The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy work experience

I've had my heart set on going into physiotherapy for a while now, and every uni I've spoken to have placed so much emphasis on direct experience to even stand a chance when I apply, however I have been rejected by 10 different places due to "medical confidentiality", however I have quite an experience portfolio running
- Spent a year in a primary school in reception class
- Spent a week rotating in a hospital
- I have a part time job as a sales assistant (irrelevant but possibly helpful?)
- I'm in the middle of doing a fair bit of physio extra reading
- I'm about to start my EPQ dissertation based on the anatomy off sporting injuries

However I'm still not convinced that its enough to make applying worth it? Any tips or help?
???
Reply 2
Original post by emilyjaaayne
I've had my heart set on going into physiotherapy for a while now, and every uni I've spoken to have placed so much emphasis on direct experience to even stand a chance when I apply, however I have been rejected by 10 different places due to "medical confidentiality", however I have quite an experience portfolio running
- I have a part time job as a sales assistant (irrelevant but possibly helpful?)
- I'm about to start my EPQ dissertation based on the anatomy off sporting injuries

However I'm still not convinced that its enough to make applying worth it? Any tips or help?

Why are you so pessimistic?

You've got hospital experience, you deal with the public in your part time job, you're doing physio related reading and you're doing work on it...what's to be down about?

You just need to know how to spin everything in your PS. For example, in your sales job you have learnt a lot of transferable skills e.g. dealing with customers, dealing with complaints, working in a team.

Any questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just wanted to make sure y'know so I wasn't wasting my time applying when I wouldn't get a second look and I could go other ways about it because there was nothing direct in therethank-you so much though! i feel a fair bit better about it :smile: do you do physio?
Reply 4
I just wanted to make sure y'know so I wasn't wasting my time applying when I wouldn't get a second look and I could go other ways about it because there was nothing direct in therethank-you so much though! i feel a fair bit better about it :smile: do you do physio?

No, I do nursing :smile:
-

As long as you can relate to all walks of life within your work experience, it doesn't have to be all physio related. The admissions department understand how hard it can be to get any shadowing, so my advice would be to do volunteering, say in a nursing home, so you can show empathy, and help empowering the residence to make their own informed choices, and maybe be the British Red Cross, as they need people to do massarges for people that have been through a lot of stress. I also helped at a disabled school and helped out at sporting events. Also, email any private practices and ask them if you can go in for an informal chat. They may not be able to let you shadow them, but this shows you are going out of your way to see what they do. ( I did that, and the physio was so impressed they wrote a letter to the admission board!) ALso, is there anyone in your family that needs physio? I went to all family appointments when I could. Try and get as many areas if the community as well, go to your local rugby and football teams, or under 16's and just observe. You will get there in the end Hun xx
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest