The Student Room Group

The 2.1 requirement is a joke

I'm looking through graduate roles and a bunch of them require a 2.1 and wont even let you apply without one. What makes this so bad is that they often don't specify what you need a 2.1 in, just any degree.

I got a 2.2 in MORSE at Warwick. I looked at a graduate role for Fujitsu- 2.1 degree and 240 UCAS points from 3 A-Levels. I have 400 UCAS points from 3 A-Levels.

Why is the system so broken? I'm not going to pretend like I performed well at Uni, but don't mock me with these ridiculously low A-Level requirements and then say 2.1 in ANYTHING.

Scroll to see replies

Get over it and just apply elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What you did 3 years ago isn't going to bother a company as much as what you did at uni studying since then. Not getting a 2:1 has limited your options but there are still jobs out there.

They are not mocking you. You seem to think you are better than what you are. Someone who got at least 2 A*s at a-level with high aspirations should have got a 2:1 fairly easily. As you said, you didn't perform and that has set you back. But you are the only one to blame, not companies you are trying to apply to.
A 2.2 in MORSE at Warwick is fantastic in anyone's book. Unfortunately recruiters (some lazily) set a 2.1 as a cut off as there is no other way to manage the thousands of responses and/or it is deemed a good measure of suitability. There are many other recruiters out there who appreciate a 2.1 isn't the be all and end all but you may have to try harder to find them. PS. I got a 2.2
What's MORSE? Could you maybe do a masters in a relevant area? Or what about SMEs - have you looked at them? Often, they're less focused on arbitrary academic points than the big employers that receive many dozens of applications for every position.

It's not impossible to find employment with a 2:2, particularly if it's in a subject that can be quite relevant to industry. Quite a few people from my course (engineering) secured well paying jobs upon graduate with 2:2 degrees. You've just got to accept that you won't go straight into the big, household names and instead focus on the less obvious companies. Fire off speculative applications and network.
Reply 5
I got a first but can't apply for a lot of jobs because I only have 280 UCAS points. That's just how it goes, I'm afraid.
Original post by Smack
What's MORSE? Could you maybe do a masters in a relevant area? Or what about SMEs - have you looked at them? Often, they're less focused on arbitrary academic points than the big employers that receive many dozens of applications for every position.

It's not impossible to find employment with a 2:2, particularly if it's in a subject that can be quite relevant to industry. Quite a few people from my course (engineering) secured well paying jobs upon graduate with 2:2 degrees. You've just got to accept that you won't go straight into the big, household names and instead focus on the less obvious companies. Fire off speculative applications and network.

Maths Operational Research Statistics and Economics
Reply 7
A talk given to me by a lady working in HR for BP explained to me why they no longer care what you got in your A-Levels, she said they aren't a very good representation of capability and their studies showed no links between good job performance and good A-Level grades, they also found if someone is going to have a blip in their education, A-Levels is the most likely point. Your degree performance is your most recent, and most challenging piece of education so surely they should be more concerned with this, I understand that this is an unfortunate fact for you, but if you really think about it, it makes sense... I'm sure you can find work, you will just have to reach out to any contacts you have or seek work at smaller firms.
Original post by xDave-
I got a first but can't apply for a lot of jobs because I only have 280 UCAS points. That's just how it goes, I'm afraid.

I graduated top of my year but didn't do A-Levels. Feel your pain :lol:
Original post by mikebrown1
What you did 3 years ago isn't going to bother a company as much as what you did at uni studying since then. Not getting a 2:1 has limited your options but there are still jobs out there.

They are not mocking you. You seem to think you are better than what you are. Someone who got at least 2 A*s at a-level with high aspirations should have got a 2:1 fairly easily. As you said, you didn't perform and that has set you back. But you are the only one to blame, not companies you are trying to apply to.

Warwick is a top university though and they will probably only let in great candidates with good A Level grades into a course like MORSE and yet a lot don't pass so getting a 2:2 from a very good Russell Group University course is actually not that bad, definitely as good if not better than a 2:1 from an average/lowly ranked university.

Do employers not set adjustments of the 2:1 to adjust for how easy that subject is/how highly ranked the university is? because if not then that is ridiculous if you got a 2:1 in a lowly ranked university with a rubbish subject then you wouldn't be a suitable, by a long shot.
Reply 10
Original post by juiceboxy
I'm looking through graduate roles and a bunch of them require a 2.1 and wont even let you apply without one. What makes this so bad is that they often don't specify what you need a 2.1 in, just any degree.

I got a 2.2 in MORSE at Warwick. I looked at a graduate role for Fujitsu- 2.1 degree and 240 UCAS points from 3 A-Levels. I have 400 UCAS points from 3 A-Levels.

Why is the system so broken? I'm not going to pretend like I performed well at Uni, but don't mock me with these ridiculously low A-Level requirements and then say 2.1 in ANYTHING.

