not only to London but Windsor and Reading... and you have the smaller town of Egham close by which has all your vital shops etc, as well as quiet pubs not clubs- which might be good for you as you're not a big drinker. I know I'm not taking management, but hopefully this will help you?
I really don't understand why RHUL has a reputation for being dull or having a bad 'night-life"'. Look, if you're defining the latter as going to clubs then RHUL is average. I mean its not London, however there are loads of nice pubs around and closeby. More importantly, because we're not in the heart of London, most people have proper student houses, not small dingy 'apartments', which makes for ****ing awesome house parties. Who needs the best bloody clubs to have fun, we're students, its not like we have the money to even go to them.
Is the difference between Royal Holloway and Queen Mary, basically the nightlife?
Original post by AgnesGrey1
Is the difference between Royal Holloway and Queen Mary, basically the nightlife?

No. They have different campuses, different locations, different courses on offer, different strengths and weaknesses with regards to certain departments...Although there are some similarities, they are quite different universities.
Both are as good as each other. But I would go for RHUL. Royal Holloway has a well-established and good reputation. It is one of the oldest universities in the country, and the third college to join the University of London in 1900. Like most universities it has various departmental strengths. Based on international rankings that don't bias the less science and engineering focused universities (Times Higher Education), Royal Holloway ranks is currently ranked 17th in the UK, 36th in Europe, and 118th in the world. It has a world-class campus and a world-class library currently in construction.

https://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/royal-holloway-university-of-london?ranking-dataset=1083
Reply 8
i applied to both (for a different course to you) and was faced with the same decision - the only way i could decide was by visiting both, then i found i loved the atmosphere to qm more
i would say go to taster days if they do them (where they have taster lectures and stuff) which really helped me decide!
also look at the modules offered in all 3 years, one might have modules you prefer, and you wouldnt want to be stuck doing a module you hated when you had the choice
really only you can decide, based on which you prefer good luck!

Latest