Just because it says 2:1 does not mean you cannot press submit. IF you don't try......
Reply 11
Original post by Dalek1099
Warwick is a top university though and they will probably only let in great candidates with good A Level grades into a course like MORSE and yet a lot don't pass so getting a 2:2 from a very good Russell Group University course is actually not that bad, definitely as good if not better than a 2:1 from an average/lowly ranked university.

Do employers not set adjustments of the 2:1 to adjust for how easy that subject is/how highly ranked the university is? because if not then that is ridiculous if you got a 2:1 in a lowly ranked university with a rubbish subject then you wouldn't be a suitable, by a long shot.

:facepalm:

typical TSR
Original post by a10
:facepalm:

typical TSR

It is true though how can a course accepting grades of A*AA not have like a 99% 1st rate and you can say the opposite for courses accepting low amounts of UCAS points for 2 A Levels(how can it have anything above 1% 1st rate)-there is some possibility for outliers students who really struggle at university/don't do the work despite being clever and vice versa which shouldn't account for more than 1%.

The fact that generally grades are reasonably consistent between universities and there aren't massive pass rates at the best unis and massive fail rates at the worst universities, despite their being a massive difference in the ability of the students admitted to their courses shows that their course can't be close to the same difficulty-I don't think there is any real room for argument.The fact that some employers don't do their research and can't grasp basic logic is worrying.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
It is true though how can a course accepting grades of A*AA not have like a 99% 1st rate and you can say the opposite for courses accepting low amounts of UCAS points for 2 A Levels(how can it have anything above 1% 1st rate)-there is some possibility for outliers students who really struggle at university/don't do the work despite being clever and vice versa which shouldn't account for more than 1%.

The fact that generally grades are reasonably consistent between universities and there aren't massive pass rates at the best unis and massive fail rates at the worst universities, despite their being a massive difference in the ability of the students admitted to their courses shows that their course can't be close to the same difficulty-I don't think there is any real room for argument.The fact that some employers don't do their research and can't grasp basic logic is worrying.

You should understand that A-levels are not really representative of someone's ability, many people flop A-levels for various reasons and do well at university and similarly lots of people pass with aswome grades at A-level but do crap at university.

Also "best" and "worst" are subjective, it depends on a number of factors as to what you're rating them for. Just because someone in a "low" ranked university gets a 2:1 or a first doesn't mean they aren't competent for a job compared to a so called RG graduate who studied the same course. Employers have many barriers in which they test the competency of a candidate such as 2 or so interviews or online tests in order to single out the best candidates for the job.

I find your level of snobbery disgusting, perhaps you will realise how stupid that ideology is once you're at university and start applying for jobs yourself. It's not just about education.
Sadly it seems that the second you do the next qualification the one previous to that isn't as important.
It just the crap that is life:bawling:, apply elsewhere and good luck with it.

So you're saying that someone who spends 3 years at a 'good' uni not working hard and coming out with a low grade should be favoured over someone who works every minute and comes out with a top grade at a 'worse' uni? That's ridiculous. Hard work is rewarded, no matter what uni it is at.
Original post by a10
You should understand that A-levels are not really representative of someone's ability, many people flop A-levels for various reasons and do well at university and similarly lots of people pass with aswome grades at A-level but do crap at university.

Also "best" and "worst" are subjective, it depends on a number of factors as to what you're rating them for. Just because someone in a "low" ranked university gets a 2:1 or a first doesn't mean they aren't competent for a job compared to a so called RG graduate who studied the same course. Employers have many barriers in which they test the competency of a candidate such as 2 or so interviews or online tests in order to single out the best candidates for the job.

I find your level of snobbery disgusting, perhaps you will realise how stupid that ideology is once you're at university and start applying for jobs yourself. It's not just about education.

Very well said.

So you're saying that someone who spends 3 years at a 'good' uni not working hard and coming out with a low grade should be favoured over someone who works every minute and comes out with a top grade at a 'worse' uni? That's ridiculous. Hard work is rewarded, no matter what uni it is at.

This too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a10

A-Levels are very representative of your ability hence why universities ask for A-Level offers and will often reject you even if you just miss your offer.The better universities have tougher and more challenging courses so ask for higher grades.If A-Levels weren't representative offers wouldn't be given out for them.Usually people who think that they aren't representative did badly-don't get fooled by their arrogance.

No I am not saying that at all some of the most clever students can work very hard at the top universities and get poor grades where as at the lower ranked universities they would get a 1st easily, with little work.
Reply 19
A-Levels are very representative of your ability hence why universities ask for A-Level offers and will often reject you even if you just miss your offer.The better universities have tougher and more challenging courses so ask for higher grades.If A-Levels weren't representative offers wouldn't be given out for them.Usually people who think that they aren't representative did badly-don't get fooled by their arrogance.

You do know that grade offers increase due to popularity of the course and do not represent the course difficulty in any way...

For example look at the 2004-2006 prospectus for UCL, chemical engineering requirements where CCC...

Now that the course has gotten way too popular amongst different people and that they receive more applications than places available each year they simply bumped up the grades to keep up with competition from other universities..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending